Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2

friday estimates 2018-07-21 at 12.32.03 PM copy

15 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2”

1. JS Partisan says:

What happens when women see one movie, and men see the other movie? THIS WEEKEND! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

2. Christian says:

Another good Kore-eda movie that no one’s going to see.

3. Aaron Aradillas says:

Question: Where does one go for news on the entertainment industry? I really don’t want to go to Hollywood Elsewhere. I try to avoid toxic environments. MCN used to be my one-stip shop.

4. Jspartisan says:

Aaron, I usually find stuff on twitter, or via io9. It’s just the easiest way to do it.

5. Normally I doo not learn article on blogs, but I wwish to say that this write-up very pressureed me to check out and do
    it! Your writong taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great article. https://Loop.frontiersin.org/people/510558/overview

6. Shane says:

Has there ever been this many sequels out at once? Just crazy,,,

7. Jspartisan says:

Never forget that weekend, SB. When the third chapters of three movies were on the top three.

8. palmtree says:

Mojo says it’s the first time 8 of the top 10 movies were sequels. Seems plausible given how crazy that stat really is.

9. PcChongor says:

Sad to see SORRY peter out. Really thought it was going to take off, but perhaps nowadays the only way to Trojan Horse interesting original material into a wide release is via horror. The ending was a bit shaky for my tastes, but really enjoyed the flick overall. Wonder what A24 or Blumhouse could’ve done with it.

10. movieman says:

Mojo has “Equalizer” narrowly beating “Mia” this weekend.
    Nobody saw that coming.
    I wonder if those same totals will hold by tomorrow afternoon.
    Denzel Power!

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Bizarre release timing for both MM2 and E2. I can’t fathom why Mamma Mia wasn’t released until AFTER the World Cup is over, thus cleaning up as counterprogramming for soccer widows (not such a big deal in the US, but most definitely a big deal overseas). And Mission is going to destroy Equalizer next week. The Denzel / Fuqua firm always seem to go for an early – Fall slot, so timing this for July seems odd.

12. movieman says:

The “Mia” date makes a certain sense: (it’s almost exactly 10 years from the opening of the original which bowed the same day as “TDK”), but it was definitely a mistake to slot “E2″ a week before “MI.” You’re right, Wally: fall would have made more sense.
    At least STX finally came to their senses and pushed “Mile 22″ back a few weeks to distance itself from Cruise.

13. Warren says:

The World Cup is over–the final between France and Croatia was played last Sunday.

14. GdB says:

I’ve had a hard time reading io9 lately because their Disney/SW coverage reads like they will say anything Disney wants to stay on the screening list.

That shit didn’t happen when CJA and Newitzz ran the ship.

15. palmtree says:

To be fair though, I don’t think anyone anticipated the sixth MI would be setting the world on fire.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch