MCN Columnists

24 Weeks To Oscar: Where We Are After TIFF

Only two movies came out of North American premieres at TIFF (which is essentially over, even though it goes on for five more days) with legitimate Best Picture hopes, Molly’s Game and the Venice-premiering Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Five more movies that were not at Telluride (two at Venice) and stirred the waters in a big way at Toronto: The Disaster ArtistI, Tonyamother!Roman Israel, Esq. and Victoria & Abdul.

Of these five, only Victoria & Abdul has a legitimate chance of a Best Picture nomination. The others may turn up in other categories, including acting and writing, but it would take an awful lot of A24 magic to make The Disaster Artist anything more than the most beloved inside-baseball (for people under 60) movie of the season.

So what does that mean?

I have a hard time putting either of the big TIFF movies on a list a likely or in without seeing them. So…

IN

The Florida Project
Get Out
Mudbound
Wind River
Wonderstruck
Wonder Woman

Don’t get me wrong. If the “Longshot” list all got nominated, it would be a great year for Oscars. No one would watch the show, but all those films have passionate support, completely deserved.

Five of the six major studios could all be represented (big studio or dependent) with Best Picture nominations, with A24, Amazon, and against the odds, STX… and perhaps Weinstein, Annapurna, Sony Classics and Netflix.

There is every chance this will be one of the calmer award seasons… lots of very good movies and not a lot of hate. But then again, Greta Gerwig and Denzel Washington could be the primary representatives of women and people of color this season. (Can Greta Gerwig actually get nominated for Best Director for her first solo directing gig? Just writing the question is freaking me out.)

I don’t have a ton more to say at this point, so why stretch? I have four key movies to see, aside from the movies that won’t likely be seen at all until November.

Off we go…

11 Responses to “24 Weeks To Oscar: Where We Are After TIFF”

1. YancySkancy says:

It’s Gerwig’s solo directing debut. She co-directed Joe Swanberg’s Nights and Weekends in 2008.

I haven’t seen much this year, but this seems like a more interesting field than usual.

2. lockedcut says:

The highest oscar ratings always correlate to blockbusters with best picture nominations. So if Wonder Woman and beauty and the beast were nominated (from the long shots) the oscars would have its highest ratings since the avatar year, not the lowest, 100% wrong to say no one would watch if the longshots were all nominated. If all the top films were nominated, no one will watch, if blockbusters are nominated, people will watch.

3. lockedcut says:

I would say :

IN
    Dunkirk
    Blade Runner
    Wonder Woman

LIKELY IN
    Lady Bird
    Darkest Hour
    Get Out
    Florida Project
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Shape of Water

IN IF IT GETS A DECENT TITLE CHANGE
    The Papers (what an awful re-title effort, profoundly stupid and insulting your audience)

SO HAPPY WE LUCKED INTO SCRIPT AND ACTING NOMINATIONS
    Victoria & Abdul
    Big Sick
    Molly’s Game
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Call Me By Your Name
    The Disaster Artist
    Downsizing

OH! AN EDITING NOMINATION THAT MEANS WE ALMOST GOT A PICTURE NOMINATION (…NOT!)
    Baby Driver

DEFINITELY NOT IN THE GAME (Maybe a single nom somewheres)
    Detroit
    First They Killed My Father
    Mudbound
    Wind River

MAKING CRITICS WHINGE ABOUT HOW UNFAIR _____ IS
    Wonderstruck

4. Sergio says:

IN:
    Wonder Woman
    Dunkirk
    The Shape of Water
    Blade Runner
    The Post
    Eastwood (if out in time)

LIKELYs
    Florida Project
    Lady Bird
    Wind River
    Three Billboards
    Get Out

5. Bradley says:

Oh my god,I like you a lot Dave but these picks are stunningly bad. I’m excited about Lady Bird but to have it higher than Call Me By Your Name is willful ignorance. You find me a movie this year with better reviews and audience reception. Tap your compass friend, you’re way off course.

6. tarah says:

It’s likely Gerwig receives a director nomination. I mean she has a lot of support from her colleagues and critics, and A24 are taking LADY BIRD all the way. Other likely nominations including best picture, best actress, best supporting actress and original screenplay.

7. Chris says:

Sounds like you must not have cared for “Stronger?” I would not underestimate its Oscar potential, particularly if it becomes the bit it seems like it could be (if they can get out the message that it’s nothing like the other Boston Marathon-derived movie).

8. John E says:

Beauty & the Beast should have 0% chance of Best Picture nod. I know it made a lot, but come on. I’d eliminate Detroit too.

9. Poet says:

The highest Oscar telecast ratings correlate more to who’s hosting than to what’s nominated.

10. MyMommaSays says:

Why does no one talk about “Columbus,” the best movie of the year? And something else will emerge from the pile, like “Marshall” (at least for Boseman?)

11. Chris says:

No one talks about (excellent, agreed) “Columbus” because they haven’t seen it. And because it doesn’t have a chance in hell at any Oscar nominations.

“If there are theories about me, I’d rather not know. Astrophysics – now that’s fascinating. String theory, worm holes, the expanding universe, the Big Bang versus the Big Bounce – those are the kind of theories that make you feel like living and understanding the mystery of the world. Film theory is just a pain in the ass.”
~ Claire Denis

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish