BYOB: Globes

byoboscarweek650

15 Responses to “BYOB: Globes”

1. Hcat says:

Sad to see the Florida Project not get a nom in one of the best picture categories after all the love critics associations have been giving it. It seems to have played out in theaters, a Globes nom might have boosted it a bit and kept the admissions up until the Oscar nominations but I don’t see how they are holding on until then.

2. YancySkancy says:

The Big Sick shut out. No Gerwig or Peele for Director. No Ivory for script. I guess those are the biggies.

Has the HFPA actually seen the final cut of All the Money in the World? Does it even exist yet?

3. Triple Option says:

YancySkancy wrote: No Ivory for script.”
    What script are you referring to?

* * * * *

I saw for the first time, as an adult, cover to cover, w/out commercial interruption, “The Searchers” over the weekend. Not getting how this is supposedly the greatest western of all time??

4. Hcat says:

TO,

Totally with you on Searchers, a decent to strong western but I would not put it anywhere near the top of the list. For me, Wayne’s masterpiece was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with Red River, Stagecoach and even True Grit and Horse Soldiers coming in above Searchers.

And I believe James Ivory is credited with Call Me By Your Name.

5. MarkVH says:

Weirdly, I consider The Searchers to be not just the greatest Western of all-time, but the greatest American movie. So, y’know, subjectivity, I guess.

6. leahnz says:

Treason’s Greetings & Happy Coup Year!

7. Kat. says:

The Searchers is touted more as a self-aware reflection on Ford/Wayne’s previous collaborations.

8. YancySkancy says:

“The greatest Western of all time” is not a thing that exists outside of one’s own head. The Searchers, a great film IMO, might win a poll of that title, but you don’t need a majority to win a poll — just more votes than any other film. For example, some people get bent out of shape about Citizen Kane topping the Sight and Sound poll for so many years, but most of those years it only had to appear on fewer than 50 voter lists to claim that spot. In the last poll, when Vertigo passed it up, over 800 critics participated. Vertigo got 191 mentions to Kane’s 157. We can’t even know if those who voted would have put either title at the top of their lists, because ranking doesn’t figure into the vote tallying. So take these things with a big grain of salt.

9. Hcat says:

Agreed, ranking things is always subjective but I think TO simply meant that he saw a film that is very highly regarded and couldn’t see what differentiated it from other movies in the genre (at least I know that is how I feel about it). He wasn’t talking about it being too high on the list but rather whether it should been on the list at all. We have all been on both sides of this argument, you mentioned Vertigo and it has never done much for me but I love the passion when people defend it, and there have been plenty of times I have gone to bat for How Green is My Valley when others have called it overrated.

I am just thankful there is a place where I can go and people have actually SEEN The Searchers or Vertigo. You know the looks I get at work when I recommend The Best Years of Our Lives to people?

10. Triple Option says:

Yes, Hcat, that’s it. There are plenty of films that didn’t really do much for me or I enjoyed but didn’t have a religious experience watching but then could see why others would hold them in rare esteem. If Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, High Noon, Once Upon a Time in the West, Shane or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly were to show up being a list topper, it’s not so much that because I enjoyed them that I wouldn’t bat an eye over who’s first, it’s that I could see why a case could be made for whatever one was placed #1.

But it’s not just a single list from AFI or Entertainment Weekly that has Searchers first, it is, as MarkVH stated upthread, regarded as one of the preeminent works of all cinema of all-time. I knew of its stature for decades, even before I developed more than a passing interest in film. Was it better because it was first? Do the characters embody a prevailing spirit or pov of Americana? Is there some emotion connection to loss that resonates w/viewers? Is it the satisfaction of perseverance played out? I was left scratching my head over it. I would love for anyone to explain what makes The Searchers really stand out.

11. Glamourboy says:

I am hoping to hear JS’s review of The Searchers. Hopefully he has never seen it so he can give an accurate review. It’s inference. It’s a thing, ya know.

12. Hcat says:

I’ve always attributed my attitude toward Searchers to the fact that I knew the ending so that cut the tension of both the search and what might have been a nail biter of an ending. i would imagine it would be sort of the same with planet of the apes and psycho, even sixth sense if you want a modern one. But then again that’s the beauty of Casablanca, everyone knows the ending but it doesn’t matter because getting there is perfection.

13. Hcat says:

And the deal is finalized. The Dodgers have left Brooklyn.

14. Hcat says:

Thanks Yancy, That HR article is exactly what I was talking about regarding the passionate defense of favorites. Glad to see he mentioned the frontier comedy aspect which sort of comes out of nowhere and is a little jarring in its tone shift. I always found it odd that they seemed to slip ten minutes of McKlintock! into what was a serious epic. Its as poor of a fit as the Innkeeper in Les Miserables. I am more accepting of the folk music interludes that would start appearing in westerns a decade later than having baggy pants periphery characters getting an arrow in the butt for a cheap laugh in what is supposed to be a story about obsession.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch