Ray Pride

By Ray Pride

Rian Johnson Gets His Own Trilogy

Good, right?

21 Responses to “Rian Johnson Gets His Own Trilogy”

1. Night Owl says:

Intriguing. A “new” galaxy. And as I thought, it is with all new characters. Makes sense as why would Johnson want to be stuck with characters he didn’t create for three movies. Hopefully he has a plan they actually let him execute. Although I assume that Rey and the rest could pop up in a stand alone or another trilogy in 10-20 years. Gutsier than I thought Lucasfilm.

Still not clear on the standalones? That Kenobi movie seems barely at the development stage, and who knows if Daldry sticks it out. Maybe they’re waiting to see if Solo was a misstep? Rogue One set the box office bar pretty high for standalones. We will see.

2. palmtree says:

So good.

3. JS Partisan says:

This is garbage. It’s absolute fucking garbage, and I am just finished with Star Wars after 2019. Why? What’s the point of the last films? They literally, are going to spend three films building up these new and interesting characters, then throw them away for OLD REPUBLIC GARBAGE! That’s what it’s going to be, and fuck that noise.

Now, the person who replaces Kennedy at LFL, may have plans for 10-12, but LFL have shown zero fucking ability outside of the main films, Rebels, and Doctor fucking Alphra. It’s just… Star Wars is a struggle, and they seemingly did not make the sequels most people wanted, and have decided, “FUCK IT! Let’s piss off most Star Wars fans, who hate the Old Republic, and MAKE THREE FILMS ABOUT IT! WOOO!”

It’s just garbage, and I hope it blows up in their faces. Star Wars is Rey, Finn, and Poe now. I don’t need to spend three movies, with pointless fucking Old Republic characters, because guess what? I ALREADY HAVE A NEW BUNCH OF CHARACTERS, THAT ACTUALLY SHOOK SKYWALKER’S HAND!

4. Hcat says:

C’mon Disney knows what it’s doing, theyre the behometh!!! No other studio can manage these franchises as masterfully. I am sure there are Millions of people anxiously awaiting new chapters even if YOU do not care about it.

5. spassky says:

meeting new characters that are well written is always a joy in a movie. can’t wait for this.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

JS, I love ya buddy but get a grip. Rey, et al will thrive in the EU. New characters, worlds, drama, storylines are what will keep things fresh. Relax and let it play out.

7. GdB says:

How do you know it’s going to be based on Old Republic? Got a link to the source?

8. JS Partisan says:

Spassky, I JUST DID THAT… TWO YEARS AGO! More on this in a second.

Hcat, that’s Marvel Studios not LFL. They are owned by Disney, but guess what? They are different entities, but Bob Iger loves fucking up Star Wars, and this lets him do more different and strange Star Wars… that so many people were clamoring for… sure they weren’t. HERE’S WHY!

What really chafes my ass about all of this, is that Arndt crafted, from George’s notes, a film about the OT characters and their kids, dealing with shit. This draft/finished script was thrown away, so JJ and Kasdan could go around, and create the NEXT GENERATION OF STAR WARS CHARACTERS. Characters, that have become fucking beloved in a very short period of time. Today, basically, LFL announced they were bored of these characters, and decided to move on. THAT’S SO FUCKING DUMB! Why is it dumb?

JJ and Kasdan, went out of their way to create a new generation, focus VII on them, and do it without letting all the OT heroes be together on screen again. This cathartic moment, never happens, because Maz Kanata.

We never got old Luke, old Han, and old Leia on screen together. We never got old Luke and Leia together on screen. All of this was done, in service of getting Rey, Finn, Poe, Phasma, Rose, DJ, Snoke, and Kylo over. Which leaves me wondering, if this is where the fuck they were going, then WHY DIDN’T THEY JUST STICK WITH FUCKING GEORGE’S TREATMENT? I know the answer is ego, but all of this is just so short sighted. It’s all desperation.

They are giving three films, to one guy, because they trust him over hiring “risky” directors. They are also, basically, starting Star Wars over, and guess what? That never goes the way that people want it to go. Also, Rey is Star Wars now, and it’s fucking insulting that they want to take that away from girls all over the world. It shouldn’t be that much of a struggle, but it is. Star Wars, for fans like my brother, are a fucking struggle, and they don’t want to endure it. It just feels off, but that’s what happens when the Chairman of Disney wants to show the world, “IM MORE STAR WARS THAN LUCAS!”

9. MarkVH says:

Love this news. Ever since Disney got a hold of Star Wars I’ve been waiting for them to start telling new stories instead of rehashing the same old Skywalker drama. Exciting that it seems to be finally happening. Honestly more excited for this than for the 7-9 trilogy, since we know that’ll likely end in mediocrity (with Abrams writing/directing). Bring on new worlds, I say.

10. PTA Fluffer says:

Gotta have somewhere to go after the Mary Sue trilogy is finished. $4billion was quite an initial investment on this longterm corporate project.

11. JS Partisan says:

The Mary Sue trilogy? CUE ENZO! “We got a coupla haters? Coupla haters?” Yeah, 7-9 are Star Wars. This other shit, is going to lead to all sorts of weird shit, because it’s being sold as Star Wars.

Oh yeah… if you use Mary Sue, you are a sexist pig. Do you know what world you livin’ in? It’s not the world, where Mary Sue is acceptable but please, continue to hate on the one character that continues to make Star Wars special… how white male of you.

12. palmtree says:

I’ve thought of Rian Johnson as a risky director, kinda like a younger Chris Nolan. I’m already imagining his trilogy being akin to the Dark Knight trilogy. The fact that Kennedy likes him is proof enough for me.

