Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Steven Bochco

6 Responses to “RIP Steven Bochco”

1. leahnz says:

let’s be careful out there

2. LBB says:

Perfect, leahnz.

3. Bulldog says:

Hill Street Blues and LA Law was must see TV for me at that time. RIP.

4. Hcat says:

Hill Street Blues was probably the largest leap forward in television history. West Wing and Law and Order to Sopranos was more of an incremental progression compared to the gulf between Dallas and Blues.

5. jspartisan says:

Hc, that’s SNL. Hill Street Blues did take drama to another level, but let’s be honest. Nothing really touched Hill Street for close to a decade. That’s how advanced it was in the drama side of things.

6. Hcat says:

JS, looked it up and you’re right, with the exception of St. Elsewhere, there wasn’t anything close until Twin Peaks, I’ll Fly Away, and Homicide followed in the real late eighties.

Its funny looking back at the string of Emmys that Blues won, competing against shows like Murder She Wrote, Magnum PI and the White Shadow. Bochco was flying in rarefied air.

“Why put it in a box? This is the number one problem I have—by the way it’s a fair question, I’m not saying that—with this kind of festival situation is that there’s always this temptation to classify the movie immediately and if you look at it—and I’ve tried to warn my fellow jurors of this—directors and movie critics are the worst people to judge movies! Directors are always thinking, “I could do that.” Critics are always saying, “This part of the movie is like the 1947 version and this part…” And it’s like, “Fuck! Just watch the movie and try and absorb it and not compare it to some other fucking movie and put it in a box!” So I think the answer’s both and maybe neither, I don’t know. That’s for you to see and criticize me for or not.”
~ James Gray

“I have long defined filmmaking and directing in particular as just a sort of long-term act of letting go,” she said. “It’s honestly just gratifying that people are sort of reapproaching or reassessing the film. I like to just remind everyone that the movie is still the same — it’s the same movie, it’s the movie we always made, and it was the movie we always wanted to make. And maybe it just came several years too early.”
~ Karyn Kusama