Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Milos Forman

Milos Forman © 2018 Ray Pride

The President Of Iceland pokes Milos Forman, White House Of Iceland, 2009 Reykjavík Film Festival. (Photo © 2018 Ray Pride.)

6 Responses to “RIP Milos Forman”

1. palmtree says:

Amadeus is easily one of my top 10 favorite films. I can watch it anytime. Thank you, Milos.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

RIP. The People Vs. Larry Flynt is so underrated. It’s an amazing balancing act

3. spassky says:

Firemen’s Ball and Taking Off… man was a legend and lived a very good life.

4. movieman says:

Personal Forman (H’wood) faves are “Hair” and “Ragtime,” both egregiously underrated at the time.
    And “Loves of a Blonde” ranks w/ Truffaut’s “Stolen Kisses” and Rohmer’s “Boyfriends and Girlfriends” as one of the all-time great (subtitled) romantic comedies.

5. Pete B. says:

RIP Art Bell too. Used to catch Coast to Coast AM during 3rd shifts.

6. Pete B. says:

And now RIP R. Lee Ermey as well. “What is your major malfunction?” is a regular quote in my household thanks to Full Metal Jacket.

Triple Option on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Bill Mechanic on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

dberg on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Mostly Lurking on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

palmtree on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Gonzalo Jimenez on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

David Bordwell on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Jspartisan on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Glamourboy on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Daniel on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch

To me, Hunter S. Thompson was a hero. His early books were great, but in many ways, his life and career post–Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is a cautionary tale for authors. People expected him to be high and drunk all the time and play that persona, and he stuck with that to the end, and I don’t think it was good for him. I always sort of feel mixed emotions when I hear that people went and hung out with Hunter and how great it was to get high with Hunter. The fact is the guy was having difficulty doing any sustained writing at all for years probably because so many quote, unquote, “friends” wanted to get high with him … There was a badly disappointed romantic there. I mean, that great line, “This is where the wave broke, the tide rolled back … ” This was a guy that was hurt and disappointed and very bitter about things, and it made his writing beautiful, and also with that came a lot of pain.
~ Anthony Bourdain