Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Something’s Coming: Spielberg Finds His Maria

8 Responses to “Something’s Coming: Spielberg Finds His Maria”

1. movieman says:

She’s adorable–and a wonderful singer.
    For the first time since Spielberg announced (the project), I’m cautiously optimistic about a “WSS” reboot.

2. Bob Burns says:

Spielberg’s making the straight West Side Story.

3. movieman says:

Bob- But is Tony Kushner making “the straight WSS”???

4. Stella's Boy says:

I find it difficult to care at all about Spielberg remaking West Side Story. Seems like there would be numerous more interesting projects he could take on.

5. Bob Burns says:

movieman…. yes, of course. I was thinking back to the great, gay troika of the original.

6. Hcat says:

This has to be a great relief for Casting. I’m sure they were wondering how do you solve a problem like Maria.

I am pretty amped for this, curious if they are going with the same chorography style. Of all the classic musicals I mention to people that get groans, WSS is highest on the list because the fight dancing is seen as laughable.

7. PcChongor says:

Hats off to Spielberg for this. Saw him scouting at Julliard back in October and figured the whole thing would just be a rote redo of something that deserves to be special for a group of people who’re even oft underrepresented in their *own* stories.

8. leahnz says:

she got pipes

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump