Friday Estimates Analyzed by Dino David

Friday Estimates 2018-06-23 at 11.21.43 AM

Never know when it will be the last one…

And not very interesting. Just another weekend of massive success. The 4th $125m+ opening in 8 weeks of a one-week extended summer season. Hasn’t happened before. Best before was Captain America: Civil Wars, Finding Dory, and Suicide Squad over the entire summer. I don’t actually foresee any ore this summer, but I do see 8 or 9 legitimate hits to come.

Here is the idea… wait more than a decade and bring back a beloved franchise,s how some promise, and you have a shot at an absolutely insane opening. The next film will not open as well. But it might gross the same or more.

Then there are franchises with bigger openings to the 2nd film, like The Dark Knight trilogy or The Hunger Games, which saw their second films open to $2 million and $6 million over their $150m+ launches for the first of their series. Wow. Big whoop.

My point is… J-World: Fall opening over $125 million and under $150 million is an epic non-story. Well, except that it’s a terrific gross.

I am also very curious about why some critics seem to have a raptor claw up their ass about this film. It is better than any Jurassic movie other than the first. Yet reading reviews, it seems that some critics were expecting something other than a Jurassic Park movie… like the dinosaurs were going to Wakanda or something. If you love movies and you can’t handle a dinosaurs teaching humans a lesson in humility because scientists and money grubbers do stupid shit, you might need a new job.

Don’t get me wrong. If you don’t like the movie, you don’t like the movie. But I haven’t read a bashing criticism that was much more considered than, “This shit again?” Boring. Lacking perspective. Afraid to pick on the mess that is Ocean’s 8 or Tag?

Hold on! My DirecTV just went blank! Who is reading this?!?!?

Nice hold for Incredibles 2… which I wouldn’t mind seeing again today.

Would You Be My Neighbor? is going RBG-like numbers. Finding that feeling of integrity and nostalgia would seem a good way to postilion any doc about now.

Later, gators…

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates Analyzed by Dino David”

1. Aaron Aradillas says:

Man, I guess Trump, Jr’s call for action against Sony Classics’ BOUNDARIES really worked.

2. Dr Wally Rises says:

I hate to bring up THAT movie again, but I mention it because it’s appropriate here. There is a very distinct parallel between The Last Jedi and Fallen Kingdom. Both follow a beloved franchise reset movie that traded largely on nostalgia. Both franchises were then passed to a director known for edgier indie fare. Both had the stones to NOT do same thing over again but suggest a bold new direction for the series. Both tampered with the existing mythology to some degree.
    And both split the ranks of opinion because of it.

3. Monco says:

But the director of the franchise reset wrote this one. Not the case for TLJ.

4. Jspartisan says:

Wow. Just shitting all over Ocean’s 8 again. Shame.

Oh yeah. Jurassic World was a stupid dinosaur movie, that some how had marketing to get people really excited. This time, the marketing completely failed the movie. Comparing this to Star Wars is missing that one movie was sold a lot better than the current one. Universal lucked into World, and they fell all over trying to sell Fallen Kingdom.

5. palmtree says:

Are we already calling JW: Fallen Kingdom a let down at the box office? I really don’t see it that way. Yeah, it’s lower than JW opened, but JW didn’t have Incredibles 2 to compete with. Also, Fallen Kingdom didn’t go crazy on budget, so overall I’d put Fallen into the win column. DP is right on this one.

6. Bulldog68 says:

Fallen Kingdom opened where everyone thought JW would open. People didn’t expect a $208m opening, including you JS if memory serves. No pent up demand, no world building like Marvel, and while I did expect it to do above $150m, JW went nuts so posting the 2nd largest opening on your 5th instalment isn’t too shabby.

7. Pj says:

I agree that sometimes critics get on strange bandwagons and start reviewing anything other then what’s happening on screen. It’s one of those things where even though this is huge production, it still feels inappropriate to do.

The opening of Jurassic World is solid if unspectacular. I really don’t think it was expected to match the previous one. It wasn’t really something that begged for a sequel,

8. cadavra says:

This business has gone nuts. A picture opens to $150 million and it’s disappointing? Most movies don’t do a tenth of that lifetime!

9. hcat says:

Nobody is claiming this is a disappointment. The thing made 90% of its budget in its first three days domestic, exactly where Incredibles and Avengers landed.

“When books become a thing, they can no longer be fine.

“Literary people get mad at Knausgård the same way they get mad at Jonathan Franzen, a writer who, if I’m being honest, might be fine. I’m rarely honest about Jonathan Franzen. He’s an extremely annoying manI have only read bits and pieces of his novels, and while I’ve stopped reading many novels even though they were pretty good or great, I have always stopped reading Jonathan Franzen’s novels because I thought they were aggressively boring and dumb and smug. But why do I think this? I didn’t read him when he was a new interesting writer who wrote a couple of weird books and then hit it big with ‘The Corrections,’ a moment in which I might have picked him up with curiosity and read with an open mind; I only noticed him once, after David Foster Wallace had died, he became the heir apparent for the Great American Novelist position, once he had had that thing with Oprah and started giving interviews in which he said all manner of dumb shit; I only noticed him well after I had been told he was An Important Writer.

“So I can’t and shouldn’t pretend that I am unmoved by the lazily-satisfied gentle arrogance he projects or when he is given license to project it by the has-the-whole-world-gone-crazy development of him being constantly crowned and re-crowned as Is He The Great American Writer. What I really object to is this, and if there’s anything to his writing beyond it, I can’t see it and can’t be bothered. Others read him and tell me he’s actually a good writer—people whose critical instincts I have learned to respect—so I feel sure that he’s probably a perfectly fine, that his books are fine, and that probably even his stupid goddamned bird essays are probably also fine.

“But it’s too late. He has become a thing; he can’t be fine.”
~ Aaron Bady

“You know how in postproduction you are supposed to color-correct the picture so everything is smooth and even? Jean-Luc wants the opposite. He wants the rupture. Color and then black and white, or different intensities of color. Or how in this film, sometimes you see the ratio of the frame change after the image begins. That happens when he records from his TV onto his old DVCAM analog machine, which is so old we can’t even find parts when it needs to be repaired. The TV takes time to recognize and adjust to the format on the DVD or the Blu-ray. Whether it’s 1:33 or 1:85. And one of the TVs he uses is slower than the other. He wants to keep all that. I could correct it, but he doesn’t want me to. See, here’s an image from War and Peace. He did the overlays of color—red, white, and blue—using an old analog video effects machine. That’s why you have the blur. When I tried to redo it in digital, I couldn’t. The edges were too sharp. And why the image jitters—I don’t know how he did that. Playing with the cable maybe. Handmade. He wants to see that. It’s a gift from his old machine.”
~ Fabrice Aragno