Bring Your Own Blog

Golden Globes Nomination Day!

Okay, once and former Hot Bloggers… here is space for you to communicate amongst yourselves. We are working on a permanent space for this.

If you have any subjects you want set up, let me or Ray know. Have a good time!

9 Responses to “Golden Globes Nomination Day!”

1. Pete B. says:

Has nothing to do with the Golden Globes…
    Even though we don’t agree on anything, here’s hoping Leah is okay in the wake of the volcano in NZ.

2. Sam E. says:

Sure I’ll play along. Stock up has to be Parasite stock down has to be Uncut Gems. Also, it’s official no one in the world likes Cats.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Ugh Joker. The Fanatic > Joker. Every movie I saw this year > Joker. I don’t put a lot of stock in awards and my favorites are hardly ever recognized and never win but it still irks me to see Joker get nominated for anything that isn’t a Razzie.

4. Hcat says:

I can’t believe Cats didn’t get a nomination, how bad could it be not to have an easy walk in. Parasite would have been eligible for the main categories right? That it only got a foreign language nod yet Netflix takes up four of the ten picture slots might be looked back on as a tipping point a few years down the line. I can see why other distribs were reluctant to have Netflix’s films in contention. They have some pretty sharp elbows.

5. Sam E says:

@Hcat from the wikipedia page on the Golden Globes: “The HFPA,…specifically makes foreign-language films ineligible for its two Best Picture Awards for live-action films (Best Drama and Best Musical or Comedy)”

6. hcat says:

Thanks Sam. It was worrisome when I thought it was overlooked as the Globes seem to be a little more enthusiastic about foreign language films than the academy.

Folks… we are working on having a space with a number of these threads available for open conversation moving forward. Excuse our dust… but we will get there.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8. palmtree says:

SB, Joker’s just gonna get nominated by the Globes. It’s what you’d expect. Every year they nominate a few unworthy films just to keep the big wigs and the big names happy. It’s a party after all.

But having said that, I know some people who have a hard time saying the Joker is a bad movie, because it does a reasonable facsimile of a good one. The gurus even have it at #10 although it seems poised to drop once the other contenders become more widely seen. But of course, that doesn’t mean WB won’t do everything they can to make sure it’ll get in there. But until it does, I don’t necessarily think the Globes mean anything.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Very true palmtree. I’m just bitter and angry about that movie and all its accolades.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All