Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Trailering PHANTOM THREAD

8 Responses to “Trailering PHANTOM THREAD”

1. PTA Fluffer says:

This is one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen. PTA Fluffer predicts major noms in all categories.

2. Geoff says:

“You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments. Things that only I knew were there. Secrets.”

So I’m thinking he could be a closeted homosexual. Or not.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Bums me out that this is it for Day-Lewis. It’s all I can think about when I see or read about the trailer. Just feel sad.

4. Eric says:

I love everyone involved in this movie but the trailer does nothing for me.

5. Mike says:

This trailer makes me want to see this movie less.

6. Bulldog68 says:

Is this the point where Chucky chimes in about all the Oscar bait that is contained in this trailer. I’d totally agree. Costumes? Check. White People Angst? Check. Subtle hints at an even subtler plot? Check. The words “Period Drama” in the synopsis? Check. Level of my interest? Looks like a snooze.

7. spassky says:

it looks absolutely gorgeous. that score — my god. a sharp u-turn back to the territory of ‘the master’. can’t wait to see manville and ddl’s work as well as krieps. can’t wait for the psychosexual simmer. bring this the fuck on.

8. Sideshow Bill says:

I have absolutely no interest in the subject matter but it’s PTA so i will be there with bells on. I felt the same way after the TWBB trailer and it’s become one of my all-time favorite films.

“That’s an artifact of just what a strange animal it was. They didn’t know, none of us really knew what to call it, or how to classify it. But aside from the confusion about the classification, the actual what we were going to shoot — the length of each of the stories, all of which vary — there was never anything that we were considering doing any differently. There were never any more stories and they were always intended to be seen as a group.”
~ Joel Coen on The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs at NYFF press conference

“I find it hard to believe that it’s pure machismo. It’s too simple of a thought. I don’t know what the reason could be. I also think that it makes sense that, as time goes by, filmmaking should become more of a women-dominated activity. To me, of course, I feel like it’s going to happen. It seems to me that, especially for a certain cinema with its own language, you need to take a lot of risks. And women receive a type of education that allows much more for failure than the type men receive. It is easier for a woman to take risks than for a man. But I’ll also tell you another thing, women need to learn to master the tools, to solve technical problems, to control unscripted situations. There is also a totally macho attitude that many women have internalized in terms of not solving certain technical problems on their own. That also makes them a little less capable… Female DoPs often think that their technical area is limited to pen and paper. And that’s wrong. You need to learn a lot of things to be a good DoP. For me, machismo breeds both a masculine education and a nefarious feminine education. Macho culture engenders an education for men and another for women. The education for men we already know, and is easily criticized. And the nefarious education that machismo has for women is exemplified by women who ultimately ignore how to use tools, who—when something breaks, or when it gets dark—are rendered useless and get desperate. Women who do not even know how to build a fire. They don’t know how to deal with these situations, because these were activities that have traditionally been delegated to men. That can make us… not very… prone to achieve certain things. For me, we first have to fight against our own education, and also against an external model of erasure that has rendered women less capable than men in certain fields.”
Lucrecia Martel