Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Steven Bochco

6 Responses to “RIP Steven Bochco”

1. leahnz says:

let’s be careful out there

2. LBB says:

Perfect, leahnz.

3. Bulldog says:

Hill Street Blues and LA Law was must see TV for me at that time. RIP.

4. Hcat says:

Hill Street Blues was probably the largest leap forward in television history. West Wing and Law and Order to Sopranos was more of an incremental progression compared to the gulf between Dallas and Blues.

5. jspartisan says:

Hc, that’s SNL. Hill Street Blues did take drama to another level, but let’s be honest. Nothing really touched Hill Street for close to a decade. That’s how advanced it was in the drama side of things.

6. Hcat says:

JS, looked it up and you’re right, with the exception of St. Elsewhere, there wasn’t anything close until Twin Peaks, I’ll Fly Away, and Homicide followed in the real late eighties.

Its funny looking back at the string of Emmys that Blues won, competing against shows like Murder She Wrote, Magnum PI and the White Shadow. Bochco was flying in rarefied air.

“That’s the joke of Prune, that we just pretend to be a restaurant. But we’re actually an institute for living. We hide behind the fried eggs, and we hide behind the marrow bones, but really what we’re doing here is trying to change the whole goddamn world, one lamb chop at a time. It’s slow going, but I think we’re getting there.”
~ Gabrielle Hamilton

“I’m into pleasure rebellion,” she says, lighting a cigarette. “I’ve shared all my misery and tragedy but in my personal life I’m a cheerleader, an optimist. That aspect of myself is not shared. Once you are free from trauma, you are going to luxuriate in pleasure and happiness – personal pleasure. A divine gluttony, I should say.”
Lydia Lunch