Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BYOExpectations

PoopAugust movies usually stink. But this month there are strong titles, Detroit is followed by at least three that should find diverse audiences: Lucky LoganWind River, Good Time, An Inconvenient Sequel(And yes, Dark Tower.) What movies are going to be good? Could Kidnap be a short, sharp B-movie?

16 Responses to “BYOExpectations”

1. Pete B says:

Pilgrimage that’s in limited release August 11th looks like it has potential.

Then again I’m a sucker for bloody medieval flicks.

2. PcChongor says:

“Good Time” blew me away. Haven’t had that much fun watching a crime film since I first saw “Dog Day Afternoon.”

3. leahnz says:

is this real life

4. Ray Pride says:

No expectation that it is!

5. hcat says:

How many reviews of emoji movie are just going to be the shit emoji over and over and over.

6. palmtree says:

A journalist friend of mine received a press release for this movie citing the importance of irritable bowel syndrome. This is “real.”

Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?

7. Movieman says:

“Logan Lucky,” “Detroit” and “The Glass Castle” are the three wide August releases I’m genuinely excited about.
    Not sure just how wide A24 and Weinstein are planning to take “Good Time” or “Wind River,” but they’re both clearly “must see” movies for me.
    “Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “Dark Tower” look super iffy. Hoping for the best, though.
    The rest? “Nut Job 2″? “Annabelle 2″? Etc.? Ick.

P.S.= Hard to believe Weinstein is really opening four movies next month (including the long-delayed “Tulip Fever”). They’ve been on life support since “Hateful Eight” underperformed. Not even the moderate success of “Lion” could help them turn the corner.

P.P.S.= “Glass Castle” IS a wide release, right?

8. Movieman says:

Super-excited to hear that Fox is moving up Aronofsky’s “mother!” to September 15th.
    But doesn’t it seem, uh, strange that not a single trailer has surfaced yet?

9. spassky says:

I saw the teaser of “Mother”(with no footage) in a theater last week.

My guess is that the film will be so off-putting to jennifer lawrence fangirls that they don’t really want to show footage. Take a 20 milllion+ opening weekend and swallow the F cinemascore.

10. Sideshow Bill says:

I hope Emoji Movie dies a quick, violent death.

Really looking forward to Wind River and Good Time, if they go wide enough to reach me. I will see Detroit next Friday, no fail. Bigelow is essential.

The Dark Tower…someone at work was trying to convince me that it’s going to be good but the trailers look generic. I’ve never read the books though I have the first one on my Nook (yes, I still use a Nook. Fight me.) That movie is a wait and see.

As a horror fan I’m encouraged by early responses to Annabelle 2. I not a huge fan of Wan-inverse but it may be fun matinee with my daughters.

But all things considered I’m ready for Autumn movies. Summer kinda ends for me in late July and the Dolphins open camp. I’m ready for football and grown up movies.

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Why is no one mentioning American Made? Did it get moved? I thought the trailer looked terrific. Doug Liman has made a career out of being underestimated so this could spring a real surprise.

12. Ray Pride says:

September 29 is the listed release date for American Made.

13. hcat says:

I have the highest of hopes for American Made and loved the trailer as well. Loved the tempo and energy of Edge of Tomorrow but thought it fumbled the emotional payoff, worried that this might do the same but still have it high on the fall list.

Not sure about its commercial prospects, even during his years as a bulletproof box office property Cruise’s Universal films were underperformers. Oblivion and Mummy aren’t reassuring that they have been able to break that streak.

14. Ray Pride says:

THE WALL is terse and bitter, but it’s a jolt of Liman.

15. Stella's Boy says:

I don’t buy the early Annabelle 2 responses at all. Something similar happened with Ouija 2. All those enthusiastic reviews for what turned out to be a really bad and generic horror movie. I have a feeling Annabelle 2 will be the same. The trailer is terrible. All the usual horror trailer tropes and nothing interesting.

Very excited for Detroit, Logan Lucky, and Wind River. The Glass Castle looks promising. Hitman’s Bodyguard could be dumb fun. What’s The Adventurers? BOM has it as a wide release.

16. leahnz says:

“Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?”

it’s bloody terrifying

“Don’t work with assholes. Ever. No matter what they’re offering, no matter what they bring to the table. If they’re the sort of person where the phone rings at 10 o’clock at night and you wince because you see that it’s them, then don’t do business with them. One asshole will ruin your life. I’ve managed my entire TV and filmmaking career to work with people I like and respect. If the point comes where I don’t like or respect someone, I don’t work with them anymore.”

– Anthony Bourdain

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh