Friday Estimates by The Dregs Of Summer Klady

Friday Estimates 2017-08-26 at 10.39.46 AM

I’ve been dealing with a sinus infection the last few days… almost over… like the summer… like my will to write about failure.

There isn’t much to say about this week, aside from wrapping up the summer. And I need a clearer head for that.

Everything is perspective. There are six $600 million+ worldwide movies this summer. There were only five last summer. There were only six in the massive summer of 2015. This notion that the entire industry is operating on only high-octane is wrong. And the business of high-octane remains as treacherous as ever. (Same with medium and low octane.)

Is there franchise fatigue? Yes. And no. Of the Top 10 films this summer, only Dunkirk was an original… and amazingly, by Nolan standards, it did better in the U.S. than the rest of the world. His film passes $400m worldwide today.

Was Pirates a disappointing gross for Disney? Sure. But it still will make (a little) money.

Alien: Covenant will find a road to breakeven. The Dark Tower could still make it to black ink… or more likely, some red, but not dead red. Valerian was pre-sold so that it won’t kill anyone. Really, King Arthur is the only major disaster of the summer. And (somehow), Guy Ritchie is on to remake a Disney classic. (When a female director can make that kind of recovery, we will know things have gotten better on the equality scale.)

The summer was blah. Wonder Woman was the only big positive surprise at the major studio level. Everything else was pre-packaged and carried great expectations that were mostly undelivered. But not disastrously. Even while Dunkirk could have gone terribly bad, it went well… but not well enough to be a great positive surprise worldwide (and worldwide grosses are the only grosses that matter).

Anyway… giving myself a headache… literally.

See you tomorrow. Go to the indie cinemas… terrific stuff out there.

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by The Dregs Of Summer Klady”

1. Stella's Boy says:

I wonder what Death Note would have made if it had been released in theaters this weekend. It’s too bad the movie is so terrible (SPOILERS follow). I have no familiarity with the source material but I look forward to whatever Wingard directs. It seemed like it would at least be a fun late-summer watch. It’s not even close to that. Light finds the book literally 30 seconds into the movie. The demon shows up a minute or two later. And then suddenly he’s Kira. I had whiplash trying to keep up. They gloss over everything that could have made for a compelling story. Who is this kid? How does he adjust to having this power? How does he decide who lives or dies? What qualifies him to make those choices? How doe he cope with killing people? There’s potential for an interesting horror flick there, and the filmmakers do nothing with it. An hour in I was bored silly. Doesn’t help that Wolff is really bland and not a good lead, and the romance is laughably stupid. The supporting cast is strong and there’s some decent gore, but on the whole it’s a really bad movie and a huge disappointment.

2. Eric says:

Has anyone seen T2 3D? Is it worth a trip to the theater?

3. EtGuild2 says:

This is guaranteed to be the slowest weekend since the weekend after Labor Day, 2014. I’m glad I looked this up, because that weekend featured an IMAX re-release of FOREST GUMP…

and my favorite, “holy shit what were they thinking and what drugs were they on” wide release of the last few years, the Elvis Presley pseudo twin movie that rewrites rock and roll history, and pretends that the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam were of secondary concern in late-Sixties America to Israel’s Six-Day War. THE IDENTICAL. As my beloved Dave White said “The truly memorable bad film, the kind you return to and urge like-minded friends to witness just so you can watch their jaws drop, is one in which each set-up of the camera, each line of dialogue, contains a fresh opportunity for the filmmakers to make the wildest of wrong choices.”

Labor Day and the weekends bookending it have featured some uniquely memorable film experiences for me that have been lacking the last couple years:

2014: The Identical
    2012: Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
    2009: All About Steve (given the reputations of Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper now, it’s one I’ve stumbled upon this multiple times and watched with bug-eyed disbelief on cable)
    2006: The Wicker Man

Hopefully Charlie Sheen restores order with 9/11 this year, without making me want to burn the theater down.

4. Dr Wally Rises says:

I’m trying to seek out T2 this week and the Close Encounters restoration on the big screen next week. Nostalgia sure beats contemplating the present.

5. Sideshow Bill says:

The girlfriend and I are going to see Wind River next Saturday, providing it’s still playing. I work this weekend. WR or Ingrid Goes West.

6. Movieman says:

When a female director can make that kind of recovery, we will know things have gotten better on the equality scale.

So true, and so very sad.

7. TrackerBacker says:

The top movie next weekend might only make $5-6M or so for the 3-day. Insane.

8. Michael Bergeron says:

all the theaters are closed in Houston until further notice … sad

9. leahnz says:

oops

Bulldog68 on: BYO Keanu

Mostly Lurking on: BYO Keanu

Stella's Boy on: BYO Keanu

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

Stella's Boy on: BYO Keanu

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

palmtree on: BYO Keanu

amblinman on: BYO Keanu

Bulldog68 on: BYO Keanu

palmtree on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott