Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2

friday estimates 2018-07-21 at 12.32.03 PM copy

15 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2”

1. JS Partisan says:

What happens when women see one movie, and men see the other movie? THIS WEEKEND! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

2. Christian says:

Another good Kore-eda movie that no one’s going to see.

3. Aaron Aradillas says:

Question: Where does one go for news on the entertainment industry? I really don’t want to go to Hollywood Elsewhere. I try to avoid toxic environments. MCN used to be my one-stip shop.

4. Jspartisan says:

Aaron, I usually find stuff on twitter, or via io9. It’s just the easiest way to do it.

5. Normally I doo not learn article on blogs, but I wwish to say that this write-up very pressureed me to check out and do
    it! Your writong taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great article. https://Loop.frontiersin.org/people/510558/overview

6. Shane says:

Has there ever been this many sequels out at once? Just crazy,,,

7. Jspartisan says:

Never forget that weekend, SB. When the third chapters of three movies were on the top three.

8. palmtree says:

Mojo says it’s the first time 8 of the top 10 movies were sequels. Seems plausible given how crazy that stat really is.

9. PcChongor says:

Sad to see SORRY peter out. Really thought it was going to take off, but perhaps nowadays the only way to Trojan Horse interesting original material into a wide release is via horror. The ending was a bit shaky for my tastes, but really enjoyed the flick overall. Wonder what A24 or Blumhouse could’ve done with it.

10. movieman says:

Mojo has “Equalizer” narrowly beating “Mia” this weekend.
    Nobody saw that coming.
    I wonder if those same totals will hold by tomorrow afternoon.
    Denzel Power!

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Bizarre release timing for both MM2 and E2. I can’t fathom why Mamma Mia wasn’t released until AFTER the World Cup is over, thus cleaning up as counterprogramming for soccer widows (not such a big deal in the US, but most definitely a big deal overseas). And Mission is going to destroy Equalizer next week. The Denzel / Fuqua firm always seem to go for an early – Fall slot, so timing this for July seems odd.

12. movieman says:

The “Mia” date makes a certain sense: (it’s almost exactly 10 years from the opening of the original which bowed the same day as “TDK”), but it was definitely a mistake to slot “E2″ a week before “MI.” You’re right, Wally: fall would have made more sense.
    At least STX finally came to their senses and pushed “Mile 22″ back a few weeks to distance itself from Cruise.

13. Warren says:

The World Cup is over–the final between France and Croatia was played last Sunday.

14. GdB says:

I’ve had a hard time reading io9 lately because their Disney/SW coverage reads like they will say anything Disney wants to stay on the screening list.

That shit didn’t happen when CJA and Newitzz ran the ship.

15. palmtree says:

To be fair though, I don’t think anyone anticipated the sixth MI would be setting the world on fire.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump