Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock

friday estimates 071618

Be Sociable, Share!

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock”

1. movieman says:

Wow. Look at that opening day figure for “Eighth Grade.”
    It could have one of the best PSA’s for a limited release so far this year.
    Another feather in A24’s cap.
    Wonder if “EG” has any chance of crossing over to mainstream success.

2. Aaron Aradillas says:

So, is SICARIO 2 going to make less than the original at the domestic box office? I guess they should have tried a little harder to work Emily Blunt into the movie. Also, maybe not every “surprise” hit deserves a sequel.

3. palmtree says:

Hot Blog gets a reprieve! Thanks!

And also thanks for removing the ridiculous per-theater average stat.

Skyscraper’s biggest challenge was that it wasn’t a sequel or part of a franchise. If Bruce Willis was in it, maybe you could make the argument it was part of some Die Hard alternate universe, but here it’s just an original knock-off. That’s too bad. We’re only rewarding more sequels and franchises which we claim we don’t want, but really kinda do.

I can’t wait to see Eighth Grade. Along with Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, and Three Identical Strangers, I haven’t been this excited about movies in a long time.

4. dinovelvet says:

The first Sicario made $46 mil so it looks like this one is going to match it almost exactly

5. Big G says:

It’s been fascinating watching Black Panther’s box office. At the end of the weekend of May 11-13 it was at $696.5 million and it’s taken it two months to make it to $699.9 million. Why won’t Disney just put it back in about 200 first run theaters with their higher ticket prices for one weekend to get it over $700 million and get it over with?

6. BO Sock Puppet says:

Who needs $700m? Black Panther is already like an overachieving savant forever skewing the curve of all the franchises. Few movies going forward will be able to take advantage of the zeitgeist like BP managed in its rarefied moment, and seeking to force lightning into a different bottle will only result in failure. All downhill from here for the MCU, Star Wars, and moviemaking in general on that scale.

7. Glamourboy says:

Ant Man is listed as #3 even though the following 2 movies made more money?

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

Geoff on: BYO Post-JOKER

leahnz on: BYOFall

leahnz on: BYO Post-JOKER

Hcat on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYOFall

movieman on: BYOFall

Hcat on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYOFall

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh