Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BYO Good Taste

stripper

Quiet weekend for new movies in most of the country… What feature-length from the past year has recently popped up on video or streaming that everyone else ought to grab hold of? Or something amazing that hasn’t been available for a long time?

11 Responses to “BYO Good Taste”

1. Greg says:

The ‘Integral Cut’ on the new Arrow release of Re-Animator is excellent. I LOVE the new character interactions, especially Dr. Hill’s use of hypnotism. Looks great also.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

I’ve read about that cut, Greg. I have to get my paws on it. That’s one of my very favorite films ever.

My new girlfriend, who is awesome, like horror films but she’s not as well-versed in them as I am so I’ve been showing her some stuff. We watched Devil’s Candy last week and the other day I showed her The Void and Deathgasm. She didn’t much care for The Void –the lovecraftian shit went over her head– but she thought Deathgasm was a hoot. Which it is. I forgot how much fun it is.

This weekend we’re heading out to see Wind River, then I have some DVDs lined up including The Loved Ones. I think I should wait until we’re a bit further along in the relationship before I show her Martyrs, Inside or The Woman. Things are going to well right now 😉

3. Bob Burns says:

We’ve been viewing the oeuvre of Clayton Garrett I recommend the second act of his first beach movie. Good to know Hollywood can still make a musical.

4. spassky says:

“Little Hours” was a solid, albeit somewhat slight, version of the Bocaccio story. I have to admit having seen the Pasolini “Decameron” a few years ago and being particularly underwhelmed by this section, so glad to see it taken to it’s american-comedy sex farce extremes. An enjoyable 90 minutes at the theather. Made me go back and check out Jeff Baena’s other films. I particularly took to “Joshy” — lots of misdirection in the plotting, great characterizations, performances, and Bret Gelman is a scene-stealing comedy-goblin of epic proportions as always (can’t wait to see “Lemon”).

Tragically, I thought “Logan Lucky” was horrible and have been rethinking my admiration of Soderbergh as of late. His last honest-to-goodness good film was “Che” (and yes I understand and enjoy the flimsy pulp of “Side Effects” and “The Girlfriend Experience”), and I can’t get out of my head that he actually has nothing personal to say. He’s a master craftsmen, but in the end a journeyman, and a little too satisfied with himself in being so.

Sad I missed “Lady Macbeth” — anyone have thoughts?

I’m trying to remember a film I enjoyed (maybe not the right word for it) as much as I did “Good Time” in recent times… I certainly can’t shake the film, perhaps due to the fact that i can’t pinpoint any moment in the film that doesn’t jibe with the world it shows. Maybe “Neruda” achieved the same for me, but something like “Moonlight” that I loved has a lot of messy parts that on rewatch don’t really work (hey there act two). I feel like “Good Time” is the best crime film since “Un Prophete”… really really impressive, and am so excited for “Uncut Gems” and what the Safdies make in the future…

I was in the Aero last week and heard two mid-40s white collar types talking about “Good Time” and described it as a “kind of comedy and crime film” — that put a big smile on my face.

5. Christian Hamaker says:

There’s a new “Reanimator” cut? Hadn’t heard. I loved that movie when it came out and was convinced there was some hypnotism stuff in one of the VHS tapes I saw that wasn’t in another (I didn’t see the film during its theatrical run), but in those days I didn’t know how to research any possible differences (unless “Fangoria” told me about them). I now wonder if there were various cuts out there. I do have a laserdisc of the film that I haven’t watched in years.

6. PcChongor says:

It’s a bit difficult to get a hold of, but I just saw a digital copy of 1966’s “The Crazy-Quilt,” and it’s easily the best least-known American film of the 1960s. Absolutely mind-boggling that it’s so forgotten.

7. Ray Pride says:

Here’s John Korty on his Crazy-Quilt. Korty also published nine minutes of the film on YouTube here.

8. Aaron Aradillas says:

Anyone know which cut of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is being issued this weekend to theaters? Is it the original ’77 cut, the ’80 Special Edition, or the ’98 laserdisc/DVD cut?

9. Ray Pride says:

The version that is being re-released theatrically is the final 1997 director’s cut, which is a re-edit of the 1977 version as well as some elements from the 1980 special edition, although it omits scenes inside the mothership, which Spielberg introduced in the 1980 version but later decided were a mistake.”

10. greg says:

If you didn’t see The Gift with Jason Bateman please watch it. Now.

11. PJ says:

Saw Colossal a little while ago. That one snuck up on me. Great film.

“One of comedy’s defining pathologies, alongside literal pathologies like narcissism and self-loathing, is its swaggering certainty that it is part of the political vanguard, while upholding one of the most rigidly patriarchal hierarchies of any art form.”
~ Lindy West

“When I was first divorced, I started dating younger women, and it was really exciting. But after a while I was like, This is just dumb. You date someone younger and it’s… limited. There’s no future in it. And as far as just going out and getting laid, that kinda got tired for me very quickly. It’s just—it’s very intimate. You’re letting her right into the middle of your life. You see someone and you’re like, She’s really hot, I want to be naked with her. And then you’re naked with her and you’re like, Jesus, she’s in my —-ing room and we’re naked. The idea of that—of just —-ing somebody—became silly to me.”
~ Louis C. K. To GQ, 2011