Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Friday Estimates By Lean Len

Friday Report 170902

What’s notable on the Friday of a second desolate box-office weekend in a row?

Weinstein Co.’s summer’s-end clearing of the shelf with three features—Leap!, Tulip Fever, Wind River—nets nearly $3 million, with Wind River at a notable $13.5 million cume. Logan Lucky holds onto nearly 3,000 screens with the lack of incoming product. Two episodes of Marvel’s ABC television series “Inhumans” grosses $500,000 on 393 Imax screens. (The series was partially filmed in that format).

11 Responses to “Friday Estimates By Lean Len”

1. Bulldog68 says:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad.

2. Movieman says:

“Patti Cake$” is the biggest “Sundance-movie-picked-up-for-a-small-fortune” bomb since…?

Anyone?

3. Hcat says:

I will have to look but it may holld the all time title as i believe it sold for half a million more than Happy TX which was the previous cautionary tale. Though I would like to point out that I enjoyed Happy and have heard that Patti is decent as well, the common critique of the two is that they were a little too on the nose.

So since there will be little to say about the box office, what tops your list of Sundance films that were criminally ignored? Mine would be Transsiberian, tight thriller with a fantastic Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer performance.

4. Ray Pride says:

Reported purchase prices without other consideration indicated:
    Patti Cake$: $10.5 million
    Birth Of A Nation, 2016: $17.5 million
    Happy, Texas, 1999: estimated $10 million
    Next Stop Wonderland, 1998: $6 million
    Spitfire Grill, 1996: $10 million

5. js Partisan says:

Put Pattie Cakes on Netflix, and watch it be a whole thing.

6. Triple Option says:

Ha! I was going to say Spitfire Grill. How much was that Mary May Marlene cult movie? That was Sundance, right? I don’t know which ones have made money but I’m trying to think of a film that came out of there that wasn’t overrated.

7. J says:

As far as other considerations go, ‘Next Stop Wonderland’ was the first time I saw Hope Davis. It is therefore priceless.

8. Spacesheik says:

Bulldog68 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm
    “The Hitman’s Bodyguard is certainly benefiting from the lack of new releases and has turned into a decent hit with a $75m possibility. Not bad”.

Number #1 for 3 weeks – marketing can exploit that – it is a crowd pleaser, the audience I saw it with seemed to have enjoyed themselves – good chemistry, good action, fast paced.

9. Thorough Henry says:

What was the last movie to be number 1 for three weeks with this low a gross? I remember even Disturbia breaking double digits all three weeks it led the box office.

10. EtGuild2 says:

DISTURBIA actually only hit $9 million in weekend 3 but had miniscule drops the following few weeks. If HB cant’ break $80 million, it would be the lowest BO hat-trick grosser since WHOLE NINE YARDS back in 2000.

Triple Option on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Bill Mechanic on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

dberg on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Mostly Lurking on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

palmtree on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Gonzalo Jimenez on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

David Bordwell on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Jspartisan on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Glamourboy on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Daniel on: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch

To me, Hunter S. Thompson was a hero. His early books were great, but in many ways, his life and career post–Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is a cautionary tale for authors. People expected him to be high and drunk all the time and play that persona, and he stuck with that to the end, and I don’t think it was good for him. I always sort of feel mixed emotions when I hear that people went and hung out with Hunter and how great it was to get high with Hunter. The fact is the guy was having difficulty doing any sustained writing at all for years probably because so many quote, unquote, “friends” wanted to get high with him … There was a badly disappointed romantic there. I mean, that great line, “This is where the wave broke, the tide rolled back … ” This was a guy that was hurt and disappointed and very bitter about things, and it made his writing beautiful, and also with that came a lot of pain.
~ Anthony Bourdain