Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock

friday estimates 071618

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock”

1. movieman says:

Wow. Look at that opening day figure for “Eighth Grade.”
    It could have one of the best PSA’s for a limited release so far this year.
    Another feather in A24’s cap.
    Wonder if “EG” has any chance of crossing over to mainstream success.

2. Aaron Aradillas says:

So, is SICARIO 2 going to make less than the original at the domestic box office? I guess they should have tried a little harder to work Emily Blunt into the movie. Also, maybe not every “surprise” hit deserves a sequel.

3. palmtree says:

Hot Blog gets a reprieve! Thanks!

And also thanks for removing the ridiculous per-theater average stat.

Skyscraper’s biggest challenge was that it wasn’t a sequel or part of a franchise. If Bruce Willis was in it, maybe you could make the argument it was part of some Die Hard alternate universe, but here it’s just an original knock-off. That’s too bad. We’re only rewarding more sequels and franchises which we claim we don’t want, but really kinda do.

I can’t wait to see Eighth Grade. Along with Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, and Three Identical Strangers, I haven’t been this excited about movies in a long time.

4. dinovelvet says:

The first Sicario made $46 mil so it looks like this one is going to match it almost exactly

5. Big G says:

It’s been fascinating watching Black Panther’s box office. At the end of the weekend of May 11-13 it was at $696.5 million and it’s taken it two months to make it to $699.9 million. Why won’t Disney just put it back in about 200 first run theaters with their higher ticket prices for one weekend to get it over $700 million and get it over with?

6. BO Sock Puppet says:

Who needs $700m? Black Panther is already like an overachieving savant forever skewing the curve of all the franchises. Few movies going forward will be able to take advantage of the zeitgeist like BP managed in its rarefied moment, and seeking to force lightning into a different bottle will only result in failure. All downhill from here for the MCU, Star Wars, and moviemaking in general on that scale.

7. Glamourboy says:

Ant Man is listed as #3 even though the following 2 movies made more money?

“Yes, yes, yes. Now I am also the producer on Jean-Luc’s films, so I need to raise the money. Yes, there are two projects in preparation with the pretext of virtual reality. We are beginning with two approaches: we can either do or undo VR. Maybe we will undo it more than we do VR, because thinking about VR leads to the opposite of VR. Is there concrete imagination in virtual reality? For me, cinema is concrete imagination because it’s made with the real and uses it. VR, virtual reality, is totally the opposite of that, but it might be interesting to use this and then to destroy it. No, we’ll see, we’ll see. First, it’s just an idea of a beginning. There is a forest to cross, and we are just at the beginning of the forest. The first step is development. As they say in business, first there is development and research. We have to develop somehow an idea for the film; I won’t say a script, but to see what we can do with this system, and what we can undo with this system.”
~ Fabrice Aragno On Godard’s Next Projects

“Why put it in a box? This is the number one problem I have—by the way it’s a fair question, I’m not saying that—with this kind of festival situation is that there’s always this temptation to classify the movie immediately and if you look at it—and I’ve tried to warn my fellow jurors of this—directors and movie critics are the worst people to judge movies! Directors are always thinking, “I could do that.” Critics are always saying, “This part of the movie is like the 1947 version and this part…” And it’s like, “Fuck! Just watch the movie and try and absorb it and not compare it to some other fucking movie and put it in a box!” So I think the answer’s both and maybe neither, I don’t know. That’s for you to see and criticize me for or not.”
~ James Gray