Ray Pride

By Ray Pride

Harry Dean, Off To The Dan Tana’s In The Sunset Sky

Lucky Harry Dean Stanton

7 Responses to “Harry Dean, Off To The Dan Tana’s In The Sunset Sky”

1. jspartisan says:

There’s no other actor, ever, who could do what HDS did. He’s fucking irreplaceable, but it’s very cool that he went from 1954 to 2017. That’s some solid fucking awesome.

2. Ray Pride says:

Lucky opens later this month. It’s as Harry Dean as it gets.

3. PTA Fluffer says:

Now his perf in Lucky seems destined for a posthumous Oscar nom.

4. Ray Pride says:

Considering the first word he speaks in the movie…

5. LBB says:

There were none like him and there will never be. Improved everything he was in just by showing up and demonstrated the best of his skills in every moment. We were lucky to live in his times.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

I’m gutted. I thought he would just live forever. Like LBB says above he automatically improved everything he was in. He has I think 3 scenes in Carpenter’s Christine but they elevate the whole thing. He was so good, so unique. There was always so much going on behind his eyes. This really hurts. RIP HDS.

7. LBB says:

I’d honestly forgotten he was in CHRISTINE, Sideshow Bill. I imagine I’ve forgotten more films he was in than I remember, which will make the coming months (years?) a fresh sadness as we remember something or come across him in something we watch again in a long time. I’ve known his name and face since ALIEN (which I wasn’t allowed to see, so I pored over film books in the library and absorbed it as much as possible), and his appearances so often were less “hey, it’s Harry Dean Stanton!” and more “okay, at least this movie has Harry Dean Stanton.” He was a reassuring presence, someone who made you feel so comfortable and pleased in those moments. Losing him is like the planet losing a basic element. We’ll go on but certain critical combinations will be impossible.

“I think [technology has[ its made my life faster, it’s made the ability to succeed easier. But has that made my life better? Is it better now than it was in the eighties or seventies? I don’t think we are happier. Maybe because I’m 55, I really am asking these questions… I really want to do meaningful things! This is also the time that I really want to focus on directing. I think that I will act less and less. I’ve been doing it for 52 years. It’s a long time to do one thing and I feel like there are a lot of stories that I got out of my system that I don’t need to tell anymore. I don’t need to ever do The Accused again! That is never going to happen again! You hit these milestones as an actor, and then you say, ‘Now what? Now what do I have to say?'”
~ Jodie Foster

“If there’s one rule Hollywood has metaphysically proven in its century of experimentation, it’s that there’s no amount of money you can’t squander in the quest for hits.

“Netflix has spent the past couple years attempting to brute-force jailbreak this law. Its counter-theory has seemed to be, sure, a billion dollars doesn’t guarantee quality but how about three billion dollars? How about five billion dollars? Seven?

“This week’s latest cinematic opus to run across no-man’s-land into the machine-gun emplacements has been the Jared Leto yakuza movie ‘The Outsider.’ Once again, debuting on Netflix, another thing called a movie that at one glance doesn’t look like any kind of movie anyone has ever seen before, outside of off-prime time screenings at the AFM.

“If you’re working at a normal studio, you have one or two of these total misfires in a year and people start calling for your head. How many is Netflix going on? Fifteen? Twenty? This quarter? Any normal company would be getting murdered over results like that.”
~ Richard Rushfield