Bring Your Own Blog

Talk about Tenet

9 Responses to “Talk about Tenet”

1. Pete B. says:

I’ll discuss the movie more once folks have a chance to see it, as going in blind is the best way. But coming out deaf is the problem. I love Nolan, but he has to get his sound mixing under control. There were sections where I have no idea what the dialogue was because you can’t hear it. This has been an issue in his last few films. My ears physically hurt after seeing Dunkirk, and the the theater actually put up a “volume warning” at the ticket booth. Too bad it was a week after I’d seen it.

Scott Mendelson, who used to post here, said it best in Forbes: “For a film that’s supposed to show audiences that theatrical moviegoing is worth saving, Tenet will probably play better on Blu-ray with the subtitles turned on.”

Still glad I saw it on the IMAX though.

2. J says:

Seeing it Friday night at a drive-in. Really excited, haven’t been to a drive-in in years, and of course haven’t gone to the movies in 6 months or whatever it is. Never thought I’d be seeing a new Nolan film with what I assume will be pretty lousy picture and sound quality, but here we are. Definitely not sitting in a theater with a bunch of other people for a couple hours. I’m sure this will be awesome but I thought the first teaser looked a bit Inceptiony. I’m not too worried about Nolan repeating himself, I’m sure their are numerous completely original mind-blowing set pieces, but I kinda hope Nolan does something weird and really stretches himself next time out.

3. Serg says:

Making “smart movies” that actively belittle and poke fun at the notion that some may not be able to “try and keep up” as JDW says in the movie is I guess, one way to alienate and be condescending towards people giving you money. Trying not to spoil, but using long-debunked quack science as the logic brain for your new puzzle is all good, just don’t pretend like WE are the dumb ones for wanting the often enjoyable experience of understanding the point A to point B (HA! See thermodynamics, wink) dramatic progression and not thinking “about reality (movies/stories really) in a new way”. Trust me, Tenet is no 2001.

It’s hilarious to me that fanboys keep saying Nolan is merely uninterested in spoon feeding lazy moviegoers when ALL of the movie is exposition!!! For every scene that is actually about a character making an emotional discovery (not informational) there’s three of characters learning new information by jetting off halfway around the world for expositional lunch or walk-and-talks where spies and sources finish each other’s sentences as they expose plot. It’s less Shane Carruth by design than by exhaustion.

This may be a highly personal take but yet another Nolan film where his intellectual hubris overpowers the exploration of actual dramatic, emotional depth. Cool and loud but so are Transformers (final act is actually Halo the movie). And the science in those is likely equally as intellectually valid regardless of how Tenet wants you to feel.
    6/10

4. Bob Burns says:

AT&T-Warner had an asset with a built-in big opening. Now they do not. Why deplete assets when you are not replacing them?

David will know much more, but it appears that AT&T Warner pissed away hundreds of millions in box office, and a hundred million in profit. In isolation, the flaws of the film, Nolan’s films, show in high relief. Ironically, Nolan, blowing off the pandemic, looks, and is, as callous and anti-science as Trump.

We have so little film journalism, just features writers, and access journalism at best. This would be an interesting story.

5. Stella's Boy says:

Can’t argue with that Bob.

I figured by now DP would have written 15,000 words on Tenet’s weekend box office and why everyone else’s take is wrong and nobody knows anything.

6. Pete B. says:

It’s sad as IMAX is my preferred choice of seeing a film, but I understood the dialogue much better the second time I saw Tenet in a regular format.
    Still confused, but maybe the third time is the charm?

7. Stella's Boy says:

Some people seem to want to get covid.

8. Ray Pride says:

An online pun: “Branch COVIDians.”

9. Pete B. says:

So on the third viewing of Tenet, things clicked into place. Maybe because I was better rested after weeks of overtime, or maybe because I knew what to look for. Tenet will never be Inception, but it’s an improvement over Interstellar. Still looking forward to when there’s some subtitles.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

Artnet

“Half a century ago, my father made a body of work that shocked the art world. Not only had he violated the canon of what a noted abstract artist should be painting at a time of particularly doctrinaire art criticism, but he dared to hold up a mirror to white America, exposing the banality of evil and the systemic racism we are still struggling to confront today.My father dared to unveil white culpability, our shared role in allowing the racist terror that he had witnessed since boyhood, when the Klan marched openly by the thousands in the streets of Los Angeles.”
Four Museums Postpone Philip Guston Career Retrospective, Saying His Anti-Klan Imagery Does Not Belong In This Moment

Artnet | September 25, 2020

Hollywood Reporter

"On September 10, James Packer’s $200 million megayacht IJE was harbored in Tahiti, where it was scheduled to stay for three months. A bailiff attempted to board the luxury liner to serve the film producer and financier and was told to return the following day because Packer was not there. When the bailiff returned, IJE was pulling out of the harbor and heading to Bora Bora with the Australian billionaire onboard. Meanwhile, in Bulgaria, a process server was attempting to serve Millennium Films CEO Avi Lerner at his Eastern Europe studio. Simultaneously, disgraced film producer Brett Ratner and former Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara were served at their homes in Los Angeles. Sources say the four men were notified of a petition filed September 3 in Los Angeles Superior Court by a woman named Melissa Parker, who was facing off against Clark Grandin, Bruce Hamilton, Gregory Kemp and Walter Nelson. The names wouldn’t ring a bell with anyone in the Hollywood community. That’s because they are pseudonyms, with Parker being a stand-in for Charlotte Kirk — the British actress at the center of a scandal that has led to the ouster of two studio executives from their top perches, Tsujihara and NBCUniversal chief Ron Meyer. The defendants are, in fact, Ratner, Tsujihara, Packer and Lerner. The men have used these pseudonyms in legal documents since 2017 in an attempt to shield their identities amid explosive claims."

Hollywood Reporter | September 25, 2020

Variety

Aaron Sorkin: "When you bring home a puppy, it’s said you should get a crate that is big just about big enough for the puppy to move around. That confined space will make the puppy feel secure. It’s the same with me. I like the four walls of the court and the office. I only have one movie under my belt, Molly’s Game, which had three principal characters. This film has eleven stars, most of whom are leads in their own movies and it has riots and teargas scenes. That’s not part of the puppy crate. Just writing the words, 'Exterior: Scene' on a screenplay makes me dizzy.... When I left Spielberg's house [in 2006], I called my father because I didn’t know about the events Steven was referring to. I said yes because it was Steven and he said there was a trial, so I thought courtroom and that was enough.”

Variety | September 25, 2020

Jonathan Lethem: "The sensation of sitting alone in the theater is one I compulsively compare to going to a brain laundromat. I’m there to have my brain rinsed in the stream of images. I specify “compulsively” because I think of this comparison every time I go. Watching a big screen in the dark relaxes and restores me, and takes me out of the realm of criticism and language that too often overtakes my pleasure at the immersive flow of reading. Those personal “sites”—immersive reading, dreamy-attentive moviegoing—are primal for me, and sacred."

September 24, 2020