Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Milos Forman

Milos Forman © 2018 Ray Pride

The President Of Iceland pokes Milos Forman, White House Of Iceland, 2009 Reykjavík Film Festival. (Photo © 2018 Ray Pride.)

6 Responses to “RIP Milos Forman”

1. palmtree says:

Amadeus is easily one of my top 10 favorite films. I can watch it anytime. Thank you, Milos.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

RIP. The People Vs. Larry Flynt is so underrated. It’s an amazing balancing act

3. spassky says:

Firemen’s Ball and Taking Off… man was a legend and lived a very good life.

4. movieman says:

Personal Forman (H’wood) faves are “Hair” and “Ragtime,” both egregiously underrated at the time.
    And “Loves of a Blonde” ranks w/ Truffaut’s “Stolen Kisses” and Rohmer’s “Boyfriends and Girlfriends” as one of the all-time great (subtitled) romantic comedies.

5. Pete B. says:

RIP Art Bell too. Used to catch Coast to Coast AM during 3rd shifts.

6. Pete B. says:

And now RIP R. Lee Ermey as well. “What is your major malfunction?” is a regular quote in my household thanks to Full Metal Jacket.

movieman on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

Hcat on: Wherefore The Academy?

BO Sock Puppet on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

YancySkancy on: Wherefore The Academy?

YancySkancy on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

movieman on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

Hcat on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

Stella's Boy on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

movieman on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

movieman on: BYO Fresh Clean Linens

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh

“I have made few films in a way. I never made action films. I never made science fiction films. I never made, really, very complicated settings, because I had modest ambitions. I knew they would never trust me to have the budget to do something different, so my mind is more focused on things I know. So they were always mental adventures I wanted to approach and share. Working for cinema with no – not only no money, but also no ambition for money. I was happy and proud [to receive the honorary Oscar] because of that, that [the Academy] could understand what kind of work I have done over 60 years. I stayed faithful to the ideal of sharing emotion, impressions, and mostly because I have so much empathy for other people that I approach people who are not really spoken about. I have 65 years of work in my bag, and when I put the bag down, what comes out? It’s really the desire of finding links and relationships with different kinds of people. I never made a film about the bourgeoisie, about rich people. about nobility. My choices have been to show people that are, in a way, more common and see that each of them has something special and interesting, rare and beautiful. It’s my natural way of looking at people. I didn’t fight my instincts. And maybe that has been appreciated in the famous circle of Hollywood.“

Agnes Varda