13. Dr Wally Rises says:

There’s only five years difference in age between Johnson and Nolan actually.

14. PTA Fluffer says:

JS, I’ve seen focus group data that indicates the talking rabbit-penguin replacing Harrison Ford will end up being the breakout character from the current trilogy, not Rey. I wish the news were better for Ridley and her team. Alas.

15. palmtree says:

Actually it’s more like 3 years. Just looked it up. Younger in the sense of his career span, not necessarily in terms of years, I suppose.

16. JS Partisan says:

Fluffer… yeah… no.

17. spassky says:

While, honestly, I’m not really that interested in this shit this time of year (where the fuck were you in Summer, Star Wars?), I’ll give Last Jedi a go and see how I feel about this. There’s a lot of assumptions made here — how do we know they won’t continue the individual characters of the latest trilogy or that they won’t be an integral part of the new one?

Either way, in the end, the team knows what’s up in terms of their own expectations and others’. Toss the last bit of meat on the bone to Abrams and let Rian have at it. I do not understand how someone couldn’t at least be a little excited by the prospect of a filmmaker who actually deserve this to do it.

More characters. More stories. What’s not to love?

18. JS Partisan says:

Spassky, you are not a Star Wars fan, because if you were… this would be irksome. They announced, that this trilogy has nothing to do with the Skywalker Saga, and it’s all new shit taking place… in the Old Republic. Sure, Rian Johnson will probably make something interesting, but it’s something getting in the way of the story that needs to be told. The story, that the old EU told, and that’s the building of the re-building of the republic, and the new jedi order. Instead, you know, six years of dicking around in the Old Republic… whoopidy doo.

Also, again, if this were the plan all along; to have a whole new trilogy, after episode IX. They could have, I don’t know, given people what they wanted, and that’s having Luke, Leia, and Han on screen again. This will always be something, that annoys a lot of fans, because we were denied it for new characters, and those new characters are going to be backburned for the stupid Old Republic. All the way around, it’s LFL not living up to their fucking name.

19. GdB says:

Again, please show me where it’s been established that he’s doing the Old Republic. I haven’t seen any source to this. Do you have a link that establishes this? Or is this conjecture on your part?

20. Doug R says:

Jar Jar Abrams couldn’t direct his way out of a wet paper bag. Don’t know what Disney is doing here, recycling story beats when they could be going in different directions. Then again, Lucas was reworking old storylines himself.

21. spassky says:

Ugh, okay. Well, I’m gonna continue to watch important films that aren’t “Star Wars”… in addition to SW films. Because that’s what FILM lovers do, you bloviating sarlacc pit. (I’m kind of joking–i like this banter, and your opinion’s kinda fun).

i would like a KOTOR movie, whatever. I would like “Solo” to be Rio Bravo. But in the end, this is just a way to tell more stories. Look at them like movies. Not merely nostalgic masturbation fantasies.

“Roger Ebert claimed that the re-editing of The Brown Bunny after Cannes allowed him a difference of opinion so vast that he first called it the worst film in history and eventually gave it a thumbs up. This is both far fetched and an outright lie. The truth is, unlike the many claims that the unfinished film that showed at Cannes was 24 minutes shorter than the finished film, it was only 8 minutes shorter. The running time I filled out on the Cannes submission form was arbitrary. The running time I chose was just a number I liked. I had no idea where in the process I would actually be when I needed to stop cutting to meet the screening deadline. So whatever running time was printed in the program, I promise you, was not the actual running time. And the cuts I made to finish the film after Cannes were not many. I shortened the opening race scene once I was able to do so digitally. After rewatching the last 4 minutes of the film over and over again, somewhere within those 4 minutes, I froze the picture and just ended the film there, cutting out everything after that point, which was about 3 minutes. Originally in the salt flats scene, the motorcycle returned from the white. I removed the return portion of that shot, which seemed too literal. And I cut a scene of me putting on a sweater. That’s pretty much it. Plus the usual frame here, frame there, final tweaks. If you didn’t like the unfinished film at Cannes, you didn’t like the finished film, and vice versa. Roger Ebert made up his story and his premise because after calling my film literally the worst film ever made, he eventually realized it was not in his best interest to be stuck with that mantra. Stuck with a brutal, dismissive review of a film that other, more serious critics eventually felt differently about. He also took attention away from what he actually did at the press screening. It is outrageous that a single critic disrupted a press screening for a film chosen in main competition at such a high profile festival and even more outrageous that Ebert was ever allowed into another screening at Cannes. His ranting, moaning and eventual loud singing happened within the first 20 minutes, completely disrupting and manipulating the press screening of my film. Afterwards, at the first public screening, booing, laughing and hissing started during the open credits, even before the first scene of the film. The public, who had heard and read rumors about the Ebert incident and about me personally, heckled from frame one and never stopped. To make things weirder, I got a record-setting standing ovation from the supporters of the film who were trying to show up the distractors who had been disrupting the film. It was not the cut nor the film itself that drew blood. It was something suspicious about me. Something offensive to certain ideologues.”
~ Vincent Gallo

“I think [technology has[ its made my life faster, it’s made the ability to succeed easier. But has that made my life better? Is it better now than it was in the eighties or seventies? I don’t think we are happier. Maybe because I’m 55, I really am asking these questions… I really want to do meaningful things! This is also the time that I really want to focus on directing. I think that I will act less and less. I’ve been doing it for 52 years. It’s a long time to do one thing and I feel like there are a lot of stories that I got out of my system that I don’t need to tell anymore. I don’t need to ever do The Accused again! That is never going to happen again! You hit these milestones as an actor, and then you say, ‘Now what? Now what do I have to say?'”
~ Jodie Foster