Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Harry Dean, Off To The Dan Tana’s In The Sunset Sky

Lucky Harry Dean Stanton

7 Responses to “Harry Dean, Off To The Dan Tana’s In The Sunset Sky”

1. jspartisan says:

There’s no other actor, ever, who could do what HDS did. He’s fucking irreplaceable, but it’s very cool that he went from 1954 to 2017. That’s some solid fucking awesome.

2. Ray Pride says:

Lucky opens later this month. It’s as Harry Dean as it gets.

3. PTA Fluffer says:

Now his perf in Lucky seems destined for a posthumous Oscar nom.

4. Ray Pride says:

Considering the first word he speaks in the movie…

5. LBB says:

There were none like him and there will never be. Improved everything he was in just by showing up and demonstrated the best of his skills in every moment. We were lucky to live in his times.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

I’m gutted. I thought he would just live forever. Like LBB says above he automatically improved everything he was in. He has I think 3 scenes in Carpenter’s Christine but they elevate the whole thing. He was so good, so unique. There was always so much going on behind his eyes. This really hurts. RIP HDS.

7. LBB says:

I’d honestly forgotten he was in CHRISTINE, Sideshow Bill. I imagine I’ve forgotten more films he was in than I remember, which will make the coming months (years?) a fresh sadness as we remember something or come across him in something we watch again in a long time. I’ve known his name and face since ALIEN (which I wasn’t allowed to see, so I pored over film books in the library and absorbed it as much as possible), and his appearances so often were less “hey, it’s Harry Dean Stanton!” and more “okay, at least this movie has Harry Dean Stanton.” He was a reassuring presence, someone who made you feel so comfortable and pleased in those moments. Losing him is like the planet losing a basic element. We’ll go on but certain critical combinations will be impossible.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch