Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Friday Estimates By Lean Len

Friday Report 170902

What’s notable on the Friday of a second desolate box-office weekend in a row?

Weinstein Co.’s summer’s-end clearing of the shelf with three features—Leap!, Tulip Fever, Wind River—nets nearly $3 million, with Wind River at a notable $13.5 million cume. Logan Lucky holds onto nearly 3,000 screens with the lack of incoming product. Two episodes of Marvel’s ABC television series “Inhumans” grosses $500,000 on 393 Imax screens. (The series was partially filmed in that format).

11 Responses to “Friday Estimates By Lean Len”

1. Bulldog68 says:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad.

2. Movieman says:

“Patti Cake$” is the biggest “Sundance-movie-picked-up-for-a-small-fortune” bomb since…?

Anyone?

3. Hcat says:

I will have to look but it may holld the all time title as i believe it sold for half a million more than Happy TX which was the previous cautionary tale. Though I would like to point out that I enjoyed Happy and have heard that Patti is decent as well, the common critique of the two is that they were a little too on the nose.

So since there will be little to say about the box office, what tops your list of Sundance films that were criminally ignored? Mine would be Transsiberian, tight thriller with a fantastic Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer performance.

4. Ray Pride says:

Reported purchase prices without other consideration indicated:
    Patti Cake$: $10.5 million
    Birth Of A Nation, 2016: $17.5 million
    Happy, Texas, 1999: estimated $10 million
    Next Stop Wonderland, 1998: $6 million
    Spitfire Grill, 1996: $10 million

5. js Partisan says:

Put Pattie Cakes on Netflix, and watch it be a whole thing.

6. Triple Option says:

Ha! I was going to say Spitfire Grill. How much was that Mary May Marlene cult movie? That was Sundance, right? I don’t know which ones have made money but I’m trying to think of a film that came out of there that wasn’t overrated.

7. J says:

As far as other considerations go, ‘Next Stop Wonderland’ was the first time I saw Hope Davis. It is therefore priceless.

8. Spacesheik says:

Bulldog68 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm
    “The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad”.

Number #1 for 3 weeks – marketing can exploit that – it is a crowd pleaser, the audience I saw it with seemed to have enjoyed themselves – good chemistry, good action, fast paced.

9. Thorough Henry says:

What was the last movie to be number 1 for three weeks with this low a gross? I remember even Disturbia breaking double digits all three weeks it led the box office.

10. EtGuild2 says:

DISTURBIA actually only hit $9 million in weekend 3 but had miniscule drops the following few weeks. If HB cant’ break $80 million, it would be the lowest BO hat-trick grosser since WHOLE NINE YARDS back in 2000.

“I never accepted the term contrarian. I think that’s offensive, frankly. And my response to that is: if I’m a contrarian, what are other reviewers? What I strive to do is be a good critic, not somebody who simply accepts the product put in front of me. I guess it scares people to think that they don’t have any originality; that they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves.

“There’s a line a lot of reviewers use that I don’t like at all. They say ‘accept the film on its own terms.’ What that really means is, ‘accept the film as it is advertised.’ That’s got nothing to do with criticism. Nothing to do with having a response as a film watcher. A thinking person has to analyze what’s on screen, not simply rubber-stamp it or kowtow to marketing.”m

“To me, everything does have a political component and I think it’s an interesting way to look at art. It’s one way that makes film reviewing, I think, a politically relevant form of journalism. We do live in a political world, and we bring our political sense to the movies with us – unless you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies and shuts off the outside world. I’m not that kind of person.”
~ Armond White to Luke Buckmaster

“One of comedy’s defining pathologies, alongside literal pathologies like narcissism and self-loathing, is its swaggering certainty that it is part of the political vanguard, while upholding one of the most rigidly patriarchal hierarchies of any art form.”
~ Lindy West