Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BYOExpectations

PoopAugust movies usually stink. But this month there are strong titles, Detroit is followed by at least three that should find diverse audiences: Lucky LoganWind River, Good Time, An Inconvenient Sequel(And yes, Dark Tower.) What movies are going to be good? Could Kidnap be a short, sharp B-movie?

16 Responses to “BYOExpectations”

1. Pete B says:

Pilgrimage that’s in limited release August 11th looks like it has potential.

Then again I’m a sucker for bloody medieval flicks.

2. PcChongor says:

“Good Time” blew me away. Haven’t had that much fun watching a crime film since I first saw “Dog Day Afternoon.”

3. leahnz says:

is this real life

4. Ray Pride says:

No expectation that it is!

5. hcat says:

How many reviews of emoji movie are just going to be the shit emoji over and over and over.

6. palmtree says:

A journalist friend of mine received a press release for this movie citing the importance of irritable bowel syndrome. This is “real.”

Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?

7. Movieman says:

“Logan Lucky,” “Detroit” and “The Glass Castle” are the three wide August releases I’m genuinely excited about.
    Not sure just how wide A24 and Weinstein are planning to take “Good Time” or “Wind River,” but they’re both clearly “must see” movies for me.
    “Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “Dark Tower” look super iffy. Hoping for the best, though.
    The rest? “Nut Job 2″? “Annabelle 2″? Etc.? Ick.

P.S.= Hard to believe Weinstein is really opening four movies next month (including the long-delayed “Tulip Fever”). They’ve been on life support since “Hateful Eight” underperformed. Not even the moderate success of “Lion” could help them turn the corner.

P.P.S.= “Glass Castle” IS a wide release, right?

8. Movieman says:

Super-excited to hear that Fox is moving up Aronofsky’s “mother!” to September 15th.
    But doesn’t it seem, uh, strange that not a single trailer has surfaced yet?

9. spassky says:

I saw the teaser of “Mother”(with no footage) in a theater last week.

My guess is that the film will be so off-putting to jennifer lawrence fangirls that they don’t really want to show footage. Take a 20 milllion+ opening weekend and swallow the F cinemascore.

10. Sideshow Bill says:

I hope Emoji Movie dies a quick, violent death.

Really looking forward to Wind River and Good Time, if they go wide enough to reach me. I will see Detroit next Friday, no fail. Bigelow is essential.

The Dark Tower…someone at work was trying to convince me that it’s going to be good but the trailers look generic. I’ve never read the books though I have the first one on my Nook (yes, I still use a Nook. Fight me.) That movie is a wait and see.

As a horror fan I’m encouraged by early responses to Annabelle 2. I not a huge fan of Wan-inverse but it may be fun matinee with my daughters.

But all things considered I’m ready for Autumn movies. Summer kinda ends for me in late July and the Dolphins open camp. I’m ready for football and grown up movies.

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Why is no one mentioning American Made? Did it get moved? I thought the trailer looked terrific. Doug Liman has made a career out of being underestimated so this could spring a real surprise.

12. Ray Pride says:

September 29 is the listed release date for American Made.

13. hcat says:

I have the highest of hopes for American Made and loved the trailer as well. Loved the tempo and energy of Edge of Tomorrow but thought it fumbled the emotional payoff, worried that this might do the same but still have it high on the fall list.

Not sure about its commercial prospects, even during his years as a bulletproof box office property Cruise’s Universal films were underperformers. Oblivion and Mummy aren’t reassuring that they have been able to break that streak.

14. Ray Pride says:

THE WALL is terse and bitter, but it’s a jolt of Liman.

15. Stella's Boy says:

I don’t buy the early Annabelle 2 responses at all. Something similar happened with Ouija 2. All those enthusiastic reviews for what turned out to be a really bad and generic horror movie. I have a feeling Annabelle 2 will be the same. The trailer is terrible. All the usual horror trailer tropes and nothing interesting.

Very excited for Detroit, Logan Lucky, and Wind River. The Glass Castle looks promising. Hitman’s Bodyguard could be dumb fun. What’s The Adventurers? BOM has it as a wide release.

16. leahnz says:

“Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?”

it’s bloody terrifying

“The sad and painful truth is that pretty much everyone in this town knew who Harvey was. I have had long talks with my most liberal friends. Did we know he was a rapist? We didn’t. But did we know that for decades he has been offering actresses big careers in exchange for sexual favors? Yes, we did — and make no mistake, that is its own kind of rape. And did we all — or did any of us — refuse to do business with him on moral grounds? No. We ALL STAYED IN BUSINESS WITH HIM. I have never done business with Harvey but I can tell you with certainty that I would have — because I was recently approached by a film festival he sponsors. They asked me to submit my short film for their consideration and I did it without thinking twice. I am a dyed-in-the-wool feminist and a vocal one at that. So why didn’t I think twice? Because this entire town is built on the ugly principals that Harvey takes to an horrific extreme. If I didn’t work with people whose behavior I find reprehensible, I wouldn’t have a career.”
~ Showrunner Krista Vernoff

From AMPAS president John Bailey:

Dear Fellow Academy Members,

Danish director Carl Dreyer’s 1928 film “The Passion of Joan of Arc” is not only one of the visual landmarks of the silent era, but is a deeply disturbing portrait of a young woman’s persecution in the face of the male judges and priests of the ruling order. The actress Maria Falconetti gave one of the most profoundly affecting performances in the history of cinema as the Maid of Orleans.

Since the decision of the Academy’s Board of Governors on Saturday October 14 to expel producer Harvey Weinstein from its membership, I have been haunted not only by the recurring image of Falconetti and the sad arc of her career (dying in Argentina in 1946, reputedly from a crash diet) but of Joan’s refusal to submit to an auto de fe recantation of her beliefs.

Recent public testimonies by some of filmdom’s most recognized women regarding sexual intimidation, predation, and physical force is, clearly, a turning point in the film industry—and hopefully in our country, where what happens in the world of movies becomes a marker of societal Zeitgeist. Their decision to stand up against a powerful, abusive male not only parallels the cinema courage of Falconetti’s Joan but gives all women courage to speak up.

After Saturday’s Board of Governors meeting, the Academy issued a passionately worded statement, expressing not only our concern about harassment in the film industry, but our intention to be a strong voice in changing the culture of sexual exploitation in the movie business, already common well before the founding of the Academy 90 years ago. It is up to all of us Academy members to more clearly define for ourselves the parameters of proper conduct, of sexual equality, and respect for our fellow artists throughout our industry. The Academy cannot, and will not, be an inquisitorial court, but we can be part of a larger initiative to define standards of behavior, and to support the vulnerable women and men who may be at personal and career risk because of violations of ethical standards by their peers.

Yours,