Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Something’s Coming: Spielberg Finds His Maria

8 Responses to “Something’s Coming: Spielberg Finds His Maria”

1. movieman says:

She’s adorable–and a wonderful singer.
    For the first time since Spielberg announced (the project), I’m cautiously optimistic about a “WSS” reboot.

2. Bob Burns says:

Spielberg’s making the straight West Side Story.

3. movieman says:

Bob- But is Tony Kushner making “the straight WSS”???

4. Stella's Boy says:

I find it difficult to care at all about Spielberg remaking West Side Story. Seems like there would be numerous more interesting projects he could take on.

5. Bob Burns says:

movieman…. yes, of course. I was thinking back to the great, gay troika of the original.

6. Hcat says:

This has to be a great relief for Casting. I’m sure they were wondering how do you solve a problem like Maria.

I am pretty amped for this, curious if they are going with the same chorography style. Of all the classic musicals I mention to people that get groans, WSS is highest on the list because the fight dancing is seen as laughable.

7. PcChongor says:

Hats off to Spielberg for this. Saw him scouting at Julliard back in October and figured the whole thing would just be a rote redo of something that deserves to be special for a group of people who’re even oft underrepresented in their *own* stories.

8. leahnz says:

she got pipes

“Dude, I don’t like the way you talk, bro. How can you tell me that it’s going to be hard? Do you see a lot of people like you writing stories? Give me a break, bro. That’s your strength, that you’re not like us. Go out there and tell your stories. Don’t go out there and try to be like Quentin or me or anybody else. We need you. Tell me what makes you angry, why you’re arrogant, or fearful, whatever it is. Don’t hide anything. Be honest. What is that thing that bothers you and makes you distinct? Everyone’s looking for you. A Mexican point-of-view to tell a story right now? I’m telling you, everybody wants that right now. I desperately need you to tell your story in your way. You are essential.”
~ M. Night Shyamalan

“My films are always brought to life from an idea, a coincidence, or a dreamlike magic. An ephemeral moment that settles in my mind and starts to bloom. The plot slowly appears before my eyes, and there’s nothing left but to write it. I actually do use a mood board. And location scouting is essential to the realization of the film. I’m inspired by architecture — the beauty of certain neighborhoods, the mystery in odd buildings, or streets that suggest psychoanalytic theories. I only choose my actors after I write the script.”
~ Dario Argento