Friday Estimates by Klady: Creation

Friday Estimates 2017-08-12 at 9.09.48 AM
Meh.

It’s been an uninspired summer and this is an appropriately uninspired weekend to close it out.

Annabelle: Creation will win easily. As The Conjuring 2 opened to within $1.5 million of The Conjuring, Annabelle 2 looks like it will open within $1.5 million of Annabelle.

With Dunkirk holding strong at #2, this is the first time in at least a decade (I stopped my research with 2007) in which WB has had the #1 and #2 movie on a weekend.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature could crack $10 million, but won’t come close to the surprise success of The Nut Job.

If The Dark Tower opened bigger, a 62% second Friday drop wouldn’t be bad. But…

Girls Trip is slowing, but still pushing along to $100 million sometime in the next five or six days.

Spider-Man: Homecoming passes $300 million domestic, which neither Amazing Spider-Man movie did, but it is lagging behind both ASMs worldwide. Worldwide will likely pass ASM2 worldwide, but not ASM.

The Glass Castle tiptoed out and will do about $3k per screen on 1,461.

Detroit, in its second weekend, starts the weekend out of the Top 10, likely to gross less than $4 million for the 3-day.

Ingrid Goes West and Good Time roll out well in exclusives, with Good making a little more on four but with Ingrid doing a better per-screen on three.

14 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Creation”

1. Dr Wally Rises says:

The highest grossing WW2 movie is Saving Private Ryan with $216 million, and I don’t think Ryan’s crown is entirely safe from Dunkirk at this point. The last three years (Guardians 1, Rogue Nation and Suicide Squad) have seen the last hit of the Summer stick around for a while.And Dunkirk has IMAX screens all to itself until Kingsman, which is another six weeks away.

2. Big G says:

So glad the “can Wonder Woman make it to $400 million” comments can end. I never thought it was in doubt.

3. EtGuild2 says:

I am happy for people who always knew a summer superhero flick would have the best multiplier of any Top 100 opener. I am not so wizened obviously. But now! Can it beat CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR and IRON MAN 3??? I think it can! Fight, fight, fight.

A big moment for canine masturbation with the good rollout for GOOD TIME :p

David do you have some inside info that HOMECOMING is getting reamed with Chinese and Japanese audiences? Because it would have to be wayyyyy down from ASM1 and 2 to miss topping ASM1 worldwide at this point.

WOLF WARRIOR 2 is the actual big story of the week.

4. Bulldog68 says:

Pie in the sky dream for sure, but I sincerely wish Hitman’s Bodyguard is good and can pull a Rush Hour to end the summer on a high note.

My hopes for Dark Tower was completely dashed.

5. TrackerBacker says:

“Ingrid Goes West and The Only Living Boy in New York both roll out well in exclusives, with Boy making a little more on four but with Ingrid doing a better per-screen on three.”

You appear to have swapped out Good Time for Only Living Boy. Only Living Boy is tanking.

6. Ray Pride says:

[ED.: Thanks!]

7. Big G says:

Et, I meant I never doubted it once it got over the $390 million mark. When it was at $393 million someone here said it MIGHT make it to $400 million around Labor Day and here it is at $400 million four weekend before that.

8. PcChongor says:

Three big cheers for “Good Time”!

9. palmtree says:

I called Wonder Woman’s 400 back on June 25th on this blog. Seemed pie in the sky at the time. If only I had placed some bets on it…

10. EtGuild2 says:

Heather called it opening weekend, but I agree it’s impressive. It’s like the people who picked Trump to win the General Election before the Iowa Caucasus.

I’m confused as to why the DVD is dropping pre-Labor Day. Seems like maybe no re-release?

11. Bulldog68 says:

I also felt the WW DVD is being released a bit early. GotG2 DVD release date is Aug 22 and it’s theatrical release was almost a full four weeks before WW.

12. palmtree says:

Okay, Heather wins.

They can still do a re-release after the DVD drops. I feel like WW fans aren’t your typical moviegoer. They will re-watch it at the theater because they like it, not just because they can’t see it at home.

And again if WB goes after Oscar recognition, WW would have a chance to become the #5 superhero movie ever. What?!?!

13. EtGuild2 says:

As long as it gets the re-release it doesn’t necessarily need that…it’s well ahead of HUNGER GAMES. Interested in seeing if the national princess obsession in Japan will be enough for it to cross over and hold off WOLF WARRIOR 2 and HOMECOMING on the summer chart.

14. leahnz says:

is this the ‘i told you so’ thread

you have so little time left you in such danger girl, so many people tried to warn you of the obvious fascism of hateful bigots and were pooh-poohed, pull your heads out of your asses before its too late. history repeats, learn from the past, for the sake of everyone

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

“I suddenly couldn’t say anything about some of the movies. They were just so terrible, and I’d already written about so many terrible movies. I love writing about movies when I can discover something in them – when I can get something out of them that I can share with people. The week I quit, I hadn’t planned on it. But I wrote up a couple of movies, and I read what I’d written, and it was just incredibly depressing. I thought, I’ve got nothing to share from this. One of them was of that movie with Woody Allen and Bette Midler, Scenes From a Mall. I couldn’t write another bad review of Bette Midler. I thought she was so brilliant, and when I saw her in that terrible production of ‘Gypsy’ on television, my heart sank. And I’d already panned her in Beaches. How can you go on panning people in picture after picture when you know they were great just a few years before? You have so much emotional investment in praising people that when you have to pan the same people a few years later, it tears your spirits apart.”
~ Pauline Kael On Quitting

“My father was a Jerome. My daughter’s middle name is Jerome. But my most vexing and vexed relationship with a Jerome was with Jerome Levitch, the subject of my first book under his stage and screen name, Jerry Lewis.

I have a lot of strong and complex feelings about the man, who passed away today in Las Vegas at age 91. Suffice to say he was a brilliant talent, an immense humanitarian, a difficult boss/interview, and a quixotic sort of genius, as often inspired as insipid, as often tender as caustic.

I wrote all about it in my 1996 book, “King of Comedy,” which is available on Kindle. With all due humility, it’s kinda definitive — the good and the bad — even though it’s two decades old. My favorite review, and one I begged St. Martin’s (unsuccessfully) to put on the paperback jacket, came from “Screw” magazine, which called it “A remarkably fair portrait of a great American asshole.”

Jerry and I met twice while I was working on the book and spoke/wrote to each other perhaps a dozen times. Like many of his relationships with the press and his partners/subordinates, it ended badly, with Jerry hollering profanities at me in the cabin of his yacht in San Diego. I wrote about it in the epilogue to my book, and over the years I’ve had the scene quoted back to me by Steve Martin, Harry Shearer, Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette. Tom Hanks once told me that he had a dinner with Paul Reiser and Martin Short at which Short spent the night imitating Jerry throwing me off the boat.

Jerry was a lot of things: father, husband, chum, businessman, philanthropist, artist, innovator, clown, tyrant. He was at various times in his life the highest-ever-paid performer on TV, in movies, and on Broadway. He raised BILLIONS for charity, invented filmmaking techniques, made perhaps a dozen classic comedies, turned in a terrific dramatic performance in Martin Scorsese’s “The King of Comedy,” and left the world altered and even enhanced with his time and his work in it.

That’s an estimable achievement and one worth pausing to commemorate.

#RIP to Le Roi du Crazy