Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Friday Estimates By Lean Len

Friday Report 170902

What’s notable on the Friday of a second desolate box-office weekend in a row?

Weinstein Co.’s summer’s-end clearing of the shelf with three features—Leap!, Tulip Fever, Wind River—nets nearly $3 million, with Wind River at a notable $13.5 million cume. Logan Lucky holds onto nearly 3,000 screens with the lack of incoming product. Two episodes of Marvel’s ABC television series “Inhumans” grosses $500,000 on 393 Imax screens. (The series was partially filmed in that format).

11 Responses to “Friday Estimates By Lean Len”

1. Bulldog68 says:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad.

2. Movieman says:

“Patti Cake$” is the biggest “Sundance-movie-picked-up-for-a-small-fortune” bomb since…?

Anyone?

3. Hcat says:

I will have to look but it may holld the all time title as i believe it sold for half a million more than Happy TX which was the previous cautionary tale. Though I would like to point out that I enjoyed Happy and have heard that Patti is decent as well, the common critique of the two is that they were a little too on the nose.

So since there will be little to say about the box office, what tops your list of Sundance films that were criminally ignored? Mine would be Transsiberian, tight thriller with a fantastic Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer performance.

4. Ray Pride says:

Reported purchase prices without other consideration indicated:
    Patti Cake$: $10.5 million
    Birth Of A Nation, 2016: $17.5 million
    Happy, Texas, 1999: estimated $10 million
    Next Stop Wonderland, 1998: $6 million
    Spitfire Grill, 1996: $10 million

5. js Partisan says:

Put Pattie Cakes on Netflix, and watch it be a whole thing.

6. Triple Option says:

Ha! I was going to say Spitfire Grill. How much was that Mary May Marlene cult movie? That was Sundance, right? I don’t know which ones have made money but I’m trying to think of a film that came out of there that wasn’t overrated.

7. J says:

As far as other considerations go, ‘Next Stop Wonderland’ was the first time I saw Hope Davis. It is therefore priceless.

8. Spacesheik says:

Bulldog68 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm
    “The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad”.

Number #1 for 3 weeks – marketing can exploit that – it is a crowd pleaser, the audience I saw it with seemed to have enjoyed themselves – good chemistry, good action, fast paced.

9. Thorough Henry says:

What was the last movie to be number 1 for three weeks with this low a gross? I remember even Disturbia breaking double digits all three weeks it led the box office.

10. EtGuild2 says:

DISTURBIA actually only hit $9 million in weekend 3 but had miniscule drops the following few weeks. If HB cant’ break $80 million, it would be the lowest BO hat-trick grosser since WHOLE NINE YARDS back in 2000.

“TIFF doesn’t make attendance numbers for its Lightbox screenings publicly available, so it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many filmgoers the Lightbox is attracting (or how much money it’s bringing in). But the King Street West venue hasn’t become a significant draw for film enthusiasts. The Lightbox’s attendance has plunged – 49,000 fewer visitors last year, a drop of 27 per cent, according to figures recently reported in the Toronto Star. Its gallery space – designed to showcase the visions of cinema’s most iconic filmmakers – saw most of its exhibitions staff quietly axed this past fall. And its marketing barely escapes the Lightbox’s walls. Unless you are a TIFF member or one of the city’s most avid filmgoers, you could walk by the Lightbox and remain blissfully unaware of a single thing that goes on inside. TIFF “still has a world-class brand,” said Barry Avrich, a filmmaker and former board member, “but it’s going to take some fresh vision from retail, consumer programming and marketing experts, given how the lines have become intensely blurred when it comes to how people watch film. They will have to experiment with programming to find the right blend of function and relevance.”
~ Globe & Mail Epic On State of Toronto Int’l (paywalled)

“I’m 87 years old… I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive… The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there’s nothing. Like there was before I was born. I’m not really into religion, they’re all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

“The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

“Anybody else you’ve interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call… Hey, brother. That’s great, man. Yeah, I’m being interviewed… We’re talking about nothing. I’ve got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He’s stopped asking questions.”
~ Harry Dean Stanton