Bring Your Own Blog

BYOB 2020 Has Arrived

7 Responses to “BYOB 2020 Has Arrived”

1. Monco says:

So we’ve come to another decade. I like lists and wanted to get a best movies of the decade thread going with the MCN community. I’ll start things off. (If this has been started elsewhere I apologize)

1. Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019)
    2. Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010)
    3. War Horse (Spielberg, 2011)
    4. The Master (Anderson, 2012)
    5. Drive (Refn, 2011)
    6. Hacksaw Ridge (Gibson, 2016)
    7. The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)
    8. The Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)
    9. Ex Machina (Garland, 2015)
    10. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen brothers, 2014)

Top 5 performances
    1. Natalie Portman, Black Swan
    2. Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
    3. Marion Cotillard, The Immigrant
    4. Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
    5. Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Ever since I walked out of the theater after seeing Black Swan it has been my unquestioned best of the decade until this summer when I saw Once Upon a Time. I’ve got to give it up to Quentin recency bias be damned. I did not think he was capable of making a movie this great again after a string of underwhelming movies for me. This is a truly great work that celebrates all I love about movies.

2. JJ says:

My Top 10 of the decade in no particular order:

Boyhood
    Drive
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Roma
    Phantom Thread
    Blade Runner 2049
    True Grit
    Interstellar
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    Everybody Wants Some!!

…something like that. probably forgetting a couple things, and tons of stuff I haven’t seen.

3. Hcat says:

Have no problem at all with the Oscar noms, but feel bad that A24 didn’t get any traction on anything. After winning for Moonlight so soon into their existence they seemed like they would be a perennial contender. Not that they didn’t have a good year both critically and financially, but that’s got to be a kick in the teeth to not be able to put anything sexier than cinematography into the crowd.

4. JJ says:

So that big community of people who used to post on the Hot Blog constantly never resurfaced? I thought there’d be 100 comments on here. Where’d everybody go? Did all of that old-school crew who was on here commenting every day for years not return after the re-design, or am I just in the wrong place?

5. Stella's Boy says:

The BYOB is a little hard to find. Only yesterday did I see this even though I visit MCN almost daily. I’ve been posting in the comments section for the stories that are at the top of the home page. I never scrolled down far enough to see the BYOB. Not sure if that’s an issue for anyone else. Long live A24. Uncut Gems > OUATIH. Not even close.

6. Hcat says:

So based on the early reviews it appears that the only two people in the world who will enjoy Doolittle are Kevin Reynolds and Costner, who at least were able to make their $170 million debacle for Universal coherent and a little interesting (and a wee bit profitable). Universal’s strengths are always in the small and midrange size films (or growing large) and whenever they go REAL BIG out of the gate they get hit by a truck. Do they have a lot of turnover in their ranks or just no institutional memory? You would think after Battleship, 47 Ronin and Mortal Engines they would think “Damn, lets never do that again.”

7. Stella's Boy says:

Good point Hcat. Were they that confident in RDJ’s ability to draw people in? And if so, why? Not exactly a track record of huge box office success outside of the MCU.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

"Remember that every time a man commits a violent act it only takes one or two steps to figure out how it’s a woman’s fault, and that these dance steps are widely known and practiced and quite a bit of fun," writes Rebecca Solnit. "There are things men do that are the fault of women who are too sexy, and other things men do that are the fault of women who are not sexy enough, but women only come in those two flavors: not enough, too much, and it is the fate of heterosexual men to endure this affliction. Wives are responsible for their husbands, especially if their husbands are supremely powerful and terrifying figures leading double lives and accountable to no one. But women are now also in the workforce, where they have so many opportunities to be responsible for other men as well."

January 16, 2020

Vanity Fair

“If I’d stayed in Hollywood, I don’t think I’d have a career right now. I don’t think I’d have my voice. So I’m happy that I chose that, to come through basically 10 years of slugging it out in New Zealand. By the time I made Thor: Ragnarok, I was still sleeping on my friend’s couch here in L.A., and by then I was very sure of who I was and very confident in the stories I wanted to tell and how to tell them."
Taiki Waititi Rumored For Post-"Mandalorian: Star Wars Outing

Vanity Fair | January 16, 2020

The New York Times

Google Joins Monoliths Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, With Trillion-Dollar Market Cap

The New York Times | January 16, 2020

“I felt like my film had been studied in semiotics class and they had been given the task of ‘Remake this.' Nothing was left untaken.”
Authorship Claims By Director of 2013 Sundance Feature Against Shyamalan's Apple Series "The Servant"

January 16, 2020