Friday Estimates

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.53.10 PM

15 Responses to “Friday Estimates”

1. Max S. says:

Last Flag Flying did the same business on the same screen count as My Friend Dahmer? That either can’t possibly be right, or that’s really, really bad for the Linklater movie.

2. JS Partisan says:

So, that’s three 100m dollar openings, for Marvel Studios this year. Probably what? 2.4 billion from all three movies? Nice, and here’s to BAD MOMS 2… making some bank as well.

3. Bulldog68 says:

So unless Thor has terrible legs, which I don’t expect, comic book movies will be 4 for 5 with getting over $300m this year. And the one that didn’t reach that threshold was the R rated Logan. Let’s see if JL can keep that hot streak going.

4. JS Partisan says:

5. dinovelvet says:

Assuming Justice League hits its bare minimum, 6 out of 10 of the highest grossers of the year will be superhero movies. Yay…?

6. Dr Wally Rises says:

And let’s not forget that many were positing that Call of Duty would hurt Thor a bit – I think you have your answer.

7. Lynch Van Sant says:

Lady Bird will have an $80,000+ per screen average challenging The Big Sick for current highest of 2017. I can see it being a similar word-of-mouth hit. And it still bugs me that Saoirse Ronan was robbed of Best Actress Oscar for Brooklyn. She’ll have a long and acclaimed career as the Kate Winslet of her generation.

8. Bulldog68 says:

“Here’s hoping JL just opens worth a damn, and isn’t thrown under the fucking bus. If I were a Warners exec. I’d be nervous as a motherfucker about JL opening. It’s not going to get a 94 RT score, it may not be as fucking funny, and it’s already has the entire mountain of the DCEU to overcome. Oy… just… oy.”

And that’s the weird ass backward world we live in. Maybe we’re in the Upside Down. MCU’s movies open well, are reviewed way better than DC, have better legs, are considerably more fun, but yet DC generally opens bigger, (with few exceptions of course), drop like a stone, but still consistently hit that $300m mark.

I don’t know whether JL should be nervous, or Thor should be worried that that JL may prevent it from hitting the stratosphere and merely keeping it as a good instead of great performer. After all, no matter what JL will open, and will take some of the dollars away from folks who may have wanted to sample Thor for a 2nd time.

9. Pete B says:

JL should open fine just because of Wonder Woman.

10. Joshua K. says:

I wonder if any viewers were confused by the fact that LBJ and LADY BIRD are opening the same weekend.

11. Ray Pride says:

Joe Leydon may have a joke.

12. JoeLeydon says:

I still think The Martian Manhunter has been seriously rooked by not being in the Justice League movie.

13. Pete B. says:

^ Not to mention the promotional opportunities DC missed with Oreo cookies…

14. palmtree says:

JL looks considerably more fun than previous DC films and has the benefit of having everyone in it. It may not be Avengers money, but I’d think grossing lower than 300 is not a possibility.

15. Dr Wally Rises says:

Those sweet Thanksgiving weekend dollars should ensure that JL gets over $300 million. And yet the announced running time of 121 minutes is interesting. Either it curtails the tendency of the DC movies so far to be windy and lumbering (sorry but even the beloved Wonder Woman was a touch baggy at 140 minutes). Or it could be a Dark Tower-style hack and slash / too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen fiasco.

“I never accepted the term contrarian. I think that’s offensive, frankly. And my response to that is: if I’m a contrarian, what are other reviewers? What I strive to do is be a good critic, not somebody who simply accepts the product put in front of me. I guess it scares people to think that they don’t have any originality; that they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves.

“There’s a line a lot of reviewers use that I don’t like at all. They say ‘accept the film on its own terms.’ What that really means is, ‘accept the film as it is advertised.’ That’s got nothing to do with criticism. Nothing to do with having a response as a film watcher. A thinking person has to analyze what’s on screen, not simply rubber-stamp it or kowtow to marketing.”m

“To me, everything does have a political component and I think it’s an interesting way to look at art. It’s one way that makes film reviewing, I think, a politically relevant form of journalism. We do live in a political world, and we bring our political sense to the movies with us – unless you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies and shuts off the outside world. I’m not that kind of person.”
~ Armond White to Luke Buckmaster

“One of comedy’s defining pathologies, alongside literal pathologies like narcissism and self-loathing, is its swaggering certainty that it is part of the political vanguard, while upholding one of the most rigidly patriarchal hierarchies of any art form.”
~ Lindy West