Friday Estimates by The Dregs Of Summer Klady

Friday Estimates 2017-08-26 at 10.39.46 AM

I’ve been dealing with a sinus infection the last few days… almost over… like the summer… like my will to write about failure.

There isn’t much to say about this week, aside from wrapping up the summer. And I need a clearer head for that.

Everything is perspective. There are six $600 million+ worldwide movies this summer. There were only five last summer. There were only six in the massive summer of 2015. This notion that the entire industry is operating on only high-octane is wrong. And the business of high-octane remains as treacherous as ever. (Same with medium and low octane.)

Is there franchise fatigue? Yes. And no. Of the Top 10 films this summer, only Dunkirk was an original… and amazingly, by Nolan standards, it did better in the U.S. than the rest of the world. His film passes $400m worldwide today.

Was Pirates a disappointing gross for Disney? Sure. But it still will make (a little) money.

Alien: Covenant will find a road to breakeven. The Dark Tower could still make it to black ink… or more likely, some red, but not dead red. Valerian was pre-sold so that it won’t kill anyone. Really, King Arthur is the only major disaster of the summer. And (somehow), Guy Ritchie is on to remake a Disney classic. (When a female director can make that kind of recovery, we will know things have gotten better on the equality scale.)

The summer was blah. Wonder Woman was the only big positive surprise at the major studio level. Everything else was pre-packaged and carried great expectations that were mostly undelivered. But not disastrously. Even while Dunkirk could have gone terribly bad, it went well… but not well enough to be a great positive surprise worldwide (and worldwide grosses are the only grosses that matter).

Anyway… giving myself a headache… literally.

See you tomorrow. Go to the indie cinemas… terrific stuff out there.

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by The Dregs Of Summer Klady”

1. Stella's Boy says:

I wonder what Death Note would have made if it had been released in theaters this weekend. It’s too bad the movie is so terrible (SPOILERS follow). I have no familiarity with the source material but I look forward to whatever Wingard directs. It seemed like it would at least be a fun late-summer watch. It’s not even close to that. Light finds the book literally 30 seconds into the movie. The demon shows up a minute or two later. And then suddenly he’s Kira. I had whiplash trying to keep up. They gloss over everything that could have made for a compelling story. Who is this kid? How does he adjust to having this power? How does he decide who lives or dies? What qualifies him to make those choices? How doe he cope with killing people? There’s potential for an interesting horror flick there, and the filmmakers do nothing with it. An hour in I was bored silly. Doesn’t help that Wolff is really bland and not a good lead, and the romance is laughably stupid. The supporting cast is strong and there’s some decent gore, but on the whole it’s a really bad movie and a huge disappointment.

2. Eric says:

Has anyone seen T2 3D? Is it worth a trip to the theater?

3. EtGuild2 says:

This is guaranteed to be the slowest weekend since the weekend after Labor Day, 2014. I’m glad I looked this up, because that weekend featured an IMAX re-release of FOREST GUMP…

and my favorite, “holy shit what were they thinking and what drugs were they on” wide release of the last few years, the Elvis Presley pseudo twin movie that rewrites rock and roll history, and pretends that the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam were of secondary concern in late-Sixties America to Israel’s Six-Day War. THE IDENTICAL. As my beloved Dave White said “The truly memorable bad film, the kind you return to and urge like-minded friends to witness just so you can watch their jaws drop, is one in which each set-up of the camera, each line of dialogue, contains a fresh opportunity for the filmmakers to make the wildest of wrong choices.”

Labor Day and the weekends bookending it have featured some uniquely memorable film experiences for me that have been lacking the last couple years:

2014: The Identical
    2012: Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
    2009: All About Steve (given the reputations of Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper now, it’s one I’ve stumbled upon this multiple times and watched with bug-eyed disbelief on cable)
    2006: The Wicker Man

Hopefully Charlie Sheen restores order with 9/11 this year, without making me want to burn the theater down.

