Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady

Friday Estimatest 2018-04-14 at 1.12.44 PM

12 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady”

1. Christian says:

That per-screen for KRYSTAL? Ooof.

Ugly out there for a lot of arthouse titles. I wonder if I’ll even get a chance to see “Borg vs. McEnroe” in D.C.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Seeing YOU WERE NEVER REALLY THERE in Evanston tonight. ISLE OF DOGS closer to home tomorrow. Expecting excellence at both viewings.

3. Ray Pride says:

“I love dogs.”

4. Glamourboy says:

Get some rest prior and bring a cup of coffee to Isle of Dogs….

5. Hcat says:

That’s more of a Rumpus than a Rampage. Maaaybe a Donnybrook.

Wouldn’t Truth or Dare be shooting for the same audience as Blockers? Not sure why the would push them back to back like that.

Fantastic hold for Place. That should overtake RPO by next weekend.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

If I enjoy ISLE half as much as I do MR. FOX then it’ll be a win. We’ll see. I’m an optimist.

7. leahnz says:

so many box office threads, maybe just one for talking about movies? or not

8. Sideshow Bill says:

Good lord I hope we don’t have to wait 7 years for another Lynne Ramsay film. Holy shit.

Also just realized I called it YWNR THERE above rather than HERE. Unforgivable stupidity

9. palmtree says:

So many box office threads, and all about the same one day at the box office too. Was this supposed to be a weekend estimates post?

10. Ray Pride says:

Deleting the redundant thread would remove too many comments…

11. leahnz says:

i think my comment above was clear as mud, i meant maybe we could get an additional byob/movie thread to talk spoiler-y stuff about the current flicks such as YWNYH, not a plea to remove a thread, my bad

what fascinates me about YWNYH (which i’d like to see again to hash out a couple things i was unclear on, but i haven’t stopped thinking about it for weeks now) is that the basic plot/premise — “deeply troubled veteran and abuse survivor turned vigilante gets drawn into a case that’s bigger than it seems, with deadly consequences” — is fairly conventional on its face, and yet L ramsay’s conceptualisation and execution of the subject matter is so discordant and disturbing with brief moments of surreal beauty and delicacy and emotional catharsis in such contrast to the brutality, so unique; i saw it called an ‘action’ movie but i’m not sure it is, more a ‘motion’ movie as we follow joe along the streets and down hallways and in rooms and in his mind, past and present, sometimes mundane, sometimes shocking… and the end, ugh, i’m so conflicted how i feel about it.

(interesting to compare the similar subject matter in the hands of the respective directors of the new ‘death wish’ do-over and ‘YWNRH’, in cinemas – barely in the case of YWNRH – in the same time period: DW, with a fairly decent budget of 30mil, puerile, mediocre dreck by a director of the same ilk; and YWNRH, no doubt made on a shoe string, a wing and a prayer (i couldn’t find the budget on a cursory search but i imagine it’s tiny), a unique and disturbing work of art by an artist of cinema. and yet nimrods keep throwing $$$ at the former while the latter scrapes up funding to do things her way, the system’s fucked)

12. leahnz says:

no idea why i wrote it as YWNYH instead of YWNRH in those first paragraphs, add me to Sideshow’s ‘unforgivable stupidity’ rehab group i guess

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch

To me, Hunter S. Thompson was a hero. His early books were great, but in many ways, his life and career post–Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is a cautionary tale for authors. People expected him to be high and drunk all the time and play that persona, and he stuck with that to the end, and I don’t think it was good for him. I always sort of feel mixed emotions when I hear that people went and hung out with Hunter and how great it was to get high with Hunter. The fact is the guy was having difficulty doing any sustained writing at all for years probably because so many quote, unquote, “friends” wanted to get high with him … There was a badly disappointed romantic there. I mean, that great line, “This is where the wave broke, the tide rolled back … ” This was a guy that was hurt and disappointed and very bitter about things, and it made his writing beautiful, and also with that came a lot of pain.
~ Anthony Bourdain