Friday Estimates

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.53.10 PM

15 Responses to “Friday Estimates”

1. Max S. says:

Last Flag Flying did the same business on the same screen count as My Friend Dahmer? That either can’t possibly be right, or that’s really, really bad for the Linklater movie.

2. JS Partisan says:

So, that’s three 100m dollar openings, for Marvel Studios this year. Probably what? 2.4 billion from all three movies? Nice, and here’s to BAD MOMS 2… making some bank as well.

3. Bulldog68 says:

So unless Thor has terrible legs, which I don’t expect, comic book movies will be 4 for 5 with getting over $300m this year. And the one that didn’t reach that threshold was the R rated Logan. Let’s see if JL can keep that hot streak going.

4. JS Partisan says:

5. dinovelvet says:

Assuming Justice League hits its bare minimum, 6 out of 10 of the highest grossers of the year will be superhero movies. Yay…?

6. Dr Wally Rises says:

And let’s not forget that many were positing that Call of Duty would hurt Thor a bit – I think you have your answer.

7. Lynch Van Sant says:

Lady Bird will have an $80,000+ per screen average challenging The Big Sick for current highest of 2017. I can see it being a similar word-of-mouth hit. And it still bugs me that Saoirse Ronan was robbed of Best Actress Oscar for Brooklyn. She’ll have a long and acclaimed career as the Kate Winslet of her generation.

8. Bulldog68 says:

“Here’s hoping JL just opens worth a damn, and isn’t thrown under the fucking bus. If I were a Warners exec. I’d be nervous as a motherfucker about JL opening. It’s not going to get a 94 RT score, it may not be as fucking funny, and it’s already has the entire mountain of the DCEU to overcome. Oy… just… oy.”

And that’s the weird ass backward world we live in. Maybe we’re in the Upside Down. MCU’s movies open well, are reviewed way better than DC, have better legs, are considerably more fun, but yet DC generally opens bigger, (with few exceptions of course), drop like a stone, but still consistently hit that $300m mark.

I don’t know whether JL should be nervous, or Thor should be worried that that JL may prevent it from hitting the stratosphere and merely keeping it as a good instead of great performer. After all, no matter what JL will open, and will take some of the dollars away from folks who may have wanted to sample Thor for a 2nd time.

9. Pete B says:

JL should open fine just because of Wonder Woman.

10. Joshua K. says:

I wonder if any viewers were confused by the fact that LBJ and LADY BIRD are opening the same weekend.

11. Ray Pride says:

Joe Leydon may have a joke.

12. JoeLeydon says:

I still think The Martian Manhunter has been seriously rooked by not being in the Justice League movie.

13. Pete B. says:

^ Not to mention the promotional opportunities DC missed with Oreo cookies…

14. palmtree says:

JL looks considerably more fun than previous DC films and has the benefit of having everyone in it. It may not be Avengers money, but I’d think grossing lower than 300 is not a possibility.

15. Dr Wally Rises says:

Those sweet Thanksgiving weekend dollars should ensure that JL gets over $300 million. And yet the announced running time of 121 minutes is interesting. Either it curtails the tendency of the DC movies so far to be windy and lumbering (sorry but even the beloved Wonder Woman was a touch baggy at 140 minutes). Or it could be a Dark Tower-style hack and slash / too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen fiasco.

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch

To me, Hunter S. Thompson was a hero. His early books were great, but in many ways, his life and career post–Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is a cautionary tale for authors. People expected him to be high and drunk all the time and play that persona, and he stuck with that to the end, and I don’t think it was good for him. I always sort of feel mixed emotions when I hear that people went and hung out with Hunter and how great it was to get high with Hunter. The fact is the guy was having difficulty doing any sustained writing at all for years probably because so many quote, unquote, “friends” wanted to get high with him … There was a badly disappointed romantic there. I mean, that great line, “This is where the wave broke, the tide rolled back … ” This was a guy that was hurt and disappointed and very bitter about things, and it made his writing beautiful, and also with that came a lot of pain.
~ Anthony Bourdain