Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2

friday estimates 2018-07-21 at 12.32.03 PM copy

Be Sociable, Share!

15 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Mamma Equalized 2”

1. JS Partisan says:

What happens when women see one movie, and men see the other movie? THIS WEEKEND! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

2. Christian says:

Another good Kore-eda movie that no one’s going to see.

3. Aaron Aradillas says:

Question: Where does one go for news on the entertainment industry? I really don’t want to go to Hollywood Elsewhere. I try to avoid toxic environments. MCN used to be my one-stip shop.

4. Jspartisan says:

Aaron, I usually find stuff on twitter, or via io9. It’s just the easiest way to do it.

5. Normally I doo not learn article on blogs, but I wwish to say that this write-up very pressureed me to check out and do
    it! Your writong taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great article. https://Loop.frontiersin.org/people/510558/overview

6. Shane says:

Has there ever been this many sequels out at once? Just crazy,,,

7. Jspartisan says:

Never forget that weekend, SB. When the third chapters of three movies were on the top three.

8. palmtree says:

Mojo says it’s the first time 8 of the top 10 movies were sequels. Seems plausible given how crazy that stat really is.

9. PcChongor says:

Sad to see SORRY peter out. Really thought it was going to take off, but perhaps nowadays the only way to Trojan Horse interesting original material into a wide release is via horror. The ending was a bit shaky for my tastes, but really enjoyed the flick overall. Wonder what A24 or Blumhouse could’ve done with it.

10. movieman says:

Mojo has “Equalizer” narrowly beating “Mia” this weekend.
    Nobody saw that coming.
    I wonder if those same totals will hold by tomorrow afternoon.
    Denzel Power!

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Bizarre release timing for both MM2 and E2. I can’t fathom why Mamma Mia wasn’t released until AFTER the World Cup is over, thus cleaning up as counterprogramming for soccer widows (not such a big deal in the US, but most definitely a big deal overseas). And Mission is going to destroy Equalizer next week. The Denzel / Fuqua firm always seem to go for an early – Fall slot, so timing this for July seems odd.

12. movieman says:

The “Mia” date makes a certain sense: (it’s almost exactly 10 years from the opening of the original which bowed the same day as “TDK”), but it was definitely a mistake to slot “E2” a week before “MI.” You’re right, Wally: fall would have made more sense.
    At least STX finally came to their senses and pushed “Mile 22” back a few weeks to distance itself from Cruise.

13. Warren says:

The World Cup is over–the final between France and Croatia was played last Sunday.

14. GdB says:

I’ve had a hard time reading io9 lately because their Disney/SW coverage reads like they will say anything Disney wants to stay on the screening list.

That shit didn’t happen when CJA and Newitzz ran the ship.

15. palmtree says:

To be fair though, I don’t think anyone anticipated the sixth MI would be setting the world on fire.

Stella's Boy on: BYO I Yi Yi

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

palmtree on: BYO I Yi Yi

Geoff on: BYO Post-JOKER

Stella's Boy on: BYO I Yi Yi

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

Pete B. on: BYO Post-JOKER

Amblinman on: BYO Post-JOKER

Amblinman on: BYO Post-JOKER

moviemsan on: BYO Post-JOKER

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh