Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Trailering PHANTOM THREAD

8 Responses to “Trailering PHANTOM THREAD”

1. PTA Fluffer says:

This is one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen. PTA Fluffer predicts major noms in all categories.

2. Geoff says:

“You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments. Things that only I knew were there. Secrets.”

So I’m thinking he could be a closeted homosexual. Or not.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Bums me out that this is it for Day-Lewis. It’s all I can think about when I see or read about the trailer. Just feel sad.

4. Eric says:

I love everyone involved in this movie but the trailer does nothing for me.

5. Mike says:

This trailer makes me want to see this movie less.

6. Bulldog68 says:

Is this the point where Chucky chimes in about all the Oscar bait that is contained in this trailer. I’d totally agree. Costumes? Check. White People Angst? Check. Subtle hints at an even subtler plot? Check. The words “Period Drama” in the synopsis? Check. Level of my interest? Looks like a snooze.

7. spassky says:

it looks absolutely gorgeous. that score — my god. a sharp u-turn back to the territory of ‘the master’. can’t wait to see manville and ddl’s work as well as krieps. can’t wait for the psychosexual simmer. bring this the fuck on.

8. Sideshow Bill says:

I have absolutely no interest in the subject matter but it’s PTA so i will be there with bells on. I felt the same way after the TWBB trailer and it’s become one of my all-time favorite films.

“With every table in the dining room occupied and me, the only waiter, neglecting the needs of a good fifty patrons, I approached Roth. Holding out Balls as a numbness set into the muscles of my face, I spoke. “Sir, I’ve heard you say that you don’t read fiction anymore, but I’ve just had my first novel published and I’d like to give you a copy.”

“His eyes lifting from his iPhone, he took the book from my hands. He congratulated me. Then, staring at the cover, he said, “Great title. I’m surprised I didn’t think of it myself.”

“These words worked on me like a hit of morphine. Like two hits. It felt as if I was no longer the occupant of my own body. The legs had gone weak, the ears warmed, the eyes watered, the heart rate increased rapidly. Barely able to keep myself upright, I told him, “Thank you.”

“Then Roth, who, the world would learn sixteen days later, was retiring from writing, said, in an even tone, with seeming sincerity, “Yeah, this is great. But I would quit while you’re ahead. Really, it’s an awful field. Just torture. Awful. You write and write, and you have to throw almost all of it away because it’s not any good. I would say just stop now. You don’t want to do this to yourself. That’s my advice to you.”

“I managed, “It’s too late, sir. There’s no turning back. I’m in.”

“Nodding slowly, he said to me, “Well then, good luck.”

“After which I went back to work.”
~ Julian Tepper

“Any form of physical or sexual assault is a very serious matter, potentially a legal matter. But I’m also wondering, what about having some kind of “extreme asshole” clause? I know lots of people who have been abused verbally and psychologically. That’s traumatizing, too. What do we do with that?  It takes a lot of energy to be an asshole. The people I admire most just aren’t interested in things that take away from their ability to make stuff. The people I really respect, and that I’ve met who fit this definition, have a sense of grace about them, because they know that there is no evolving and there is no wisdom without humility. You can’t get better if you behave in a way that shuts people off. You can’t! You don’t have all the ideas necessary to solve something. You don’t! I’m sure if you spoke to Harvey in his heyday and said to him what I just said to you, he would believe that he accomplished all that he had because of the way he behaved.”
~ Steven Soderbergh