Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Milos Forman

Milos Forman © 2018 Ray Pride

The President Of Iceland pokes Milos Forman, White House Of Iceland, 2009 Reykjavík Film Festival. (Photo © 2018 Ray Pride.)

6 Responses to “RIP Milos Forman”

1. palmtree says:

Amadeus is easily one of my top 10 favorite films. I can watch it anytime. Thank you, Milos.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

RIP. The People Vs. Larry Flynt is so underrated. It’s an amazing balancing act

3. spassky says:

Firemen’s Ball and Taking Off… man was a legend and lived a very good life.

4. movieman says:

Personal Forman (H’wood) faves are “Hair” and “Ragtime,” both egregiously underrated at the time.
    And “Loves of a Blonde” ranks w/ Truffaut’s “Stolen Kisses” and Rohmer’s “Boyfriends and Girlfriends” as one of the all-time great (subtitled) romantic comedies.

5. Pete B. says:

RIP Art Bell too. Used to catch Coast to Coast AM during 3rd shifts.

6. Pete B. says:

And now RIP R. Lee Ermey as well. “What is your major malfunction?” is a regular quote in my household thanks to Full Metal Jacket.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch