Bring Your Own Blog

Talk about Tenet

9 Responses to “Talk about Tenet”

1. Pete B. says:

I’ll discuss the movie more once folks have a chance to see it, as going in blind is the best way. But coming out deaf is the problem. I love Nolan, but he has to get his sound mixing under control. There were sections where I have no idea what the dialogue was because you can’t hear it. This has been an issue in his last few films. My ears physically hurt after seeing Dunkirk, and the the theater actually put up a “volume warning” at the ticket booth. Too bad it was a week after I’d seen it.

Scott Mendelson, who used to post here, said it best in Forbes: “For a film that’s supposed to show audiences that theatrical moviegoing is worth saving, Tenet will probably play better on Blu-ray with the subtitles turned on.”

Still glad I saw it on the IMAX though.

2. J says:

Seeing it Friday night at a drive-in. Really excited, haven’t been to a drive-in in years, and of course haven’t gone to the movies in 6 months or whatever it is. Never thought I’d be seeing a new Nolan film with what I assume will be pretty lousy picture and sound quality, but here we are. Definitely not sitting in a theater with a bunch of other people for a couple hours. I’m sure this will be awesome but I thought the first teaser looked a bit Inceptiony. I’m not too worried about Nolan repeating himself, I’m sure their are numerous completely original mind-blowing set pieces, but I kinda hope Nolan does something weird and really stretches himself next time out.

3. Serg says:

Making “smart movies” that actively belittle and poke fun at the notion that some may not be able to “try and keep up” as JDW says in the movie is I guess, one way to alienate and be condescending towards people giving you money. Trying not to spoil, but using long-debunked quack science as the logic brain for your new puzzle is all good, just don’t pretend like WE are the dumb ones for wanting the often enjoyable experience of understanding the point A to point B (HA! See thermodynamics, wink) dramatic progression and not thinking “about reality (movies/stories really) in a new way”. Trust me, Tenet is no 2001.

It’s hilarious to me that fanboys keep saying Nolan is merely uninterested in spoon feeding lazy moviegoers when ALL of the movie is exposition!!! For every scene that is actually about a character making an emotional discovery (not informational) there’s three of characters learning new information by jetting off halfway around the world for expositional lunch or walk-and-talks where spies and sources finish each other’s sentences as they expose plot. It’s less Shane Carruth by design than by exhaustion.

This may be a highly personal take but yet another Nolan film where his intellectual hubris overpowers the exploration of actual dramatic, emotional depth. Cool and loud but so are Transformers (final act is actually Halo the movie). And the science in those is likely equally as intellectually valid regardless of how Tenet wants you to feel.
    6/10

4. Bob Burns says:

AT&T-Warner had an asset with a built-in big opening. Now they do not. Why deplete assets when you are not replacing them?

David will know much more, but it appears that AT&T Warner pissed away hundreds of millions in box office, and a hundred million in profit. In isolation, the flaws of the film, Nolan’s films, show in high relief. Ironically, Nolan, blowing off the pandemic, looks, and is, as callous and anti-science as Trump.

We have so little film journalism, just features writers, and access journalism at best. This would be an interesting story.

5. Stella's Boy says:

Can’t argue with that Bob.

I figured by now DP would have written 15,000 words on Tenet’s weekend box office and why everyone else’s take is wrong and nobody knows anything.

6. Pete B. says:

It’s sad as IMAX is my preferred choice of seeing a film, but I understood the dialogue much better the second time I saw Tenet in a regular format.
    Still confused, but maybe the third time is the charm?

7. Stella's Boy says:

Some people seem to want to get covid.

8. Ray Pride says:

An online pun: “Branch COVIDians.”

9. Pete B. says:

So on the third viewing of Tenet, things clicked into place. Maybe because I was better rested after weeks of overtime, or maybe because I knew what to look for. Tenet will never be Inception, but it’s an improvement over Interstellar. Still looking forward to when there’s some subtitles.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

Thankful 2020

David Poland | November 26, 2020

22 Weeks To *Oscar: The Politics

David Poland | November 24, 2020

It’s The Most Wacky Awards Time Of Year

David Poland | November 18, 2020

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

Yahoo

Owen Gleiberman Takes A While To Approach A Point About All Writers, Which, To These Eyes, Is Perhaps That Even The Most Discursive And The Most Prolix And The Most Enervating Among Us (Close And, Yes, Also Far Away), Are Deserving Of An Editor, One Who Is Not A Friend, But One Who Is Still Kind And Stern: "But not really. Because even once you accept that Orson Welles did deserve the co-screenplay credit for Citizen Kane, there’s a question that lingers, and it’s the mystery that I think Kael tried (unsuccessfully) to poke at. Kael’s essay, among other things, was a kind of backhanded meditation on the inner meaning of what a screenplay is. And the reason that question creates such an endless conundrum when we think of Citizen Kane is that Kane was the Hollywood movie that changed the answer to it. If you believe, as I do, that Kane is the greatest movie to have come out of classic Hollywood, and maybe the greatest movie ever made, and then you ask, “Okay, but why is it the greatest movie?,” the answer is 50 reasons at once — the visionary excitement of it, the through-a-snow-globe-darkly gothic majesty of it, the joyous acting and grand brooding cinematography, the hypnotic structure, the playfulness, the doomy haunting mythology of Rosebud, and on and on and on. The pleasures and profundity of Kane are right there on the surface, and infinitely deep beneath the surface."

Yahoo | November 29, 2020

France: "On one hand, citizens are asked to accept the possibility of being filmed under the pretext that they have nothing to fear if they have done nothing wrong. And at the same time the police refuse to be filmed, which is a right in every democracy

November 29, 2020