Bring Your Own Blog

Golden Globes Nomination Day!

Okay, once and former Hot Bloggers… here is space for you to communicate amongst yourselves. We are working on a permanent space for this.

If you have any subjects you want set up, let me or Ray know. Have a good time!

9 Responses to “Golden Globes Nomination Day!”

1. Pete B. says:

Has nothing to do with the Golden Globes…
    Even though we don’t agree on anything, here’s hoping Leah is okay in the wake of the volcano in NZ.

2. Sam E. says:

Sure I’ll play along. Stock up has to be Parasite stock down has to be Uncut Gems. Also, it’s official no one in the world likes Cats.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Ugh Joker. The Fanatic > Joker. Every movie I saw this year > Joker. I don’t put a lot of stock in awards and my favorites are hardly ever recognized and never win but it still irks me to see Joker get nominated for anything that isn’t a Razzie.

4. Hcat says:

I can’t believe Cats didn’t get a nomination, how bad could it be not to have an easy walk in. Parasite would have been eligible for the main categories right? That it only got a foreign language nod yet Netflix takes up four of the ten picture slots might be looked back on as a tipping point a few years down the line. I can see why other distribs were reluctant to have Netflix’s films in contention. They have some pretty sharp elbows.

5. Sam E says:

@Hcat from the wikipedia page on the Golden Globes: “The HFPA,…specifically makes foreign-language films ineligible for its two Best Picture Awards for live-action films (Best Drama and Best Musical or Comedy)”

6. hcat says:

Thanks Sam. It was worrisome when I thought it was overlooked as the Globes seem to be a little more enthusiastic about foreign language films than the academy.

Folks… we are working on having a space with a number of these threads available for open conversation moving forward. Excuse our dust… but we will get there.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8. palmtree says:

SB, Joker’s just gonna get nominated by the Globes. It’s what you’d expect. Every year they nominate a few unworthy films just to keep the big wigs and the big names happy. It’s a party after all.

But having said that, I know some people who have a hard time saying the Joker is a bad movie, because it does a reasonable facsimile of a good one. The gurus even have it at #10 although it seems poised to drop once the other contenders become more widely seen. But of course, that doesn’t mean WB won’t do everything they can to make sure it’ll get in there. But until it does, I don’t necessarily think the Globes mean anything.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Very true palmtree. I’m just bitter and angry about that movie and all its accolades.

MCN Commentary & Analysis See All

The News Curated by Ray Pride See All

"Remember that every time a man commits a violent act it only takes one or two steps to figure out how it’s a woman’s fault, and that these dance steps are widely known and practiced and quite a bit of fun," writes Rebecca Solnit. "There are things men do that are the fault of women who are too sexy, and other things men do that are the fault of women who are not sexy enough, but women only come in those two flavors: not enough, too much, and it is the fate of heterosexual men to endure this affliction. Wives are responsible for their husbands, especially if their husbands are supremely powerful and terrifying figures leading double lives and accountable to no one. But women are now also in the workforce, where they have so many opportunities to be responsible for other men as well."

January 16, 2020

Vanity Fair

“If I’d stayed in Hollywood, I don’t think I’d have a career right now. I don’t think I’d have my voice. So I’m happy that I chose that, to come through basically 10 years of slugging it out in New Zealand. By the time I made Thor: Ragnarok, I was still sleeping on my friend’s couch here in L.A., and by then I was very sure of who I was and very confident in the stories I wanted to tell and how to tell them."
Taiki Waititi Rumored For Post-"Mandalorian: Star Wars Outing

Vanity Fair | January 16, 2020

The New York Times

Google Joins Monoliths Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, With Trillion-Dollar Market Cap

The New York Times | January 16, 2020

“I felt like my film had been studied in semiotics class and they had been given the task of ‘Remake this.' Nothing was left untaken.”
Authorship Claims By Director of 2013 Sundance Feature Against Shyamalan's Apple Series "The Servant"

January 16, 2020