Ray Pride

By Ray Pride

PoopAugust movies usually stink. But this month there are strong titles, Detroit is followed by at least three that should find diverse audiences: Lucky LoganWind River, Good Time, An Inconvenient Sequel(And yes, Dark Tower.) What movies are going to be good? Could Kidnap be a short, sharp B-movie?

16 Responses to “BYOExpectations”

1. Pete B says:

Pilgrimage that’s in limited release August 11th looks like it has potential.

Then again I’m a sucker for bloody medieval flicks.

2. PcChongor says:

“Good Time” blew me away. Haven’t had that much fun watching a crime film since I first saw “Dog Day Afternoon.”

3. leahnz says:

is this real life

4. Ray Pride says:

No expectation that it is!

5. hcat says:

How many reviews of emoji movie are just going to be the shit emoji over and over and over.

6. palmtree says:

A journalist friend of mine received a press release for this movie citing the importance of irritable bowel syndrome. This is “real.”

Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?

7. Movieman says:

“Logan Lucky,” “Detroit” and “The Glass Castle” are the three wide August releases I’m genuinely excited about.
    Not sure just how wide A24 and Weinstein are planning to take “Good Time” or “Wind River,” but they’re both clearly “must see” movies for me.
    “Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “Dark Tower” look super iffy. Hoping for the best, though.
    The rest? “Nut Job 2″? “Annabelle 2″? Etc.? Ick.

P.S.= Hard to believe Weinstein is really opening four movies next month (including the long-delayed “Tulip Fever”). They’ve been on life support since “Hateful Eight” underperformed. Not even the moderate success of “Lion” could help them turn the corner.

P.P.S.= “Glass Castle” IS a wide release, right?

8. Movieman says:

Super-excited to hear that Fox is moving up Aronofsky’s “mother!” to September 15th.
    But doesn’t it seem, uh, strange that not a single trailer has surfaced yet?

9. spassky says:

I saw the teaser of “Mother”(with no footage) in a theater last week.

My guess is that the film will be so off-putting to jennifer lawrence fangirls that they don’t really want to show footage. Take a 20 milllion+ opening weekend and swallow the F cinemascore.

10. Sideshow Bill says:

I hope Emoji Movie dies a quick, violent death.

Really looking forward to Wind River and Good Time, if they go wide enough to reach me. I will see Detroit next Friday, no fail. Bigelow is essential.

The Dark Tower…someone at work was trying to convince me that it’s going to be good but the trailers look generic. I’ve never read the books though I have the first one on my Nook (yes, I still use a Nook. Fight me.) That movie is a wait and see.

As a horror fan I’m encouraged by early responses to Annabelle 2. I not a huge fan of Wan-inverse but it may be fun matinee with my daughters.

But all things considered I’m ready for Autumn movies. Summer kinda ends for me in late July and the Dolphins open camp. I’m ready for football and grown up movies.

11. Dr Wally Rises says:

Why is no one mentioning American Made? Did it get moved? I thought the trailer looked terrific. Doug Liman has made a career out of being underestimated so this could spring a real surprise.

12. Ray Pride says:

September 29 is the listed release date for American Made.

13. hcat says:

I have the highest of hopes for American Made and loved the trailer as well. Loved the tempo and energy of Edge of Tomorrow but thought it fumbled the emotional payoff, worried that this might do the same but still have it high on the fall list.

Not sure about its commercial prospects, even during his years as a bulletproof box office property Cruise’s Universal films were underperformers. Oblivion and Mummy aren’t reassuring that they have been able to break that streak.

14. Ray Pride says:

THE WALL is terse and bitter, but it’s a jolt of Liman.

15. Stella's Boy says:

I don’t buy the early Annabelle 2 responses at all. Something similar happened with Ouija 2. All those enthusiastic reviews for what turned out to be a really bad and generic horror movie. I have a feeling Annabelle 2 will be the same. The trailer is terrible. All the usual horror trailer tropes and nothing interesting.

Very excited for Detroit, Logan Lucky, and Wind River. The Glass Castle looks promising. Hitman’s Bodyguard could be dumb fun. What’s The Adventurers? BOM has it as a wide release.

16. leahnz says:

“Leah, don’t you know we’re living in a simulation?”

it’s bloody terrifying

Stella's Boy on: Weekend Estimates

JSPartisan on: Weekend Estimates

leahnz on: Weekend Estimates

brack on: Weekend Estimates

Spassky on: Weekend Estimates

Bulldog on: Weekend Estimates

Hcat on: Weekend Estimates

Bulldog on: Weekend Estimates

Bulldog on: Weekend Estimates

Hcat on: Weekend Estimates

“I think [technology has[ its made my life faster, it’s made the ability to succeed easier. But has that made my life better? Is it better now than it was in the eighties or seventies? I don’t think we are happier. Maybe because I’m 55, I really am asking these questions… I really want to do meaningful things! This is also the time that I really want to focus on directing. I think that I will act less and less. I’ve been doing it for 52 years. It’s a long time to do one thing and I feel like there are a lot of stories that I got out of my system that I don’t need to tell anymore. I don’t need to ever do The Accused again! That is never going to happen again! You hit these milestones as an actor, and then you say, ‘Now what? Now what do I have to say?'”
~ Jodie Foster

“If there’s one rule Hollywood has metaphysically proven in its century of experimentation, it’s that there’s no amount of money you can’t squander in the quest for hits.

“Netflix has spent the past couple years attempting to brute-force jailbreak this law. Its counter-theory has seemed to be, sure, a billion dollars doesn’t guarantee quality but how about three billion dollars? How about five billion dollars? Seven?

“This week’s latest cinematic opus to run across no-man’s-land into the machine-gun emplacements has been the Jared Leto yakuza movie ‘The Outsider.’ Once again, debuting on Netflix, another thing called a movie that at one glance doesn’t look like any kind of movie anyone has ever seen before, outside of off-prime time screenings at the AFM.

“If you’re working at a normal studio, you have one or two of these total misfires in a year and people start calling for your head. How many is Netflix going on? Fifteen? Twenty? This quarter? Any normal company would be getting murdered over results like that.”
~ Richard Rushfield