Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Trailering PHANTOM THREAD

8 Responses to “Trailering PHANTOM THREAD”

1. PTA Fluffer says:

This is one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen. PTA Fluffer predicts major noms in all categories.

2. Geoff says:

“You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments. Things that only I knew were there. Secrets.”

So I’m thinking he could be a closeted homosexual. Or not.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Bums me out that this is it for Day-Lewis. It’s all I can think about when I see or read about the trailer. Just feel sad.

4. Eric says:

I love everyone involved in this movie but the trailer does nothing for me.

5. Mike says:

This trailer makes me want to see this movie less.

6. Bulldog68 says:

Is this the point where Chucky chimes in about all the Oscar bait that is contained in this trailer. I’d totally agree. Costumes? Check. White People Angst? Check. Subtle hints at an even subtler plot? Check. The words “Period Drama” in the synopsis? Check. Level of my interest? Looks like a snooze.

7. spassky says:

it looks absolutely gorgeous. that score — my god. a sharp u-turn back to the territory of ‘the master’. can’t wait to see manville and ddl’s work as well as krieps. can’t wait for the psychosexual simmer. bring this the fuck on.

8. Sideshow Bill says:

I have absolutely no interest in the subject matter but it’s PTA so i will be there with bells on. I felt the same way after the TWBB trailer and it’s become one of my all-time favorite films.

“I never accepted the term contrarian. I think that’s offensive, frankly. And my response to that is: if I’m a contrarian, what are other reviewers? What I strive to do is be a good critic, not somebody who simply accepts the product put in front of me. I guess it scares people to think that they don’t have any originality; that they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves.

“There’s a line a lot of reviewers use that I don’t like at all. They say ‘accept the film on its own terms.’ What that really means is, ‘accept the film as it is advertised.’ That’s got nothing to do with criticism. Nothing to do with having a response as a film watcher. A thinking person has to analyze what’s on screen, not simply rubber-stamp it or kowtow to marketing.”m

“To me, everything does have a political component and I think it’s an interesting way to look at art. It’s one way that makes film reviewing, I think, a politically relevant form of journalism. We do live in a political world, and we bring our political sense to the movies with us – unless you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies and shuts off the outside world. I’m not that kind of person.”
~ Armond White to Luke Buckmaster

“One of comedy’s defining pathologies, alongside literal pathologies like narcissism and self-loathing, is its swaggering certainty that it is part of the political vanguard, while upholding one of the most rigidly patriarchal hierarchies of any art form.”
~ Lindy West