Bring Your Own Blog

Talk about Tenet

9 Responses to “Talk about Tenet”

1. Pete B. says:

I’ll discuss the movie more once folks have a chance to see it, as going in blind is the best way. But coming out deaf is the problem. I love Nolan, but he has to get his sound mixing under control. There were sections where I have no idea what the dialogue was because you can’t hear it. This has been an issue in his last few films. My ears physically hurt after seeing Dunkirk, and the the theater actually put up a “volume warning” at the ticket booth. Too bad it was a week after I’d seen it.

Scott Mendelson, who used to post here, said it best in Forbes: “For a film that’s supposed to show audiences that theatrical moviegoing is worth saving, Tenet will probably play better on Blu-ray with the subtitles turned on.”

Still glad I saw it on the IMAX though.

2. J says:

Seeing it Friday night at a drive-in. Really excited, haven’t been to a drive-in in years, and of course haven’t gone to the movies in 6 months or whatever it is. Never thought I’d be seeing a new Nolan film with what I assume will be pretty lousy picture and sound quality, but here we are. Definitely not sitting in a theater with a bunch of other people for a couple hours. I’m sure this will be awesome but I thought the first teaser looked a bit Inceptiony. I’m not too worried about Nolan repeating himself, I’m sure their are numerous completely original mind-blowing set pieces, but I kinda hope Nolan does something weird and really stretches himself next time out.

3. Serg says:

Making “smart movies” that actively belittle and poke fun at the notion that some may not be able to “try and keep up” as JDW says in the movie is I guess, one way to alienate and be condescending towards people giving you money. Trying not to spoil, but using long-debunked quack science as the logic brain for your new puzzle is all good, just don’t pretend like WE are the dumb ones for wanting the often enjoyable experience of understanding the point A to point B (HA! See thermodynamics, wink) dramatic progression and not thinking “about reality (movies/stories really) in a new way”. Trust me, Tenet is no 2001.

It’s hilarious to me that fanboys keep saying Nolan is merely uninterested in spoon feeding lazy moviegoers when ALL of the movie is exposition!!! For every scene that is actually about a character making an emotional discovery (not informational) there’s three of characters learning new information by jetting off halfway around the world for expositional lunch or walk-and-talks where spies and sources finish each other’s sentences as they expose plot. It’s less Shane Carruth by design than by exhaustion.

This may be a highly personal take but yet another Nolan film where his intellectual hubris overpowers the exploration of actual dramatic, emotional depth. Cool and loud but so are Transformers (final act is actually Halo the movie). And the science in those is likely equally as intellectually valid regardless of how Tenet wants you to feel.
    6/10

4. Bob Burns says:

AT&T-Warner had an asset with a built-in big opening. Now they do not. Why deplete assets when you are not replacing them?

David will know much more, but it appears that AT&T Warner pissed away hundreds of millions in box office, and a hundred million in profit. In isolation, the flaws of the film, Nolan’s films, show in high relief. Ironically, Nolan, blowing off the pandemic, looks, and is, as callous and anti-science as Trump.

We have so little film journalism, just features writers, and access journalism at best. This would be an interesting story.

5. Stella's Boy says:

Can’t argue with that Bob.

I figured by now DP would have written 15,000 words on Tenet’s weekend box office and why everyone else’s take is wrong and nobody knows anything.

6. Pete B. says:

It’s sad as IMAX is my preferred choice of seeing a film, but I understood the dialogue much better the second time I saw Tenet in a regular format.
    Still confused, but maybe the third time is the charm?

7. Stella's Boy says:

Some people seem to want to get covid.

8. Ray Pride says:

An online pun: “Branch COVIDians.”

9. Pete B. says:

So on the third viewing of Tenet, things clicked into place. Maybe because I was better rested after weeks of overtime, or maybe because I knew what to look for. Tenet will never be Inception, but it’s an improvement over Interstellar. Still looking forward to when there’s some subtitles.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

Gurus On A Tighter Race: Picture, Director, Acting, Writing

Ray Pride | March 5, 2021

How To Fix Viacom

David Poland | March 5, 2021

Mold and Globes

David Poland | March 1, 2021

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

New City Film

A Making-Of And An Almost Unmaking-Of And Finally, Modest Success: What Happened With Sundance 2020's The Last Shift With Its Pandemic Theatrical Run?

New City Film | March 5, 2021

Twitter

California Will Reopen Amusement Parks Like Disneyland, Stadiums And Concert Venues On April 1

Twitter | March 5, 2021

Vanity Fair

"Midnight Cowboy shattered many barriers. Men like these—hungry, hollow outcasts—had never been depicted with such honesty and directness in a mainstream American movie. Neither had this vision of New York—cold, bleak, corrupted. The acting is superb—not just Voight and Hoffman, but a small troupe of brilliant supporting actors—the screenplay terse and powerful, the camerawork fluid, the music poignant and engaging. Even the costumes are memorable. Still, no one expected the movie to make a dime. On the way to their first screening before the executives at United Artists, the chronically anxious Schlesinger turned to Hellman, his producing partner, and asked, 'Really, Jerry, do you think anyone in their right mind will pay good money to see this rubbish?'"
Excerpting Glenn Frankel's "Shooting Midnight Cowboy: Art, Sex, Loneliness, Liberation and the Making of a Dark Classic"

Vanity Fair | March 5, 2021

Rushfield: “The exhibition industry, even post-apocalypse, remains what it has been for a long time now: an industry dominated by bottom-feeding venture capitalists looking to squeeze as much money out of it as they can in as short a time as possible before they dump their companies or liquidate them. But what they certainly don't do is invest in anything that won't pay for itself in six weeks. In most businesses, that pattern is what's known as The Death Spiral or The Doom Loop. And that's why the whole windows/theatrical vs. streaming debate is completely screwed up and hopeless. As much as in my heart I would like to be team theatrical until I die, you look at on the one side, you've got a company like Netflix whose lightning rise has been driven at every moment by a fanatical, no-detail-is-too-granular obsession with customer experience and improving that pixel by pixel. On the other side, you've got a company like AMC still making bullying noises about the windows and not budging in putting their gouged customers through an experience that rivals a major airport hub. Its visionary CEO (self-described), after a year of his company being dead in the water and having to discharge most of its employees and having agitated and fumed for a government bailout, awards himself a $3 million bonus.”

March 4, 2021