Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

RIP Milos Forman

Milos Forman © 2018 Ray Pride

The President Of Iceland pokes Milos Forman, White House Of Iceland, 2009 Reykjavík Film Festival. (Photo © 2018 Ray Pride.)

6 Responses to “RIP Milos Forman”

1. palmtree says:

Amadeus is easily one of my top 10 favorite films. I can watch it anytime. Thank you, Milos.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

RIP. The People Vs. Larry Flynt is so underrated. It’s an amazing balancing act

3. spassky says:

Firemen’s Ball and Taking Off… man was a legend and lived a very good life.

4. movieman says:

Personal Forman (H’wood) faves are “Hair” and “Ragtime,” both egregiously underrated at the time.
    And “Loves of a Blonde” ranks w/ Truffaut’s “Stolen Kisses” and Rohmer’s “Boyfriends and Girlfriends” as one of the all-time great (subtitled) romantic comedies.

5. Pete B. says:

RIP Art Bell too. Used to catch Coast to Coast AM during 3rd shifts.

6. Pete B. says:

And now RIP R. Lee Ermey as well. “What is your major malfunction?” is a regular quote in my household thanks to Full Metal Jacket.

“Yes, yes, yes. Now I am also the producer on Jean-Luc’s films, so I need to raise the money. Yes, there are two projects in preparation with the pretext of virtual reality. We are beginning with two approaches: we can either do or undo VR. Maybe we will undo it more than we do VR, because thinking about VR leads to the opposite of VR. Is there concrete imagination in virtual reality? For me, cinema is concrete imagination because it’s made with the real and uses it. VR, virtual reality, is totally the opposite of that, but it might be interesting to use this and then to destroy it. No, we’ll see, we’ll see. First, it’s just an idea of a beginning. There is a forest to cross, and we are just at the beginning of the forest. The first step is development. As they say in business, first there is development and research. We have to develop somehow an idea for the film; I won’t say a script, but to see what we can do with this system, and what we can undo with this system.”
~ Fabrice Aragno On Godard’s Next Projects

“Why put it in a box? This is the number one problem I have—by the way it’s a fair question, I’m not saying that—with this kind of festival situation is that there’s always this temptation to classify the movie immediately and if you look at it—and I’ve tried to warn my fellow jurors of this—directors and movie critics are the worst people to judge movies! Directors are always thinking, “I could do that.” Critics are always saying, “This part of the movie is like the 1947 version and this part…” And it’s like, “Fuck! Just watch the movie and try and absorb it and not compare it to some other fucking movie and put it in a box!” So I think the answer’s both and maybe neither, I don’t know. That’s for you to see and criticize me for or not.”
~ James Gray