Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady

Friday Estimatest 2018-04-14 at 1.12.44 PM

12 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Giant White Monkey Klady”

1. Christian says:

That per-screen for KRYSTAL? Ooof.

Ugly out there for a lot of arthouse titles. I wonder if I’ll even get a chance to see “Borg vs. McEnroe” in D.C.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Seeing YOU WERE NEVER REALLY THERE in Evanston tonight. ISLE OF DOGS closer to home tomorrow. Expecting excellence at both viewings.

3. Ray Pride says:

“I love dogs.”

4. Glamourboy says:

Get some rest prior and bring a cup of coffee to Isle of Dogs….

5. Hcat says:

That’s more of a Rumpus than a Rampage. Maaaybe a Donnybrook.

Wouldn’t Truth or Dare be shooting for the same audience as Blockers? Not sure why the would push them back to back like that.

Fantastic hold for Place. That should overtake RPO by next weekend.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

If I enjoy ISLE half as much as I do MR. FOX then it’ll be a win. We’ll see. I’m an optimist.

7. leahnz says:

so many box office threads, maybe just one for talking about movies? or not

8. Sideshow Bill says:

Good lord I hope we don’t have to wait 7 years for another Lynne Ramsay film. Holy shit.

Also just realized I called it YWNR THERE above rather than HERE. Unforgivable stupidity

9. palmtree says:

So many box office threads, and all about the same one day at the box office too. Was this supposed to be a weekend estimates post?

10. Ray Pride says:

Deleting the redundant thread would remove too many comments…

11. leahnz says:

i think my comment above was clear as mud, i meant maybe we could get an additional byob/movie thread to talk spoiler-y stuff about the current flicks such as YWNYH, not a plea to remove a thread, my bad

what fascinates me about YWNYH (which i’d like to see again to hash out a couple things i was unclear on, but i haven’t stopped thinking about it for weeks now) is that the basic plot/premise — “deeply troubled veteran and abuse survivor turned vigilante gets drawn into a case that’s bigger than it seems, with deadly consequences” — is fairly conventional on its face, and yet L ramsay’s conceptualisation and execution of the subject matter is so discordant and disturbing with brief moments of surreal beauty and delicacy and emotional catharsis in such contrast to the brutality, so unique; i saw it called an ‘action’ movie but i’m not sure it is, more a ‘motion’ movie as we follow joe along the streets and down hallways and in rooms and in his mind, past and present, sometimes mundane, sometimes shocking… and the end, ugh, i’m so conflicted how i feel about it.

(interesting to compare the similar subject matter in the hands of the respective directors of the new ‘death wish’ do-over and ‘YWNRH’, in cinemas – barely in the case of YWNRH – in the same time period: DW, with a fairly decent budget of 30mil, puerile, mediocre dreck by a director of the same ilk; and YWNRH, no doubt made on a shoe string, a wing and a prayer (i couldn’t find the budget on a cursory search but i imagine it’s tiny), a unique and disturbing work of art by an artist of cinema. and yet nimrods keep throwing $$$ at the former while the latter scrapes up funding to do things her way, the system’s fucked)

12. leahnz says:

no idea why i wrote it as YWNYH instead of YWNRH in those first paragraphs, add me to Sideshow’s ‘unforgivable stupidity’ rehab group i guess

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier