Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BYOExpectations

PoopAugust movies usually stink. But this month there are strong titles, Detroit is followed by at least three that should find diverse audiences: Lucky LoganWind River, Good Time, An Inconvenient Sequel(And yes, Dark Tower.) What movies are going to be good? Could Kidnap be a short, sharp B-movie?

16 Responses to “BYOExpectations”

1. Pete B says:

Pilgrimage that’s in limited release August 11th looks like it has potential.

Then again I’m a sucker for bloody medieval flicks.

2. PcChongor says:

“Good Time” blew me away. Haven’t had that much fun watching a crime film since I first saw “Dog Day Afternoon.”

3. leahnz says:

is this real life

4. Ray Pride says:

No expectation that it is!

5. hcat says:

How many reviews of emoji movie are just going to be the shit emoji over and over and over.

6. palmtree says:

A journalist friend of mine received a press release for this movie citing the importance of irritable bowel syndrome. This is “real.”

Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?

7. Movieman says:

“Logan Lucky,” “Detroit” and “The Glass Castle” are the three wide August releases I’m genuinely excited about.
    Not sure just how wide A24 and Weinstein are planning to take “Good Time” or “Wind River,” but they’re both clearly “must see” movies for me.
    “Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “Dark Tower” look super iffy. Hoping for the best, though.
    The rest? “Nut Job 2″? “Annabelle 2″? Etc.? Ick.

P.S.= Hard to believe Weinstein is really opening four movies next month (including the long-delayed “Tulip Fever”). They’ve been on life support since “Hateful Eight” underperformed. Not even the moderate success of “Lion” could help them turn the corner.

P.P.S.= “Glass Castle” IS a wide release, right?

8. Movieman says:

Super-excited to hear that Fox is moving up Aronofsky’s “mother!” to September 15th.
    But doesn’t it seem, uh, strange that not a single trailer has surfaced yet?

9. spassky says:

I saw the teaser of “Mother”(with no footage) in a theater last week.

My guess is that the film will be so off-putting to jennifer lawrence fangirls that they don’t really want to show footage. Take a 20 milllion+ opening weekend and swallow the F cinemascore.

10. Sideshow Bill says:

I hope Emoji Movie dies a quick, violent death.

Really looking forward to Wind River and Good Time, if they go wide enough to reach me. I will see Detroit next Friday, no fail. Bigelow is essential.

The Dark Tower…someone at work was trying to convince me that it’s going to be good but the trailers look generic. I’ve never read the books though I have the first one on my Nook (yes, I still use a Nook. Fight me.) That movie is a wait and see.

As a horror fan I’m encouraged by early responses to Annabelle 2. I not a huge fan of Wan-inverse but it may be fun matinee with my daughters.

But all things considered I’m ready for Autumn movies. Summer kinda ends for me in late July and the Dolphins open camp. I’m ready for football and grown up movies.

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Why is no one mentioning American Made? Did it get moved? I thought the trailer looked terrific. Doug Liman has made a career out of being underestimated so this could spring a real surprise.

12. Ray Pride says:

September 29 is the listed release date for American Made.

13. hcat says:

I have the highest of hopes for American Made and loved the trailer as well. Loved the tempo and energy of Edge of Tomorrow but thought it fumbled the emotional payoff, worried that this might do the same but still have it high on the fall list.

Not sure about its commercial prospects, even during his years as a bulletproof box office property Cruise’s Universal films were underperformers. Oblivion and Mummy aren’t reassuring that they have been able to break that streak.

14. Ray Pride says:

THE WALL is terse and bitter, but it’s a jolt of Liman.

15. Stella's Boy says:

I don’t buy the early Annabelle 2 responses at all. Something similar happened with Ouija 2. All those enthusiastic reviews for what turned out to be a really bad and generic horror movie. I have a feeling Annabelle 2 will be the same. The trailer is terrible. All the usual horror trailer tropes and nothing interesting.

Very excited for Detroit, Logan Lucky, and Wind River. The Glass Castle looks promising. Hitman’s Bodyguard could be dumb fun. What’s The Adventurers? BOM has it as a wide release.

16. leahnz says:

“Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?”

it’s bloody terrifying

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

movieman on: BYO Keanu

Sideshow Bill on: BYO Keanu

Triple Option on: BYO Keanu

Triple Option on: BYO Keanu

leahnz on: BYO Summertime Blues

movieman on: BYO Keanu

Serg on: BYO Keanu

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

BO Sock Puppet on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott