Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady

Friday Estimatest 2018-04-14 at 1.12.44 PM

12 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady”

1. Christian says:

That per-screen for KRYSTAL? Ooof.

Ugly out there for a lot of arthouse titles. I wonder if I’ll even get a chance to see “Borg vs. McEnroe” in D.C.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Seeing YOU WERE NEVER REALLY THERE in Evanston tonight. ISLE OF DOGS closer to home tomorrow. Expecting excellence at both viewings.

3. Ray Pride says:

“I love dogs.”

4. Glamourboy says:

Get some rest prior and bring a cup of coffee to Isle of Dogs….

5. Hcat says:

That’s more of a Rumpus than a Rampage. Maaaybe a Donnybrook.

Wouldn’t Truth or Dare be shooting for the same audience as Blockers? Not sure why the would push them back to back like that.

Fantastic hold for Place. That should overtake RPO by next weekend.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

If I enjoy ISLE half as much as I do MR. FOX then it’ll be a win. We’ll see. I’m an optimist.

7. leahnz says:

so many box office threads, maybe just one for talking about movies? or not

8. Sideshow Bill says:

Good lord I hope we don’t have to wait 7 years for another Lynne Ramsay film. Holy shit.

Also just realized I called it YWNR THERE above rather than HERE. Unforgivable stupidity

9. palmtree says:

So many box office threads, and all about the same one day at the box office too. Was this supposed to be a weekend estimates post?

10. Ray Pride says:

Deleting the redundant thread would remove too many comments…

11. leahnz says:

i think my comment above was clear as mud, i meant maybe we could get an additional byob/movie thread to talk spoiler-y stuff about the current flicks such as YWNYH, not a plea to remove a thread, my bad

what fascinates me about YWNYH (which i’d like to see again to hash out a couple things i was unclear on, but i haven’t stopped thinking about it for weeks now) is that the basic plot/premise — “deeply troubled veteran and abuse survivor turned vigilante gets drawn into a case that’s bigger than it seems, with deadly consequences” — is fairly conventional on its face, and yet L ramsay’s conceptualisation and execution of the subject matter is so discordant and disturbing with brief moments of surreal beauty and delicacy and emotional catharsis in such contrast to the brutality, so unique; i saw it called an ‘action’ movie but i’m not sure it is, more a ‘motion’ movie as we follow joe along the streets and down hallways and in rooms and in his mind, past and present, sometimes mundane, sometimes shocking… and the end, ugh, i’m so conflicted how i feel about it.

(interesting to compare the similar subject matter in the hands of the respective directors of the new ‘death wish’ do-over and ‘YWNRH’, in cinemas – barely in the case of YWNRH – in the same time period: DW, with a fairly decent budget of 30mil, puerile, mediocre dreck by a director of the same ilk; and YWNRH, no doubt made on a shoe string, a wing and a prayer (i couldn’t find the budget on a cursory search but i imagine it’s tiny), a unique and disturbing work of art by an artist of cinema. and yet nimrods keep throwing $$$ at the former while the latter scrapes up funding to do things her way, the system’s fucked)

12. leahnz says:

no idea why i wrote it as YWNYH instead of YWNRH in those first paragraphs, add me to Sideshow’s ‘unforgivable stupidity’ rehab group i guess

“If there are theories about me, I’d rather not know. Astrophysics – now that’s fascinating. String theory, worm holes, the expanding universe, the Big Bang versus the Big Bounce – those are the kind of theories that make you feel like living and understanding the mystery of the world. Film theory is just a pain in the ass.”
~ Claire Denis

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish