Friday Estimates by Thanos Jr Klady

Friday Estimatres 2018-05-05 at 8.58.08 AM

10 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Thanos Jr Klady”

1. Thorough Henry says:

That percentage drop for Infinity War is sure to get better by the end of the weekend. Breaking 50% seems crazy, but also pretty easy at this point.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Spending $$ to remake stuff like OVERBOARD just makes me shake my head. Who makes these stupid decisions? I love Anna Faris but I will never watch this. The original is dated but it has Kurt Russell and his amazing mullet.

What’s next? A reboot of SUMMER RENTAL starring Jack Black, and Stephen Root as Sully? CAPTAIN RON with Gerard Butler?

3. Hcat says:

I would take Blunt and Krasinski in an Undercover Blues remake. You know, since we’re spitballin’.

Thought Tully would do better, between this Thouroughbreeds and Entebbe they are having a rough year. They keep putting these out pretty wide but with what seems like limited release marketing campaigns

4. Bender says:

FATAL BEAUTY with Kevin Hart and Margot Robbie

BODY OF EVIDENCE with Rhianna and Michael Ealy

5. Ray Pride says:

OVERBOARD is a Pantelion co-venture for the lucrative Spanish-speaking market. Derbez is the star.

6. Heather says:

I have no desire to see overboard either but it looks like its going to make money so there’s the answer.

7. Bulldog68 says:

I don’t want a remake, but I do want a sequel to Big Trouble in Little China, and starring the original cast. Return to Bigger Trouble in Little China. Keep the budget small. Don’t make the same mistake Blade Runner did. I wouldn’t even spend Jumanji dollars on this. Bring it in at $35m like IT and maybe it could make some money. The original was a box office failure but it became a cult classic that I believe has enough of a base to be a mid sized hit without having to be a blockbuster to be a success.

8. Thorough Henry says:

@HCat, you eat your words. Undercover Blues is a perfect piece of cinema and under no circumstances should it ever be remade by anyone.

9. Hcat says:

MARTY!

Henry, I fondly remember Undercover Blues as being a quintessential 80s movie that was unfortunately released in 1993. Certainly no disrespect intended.

10. palmtree says:

Big Trouble part 2 with everyone coming back would be a trip. Too bad Victor Wong isn’t around but I think everyone else is. And some even got bigger like Kim Cattrall.

Speaking of which, are people enjoying Cobra Kai? Seems like an 80s sequel that actually weirdly works.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch