Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BYO Anima: Trailering HIDDEN LIFE

1. The trailer is cut to suggest that the historical moment is not then, but now.

2. Those pull-quotes are…

3. Jörg Widmer.

Be Sociable, Share!

11 Responses to “BYO Anima: Trailering HIDDEN LIFE”

1. MarkVH80 says:

Regarding 1), it’s interesting how on-the-nose a lot of this dialogue (monologue?) sounds. Malick is probably cinema’s greatest chronicler of the internal spiritual life (YMMV on this, but I’m a huge fan) so to hear so much of this conflict expressed outwardly feels…weird.

2. Bulldog68 says:

He hasn’t made one movie I’ve liked. Sorry. I know the artistic community basically has an orgasm every time the new Malick drops like it’s manna from heaven, but I find his stuff pretentiously boring and easily forgettable.

I get what you’re saying Mark re the on-the-nose dialogue, but maybe for fucking once his characters may be actually saying what they’re feeling instead of going into a 5 page dialogue explaining what they’re feeling and then a cut to stock footage from NASA and National Geographic.

3. Bulldog68 says:

While I rant, First Reformed sucked. There…I said it.

4. leahnz says:

i rather loathe ‘first ref’, tho hawke’s perf is good. it’s one of those deals. you are not alone (it’s a theme)

i’ll always give mallick a go and this is not what i expected. good timing at least, thematically.

5. Bulldog68 says:

Maybe I remembered wrong Leah, but I thought there was nothing but gushy praise on this blog for Reformed. So I finally decided to give it a watch. I get ambiguous ending, but that was on a whole new level of disrespect for an audience that has spent two hours of their time with you.

I get ambiguity, and in my mind something like the ending of Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing is ambiguous. He doesn’t give you the answers, yet he tells a story that started when the day started and ended when the day ending.

Afterward I read some of the critical reviews, some of which were falling over themselves at that ending being of great artistic merit. Bullshit.

6. leahnz says:

bulldog, i may have missed the ‘first reformed’ gush here but i’m not at all surprised (i can only assure you i was not a gusher/gushee).

super OT obv but since the new mallick trailer doesn’t seem to be setting the blog alight, re first reformed: viewing experiences are personal and anecdotal, and i went in aware of the raves but i avoided details so i didn’t know hardly anything about it and was so disappointed – and i went with a friend who disliked it even more than i did so the post-flick analysis was brutal.
    SPOILERS it started out interesting/a bit thematically compelling but just descended into a dirge of cliches – i saw everything coming (and i don’t mean that in a skiting way, it was just predicable) and i didn’t buy the radicalisation of toller into such extremist thought and action the way it was portrayed – it wasn’t believable or compelling, really, just a bit forced – and the same tired gender essentialism, roles and POV was a bore. i kept thinking in the back of my head ‘surely this isn’t going to end the way it ends’, so there you go. i think it would have been a far more interesting movie if toller had gone through with it and blown them all to shit, at least that would have had some clarity and impact, really said something, albeit horrible.
    as it stands, i interpreted the very end as either he was ‘saved’ by her (ick) or he drank the drain stuff, died and then death-magined the rest, which is also kinda cliche and weak but at least not as tired as option 1.

7. Stella's Boy says:

I love First Reformed for about 30 minutes. Hawke is indeed fantastic and I found his conversations with the husband to be pretty compelling and provocative. But it falls apart in a hurry and by the end I really hated it. One of last year’s most overrated. As for Malick, doesn’t do much for me, but to be fair I’ve skipped his last couple movies.

8. Christian says:

DISAPPOINTING THREAD so far! 🙂

“First Reformed” is great, but admittedly, it’s an experiment in style. Still has to work as a character drama, and if it doesn’t work for you, I understand. But as an example of Schrader’s Transcendental Style, it’s fantastic.

I LOL’d at Leah’s “I saw it all coming” take. You saw the body-on-body scene coming, did ya?

I chuckle especially because before my screening, I got to talk with Schrader, and I told him I had read an interview earlier that day in which he had obliquely discussed the film’s ending. I was pretty sure I had figured out what would happen at the movie’s conclusion, I told him.

“I don’t think you have,” he told me with a smile.

He was right! Boy, was he right.

9. leahnz says:

no christian ftr i didn’t see the floating coming, that would be silly (that bit was weird/esoteric at least, and like stella’s above and i also mentioned before, i did like the fist act)
    what i saw coming/guessed would happen next, just off the top of my head, was — SPOILERS:
    the suicide; tollar going down the rabbit hole into the husband dude’s world of bleak environmental existentialism and dread; discovering that the church was involved/corrupt; tollar responding to this in an uncharacteristically stupid manner somehow as he unravels from cognitive dissonance (not specifically a suicide bombing); that after he tells mary (mary! hurdur) DON’T COME TO THE CELEBRATION THING! that she would, in fact, show up at the church for the celebration thing; that when he sees her he’d pike out on his suicide bomb scheme because he can’t possibly esplode his mentee for whom he has a repressed boner and just do the suicide part, like the husband – and that she would stop him somehow because the love of a waaaay younger good bland blonde pregnant women is all you really need at the end of the day (and to put your tongue down her throat, which happens possibly after you’ve died – which i did not see coming or guess would happen from the flowchart of tropes and cliches – as the final scene leaves up in the air)

10. Christian says:

I can’t hold a candle to your cynicism, Leah. I suppose your reaction is *partly* Schrader’s fault, although the more predictable elements are, I think (?) he’d say, by design – but only to the end that you’re surprised/lifted/elevated by the conclusion, which you clearly were not.

It’s OK not to like the film, although unlike you, I thought the film improved as it unspooled. I was genuinely horrified by what preceded the final shot – people inflicting hideous wounds on their person will do that to me, and no, I did *not* see those moments coming – but even before the (to me) startling ending, the body-on-body scene would put this film in rarified territory. That was The Scene of 2018 for me – amazing enough to forgive any number of cinematic sins, although again, I didn’t see many in “First Reformed.”

11. leahnz says:

not sure it’s cynicism, more like exhaustion

(i’d watch it again like on cable, see how a second viewing holds up)

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

Pete B. on: BYO Post-JOKER

Amblinman on: BYO Post-JOKER

Amblinman on: BYO Post-JOKER

moviemsan on: BYO Post-JOKER

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

Geoff on: BYO Post-JOKER

leahnz on: BYOFall

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh