Bring Your Own Blog

Golden Globes Nomination Day!

Okay, once and former Hot Bloggers… here is space for you to communicate amongst yourselves. We are working on a permanent space for this.

If you have any subjects you want set up, let me or Ray know. Have a good time!

9 Responses to “Golden Globes Nomination Day!”

1. Pete B. says:

Has nothing to do with the Golden Globes…
    Even though we don’t agree on anything, here’s hoping Leah is okay in the wake of the volcano in NZ.

2. Sam E. says:

Sure I’ll play along. Stock up has to be Parasite stock down has to be Uncut Gems. Also, it’s official no one in the world likes Cats.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Ugh Joker. The Fanatic > Joker. Every movie I saw this year > Joker. I don’t put a lot of stock in awards and my favorites are hardly ever recognized and never win but it still irks me to see Joker get nominated for anything that isn’t a Razzie.

4. Hcat says:

I can’t believe Cats didn’t get a nomination, how bad could it be not to have an easy walk in. Parasite would have been eligible for the main categories right? That it only got a foreign language nod yet Netflix takes up four of the ten picture slots might be looked back on as a tipping point a few years down the line. I can see why other distribs were reluctant to have Netflix’s films in contention. They have some pretty sharp elbows.

5. Sam E says:

@Hcat from the wikipedia page on the Golden Globes: “The HFPA,…specifically makes foreign-language films ineligible for its two Best Picture Awards for live-action films (Best Drama and Best Musical or Comedy)”

6. hcat says:

Thanks Sam. It was worrisome when I thought it was overlooked as the Globes seem to be a little more enthusiastic about foreign language films than the academy.

Folks… we are working on having a space with a number of these threads available for open conversation moving forward. Excuse our dust… but we will get there.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8. palmtree says:

SB, Joker’s just gonna get nominated by the Globes. It’s what you’d expect. Every year they nominate a few unworthy films just to keep the big wigs and the big names happy. It’s a party after all.

But having said that, I know some people who have a hard time saying the Joker is a bad movie, because it does a reasonable facsimile of a good one. The gurus even have it at #10 although it seems poised to drop once the other contenders become more widely seen. But of course, that doesn’t mean WB won’t do everything they can to make sure it’ll get in there. But until it does, I don’t necessarily think the Globes mean anything.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Very true palmtree. I’m just bitter and angry about that movie and all its accolades.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

The Star

"The hundreds of movie stars and filmmakers who normally swarm TIFF were kept out of Toronto by the closure of the Canada-U.S. border to all but essential crossings and by strict quarantine rules for visitors. TIFF compensated by enlisting celebrities as festival ambassadors to engage in virtual versions of Q&A sessions. Numbers are not available yet for how many tickets were sold. Bailey and Vicente said they’re delighted with public response to TIFF 2020’s new venues, especially the West Island Open Air Cinema at Ontario Place, where moviegoers snapped up tickets to sit in Muskoka chairs in socially distanced circles. 'People loved that,' Bailey says. The fest also had to cope, just before opening day, regarding its plan to let people take their masks off inside TIFF Bell Lightbox screenings, so they could consume snacks. Masks were deemed mandatory throughout screenings, robbing TIFF of a chance to recoup some of its financial losses through concession sales."

The Star | September 20, 2020

“We’re going to be setting up a very large fund for the education of American youth... Do me a favor, could you put up $5 billion into a fund for education, so we can educate people as to real history of our country -- the real history, not the fake history?"
Oracle And Walmart Appear Ready To Split TikTok Proceeds After Acceding To Trump Demand For $5 Billion Toward Trump's "1776 Committee," Fashioned From Spite Over The 1619 Project; Money Will Be Spent To Alter Teaching Of American History And Indoctrinate Students In Trump Image

September 19, 2020

Variety

"Provide Walmart with an important way for us to reach and serve omnichannel customers as well as grow our third-party marketplace and advertising businesses."

Variety | September 19, 2020

The Guardian

Edgar Wright: "'Diana Rigg will meet you at Berners Tavern.” Just seeing those words written in a text gave me an anxious thrill. Despite her illustrious work on stage and screen (big and small), the blushing adolescent in me was still nervously excited to meet Emma Peel. When I walked into the restaurant I was dead on time. But she was fifteen minutes early, already at the table and looking fabulous in leopard print and gold bangles. After I stumbled through my hello, she offered, “I’m having a Campari and soda, darling, will you have one?” That was the first time, aged 45, I’d ever had a Campari and soda. And what a great way to start."

"It has been compared to western war movies such as Dunkirk (although there is more than a touch of Michael Bay’s Pearl Harbor in there), and so far it has taken more than $400 million at the box office, making it the second-highest-grossing movie of the year worldwide. The Eight Hundred draws attention to the meteoric progress of China’s increasingly blockbuster-oriented film industry, but also to the Chinese government’s determination to stamp its authority on it. The two might be on a collision course."

Winston Groom, 77, Survived By A Box Of Choc'lates