Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock

friday estimates 071618

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates: Blob Beats Rock”

1. movieman says:

Wow. Look at that opening day figure for “Eighth Grade.”
    It could have one of the best PSA’s for a limited release so far this year.
    Another feather in A24’s cap.
    Wonder if “EG” has any chance of crossing over to mainstream success.

2. Aaron Aradillas says:

So, is SICARIO 2 going to make less than the original at the domestic box office? I guess they should have tried a little harder to work Emily Blunt into the movie. Also, maybe not every “surprise” hit deserves a sequel.

3. palmtree says:

Hot Blog gets a reprieve! Thanks!

And also thanks for removing the ridiculous per-theater average stat.

Skyscraper’s biggest challenge was that it wasn’t a sequel or part of a franchise. If Bruce Willis was in it, maybe you could make the argument it was part of some Die Hard alternate universe, but here it’s just an original knock-off. That’s too bad. We’re only rewarding more sequels and franchises which we claim we don’t want, but really kinda do.

I can’t wait to see Eighth Grade. Along with Sorry to Bother You, Blindspotting, and Three Identical Strangers, I haven’t been this excited about movies in a long time.

4. dinovelvet says:

The first Sicario made $46 mil so it looks like this one is going to match it almost exactly

5. Big G says:

It’s been fascinating watching Black Panther’s box office. At the end of the weekend of May 11-13 it was at $696.5 million and it’s taken it two months to make it to $699.9 million. Why won’t Disney just put it back in about 200 first run theaters with their higher ticket prices for one weekend to get it over $700 million and get it over with?

6. BO Sock Puppet says:

Who needs $700m? Black Panther is already like an overachieving savant forever skewing the curve of all the franchises. Few movies going forward will be able to take advantage of the zeitgeist like BP managed in its rarefied moment, and seeking to force lightning into a different bottle will only result in failure. All downhill from here for the MCU, Star Wars, and moviemaking in general on that scale.

7. Glamourboy says:

Ant Man is listed as #3 even though the following 2 movies made more money?

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh

“I have made few films in a way. I never made action films. I never made science fiction films. I never made, really, very complicated settings, because I had modest ambitions. I knew they would never trust me to have the budget to do something different, so my mind is more focused on things I know. So they were always mental adventures I wanted to approach and share. Working for cinema with no – not only no money, but also no ambition for money. I was happy and proud [to receive the honorary Oscar] because of that, that [the Academy] could understand what kind of work I have done over 60 years. I stayed faithful to the ideal of sharing emotion, impressions, and mostly because I have so much empathy for other people that I approach people who are not really spoken about. I have 65 years of work in my bag, and when I put the bag down, what comes out? It’s really the desire of finding links and relationships with different kinds of people. I never made a film about the bourgeoisie, about rich people. about nobility. My choices have been to show people that are, in a way, more common and see that each of them has something special and interesting, rare and beautiful. It’s my natural way of looking at people. I didn’t fight my instincts. And maybe that has been appreciated in the famous circle of Hollywood.“

Agnes Varda