4. Dr Wally Rises says:

I’m trying to seek out T2 this week and the Close Encounters restoration on the big screen next week. Nostalgia sure beats contemplating the present.

5. Sideshow Bill says:

The girlfriend and I are going to see Wind River next Saturday, providing it’s still playing. I work this weekend. WR or Ingrid Goes West.

6. Movieman says:

When a female director can make that kind of recovery, we will know things have gotten better on the equality scale.

So true, and so very sad.

7. TrackerBacker says:

The top movie next weekend might only make $5-6M or so for the 3-day. Insane.

8. Michael Bergeron says:

all the theaters are closed in Houston until further notice … sad

9. leahnz says:

oops

What do you make of the criticism directed at the film that the biopic genre or format is intrinsically bourgeois? That’s the most crazy criticism. That’s an excuse for not engaging with the content of the movie. Film critics sometimes, you know, can be very lazy.

Come on, formal criticism is valuable too. But I’m amazed when this is the thing they put in front of the discourse. My situation is that I’m dealing with a highly explosive subject, a taboo subject that nobody wants to deal with.

Karl Marx? Yes, this is the first film ever in the Western world about Marx. And I managed to make an almost mainstream film out of it. You want me at the same time to play the artist and do a risky film about the way my camera moves and the way I edit? No, it’s complicated enough! The artistic challenge — and it took me ten years with Pascal to write this story — was the writing. That was the most difficult part. We were making a film about the evolution of an idea, which is impossible. To be able to have political discourse in a scene, and you can follow it, and it’s not simplified, and it’s historically true. This is the accomplishment. So when someone criticizes the formal aspects without seeing that first, for me, it’s laziness or ignorance. There’s an incapacity to deal with what’s on the table. I make political films about today, I’m not making a biopic to make a biopic. I don’t believe in being an artist just to be an artist. And by the way, this film cost $9 million. I dare anyone in the United States to make this film for $9 million.
Raoul Peck on The Young Karl Marx

“The Motion Picture Academy, at considerable expense and with great efficiency, runs all the nominated pictures at its own theater, showing each picture twice, once in the afternoon, once in the evening. A nominated picture is one in connection with which any kind of work is nominated for an award, not necessarily acting, directing, or writing; it may be a purely technical matter such as set-dressing or sound work. This running of pictures has the object of permitting the voters to look at films which they may happen to have missed or to have partly forgotten. It is an attempt to make them realize that pictures released early in the year, and since overlaid with several thicknesses of battered celluloid, are still in the running and that consideration of only those released a short time before the end of the year is not quite just.

“The effort is largely a waste. The people with votes don’t go to these showings. They send their relatives, friends, or servants. They have had enough of looking at pictures, and the voices of destiny are by no means inaudible in the Hollywood air. They have a brassy tone, but they are more than distinct.”All this is good democracy of a sort. We elect Congressmen and Presidents in much the same way, so why not actors, cameramen, writers, and all rest of the people who have to do with the making of pictures? If we permit noise, ballyhoo, and theater to influence us in the selection of the people who are to run the country, why should we object to the same methods in the selection of meritorious achievements in the film business? If we can huckster a President into the White House, why cannot we huckster the agonized Miss Joan Crawford or the hard and beautiful Miss Olivia de Havilland into possession of one of those golden statuettes which express the motion picture industry’s frantic desire to kiss itself on the back of its neck? The only answer I can think of is that the motion picture is an art. I say this with a very small voice. It is an inconsiderable statement and has a hard time not sounding a little ludicrous. Nevertheless it is a fact, not in the least diminished by the further facts that its ethos is so far pretty low and that its techniques are dominated by some pretty awful people.

“If you think most motion pictures are bad, which they are (including the foreign), find out from some initiate how they are made, and you will be astonished that any of them could be good. Making a fine motion picture is like painting “The Laughing Cavalier” in Macy’s basement, with a floorwalker to mix your colors for you. Of course most motion pictures are bad. Why wouldn’t they be?”
~ Raymond Chandler, “Oscar Night In Hollywood,” 1948