Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

“Twin Peaks” SPOILER Zone

Anyone reading write-ups of the episodes now that six of eighteen episodes are out in the world? What are the best theories? What are the things that should never get explained? Elements of Eraserhead, pieces of Lynch’s never-produced “Ronnie Rocket” screenplay and outtakes from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me have echoed into the unfurling narrative. Does Lynch’s one-minute Lumière tribute short, Premonitions Following an Evil Deed, tell us anything?

11 Responses to ““Twin Peaks” SPOILER Zone”

1. YancySkancy says:

I can’t contribute anything much to a discussion, because I’ve seen only the first two episodes, which Hulu briefly made available, and I have no idea when I’ll be able to watch the rest (not particularly interested in ponying up for Showtime at the moment). But I will say I enjoyed the hell out of those two. Lynch never apologizes, never explains, and his dreamlike, WTF aesthetic is clearly not to all tastes, but I prefer it to all these other recent WTF shows, such as Legion, The OA, The Leftovers, etc. For one thing, Lynch’s shtick is often laugh-out-loud hilarious, and his images and sound work are indelible. But I suspect any search for “meaning” will be more or less fruitless. The trick is not minding.

2. PTA Fluffer says:

At its most basic level of interpretation, TP offers a gnostic view of the world, one in which energetic beings like Archons (the Black Lodge crowd) not only feed off the pain and sorrow that humans experience, but actively seek it. Anything else is just window dressing on that basic thematic idea.

As for the show itself, it continues through six episodes to offer one of the most bizarre, disturbing, and hypnotic “movie” experiences I’ve had since… the last David Lynch movie. Word to the wise: episode six should carry a trigger warning for parents of small children. Just sayin’. Very disturbing stuff.

3. Sideshow Bill says:

I’ve found it absolutely thrilling. It’s Lynch without a net. I will admit that I’m beginning to get a bit frustrated with the Dougie Jones stuff but frustration has always been an essential part of Lynch’s work. It wouldn’t be whole without it. I love the expansion of the world beyond the town of Twin Peaks. I loved seeing Harry Dean Stanton’s amazing face. It’s been a hell of a thing to watch so far and hope it maintains.

4. Movieman says:

Agree w/ Bill.
    I’d lie if I told you I knew exactly what was going on. But, truth be told, I don’t really care.
    It’s like spending an hour in David Lynch’s brain every Sunday night and I’m loving it.
    Doubtful that a theatrical release this year will give me as much intense pleasure.
    Does anyone know whether Showtime plans on running the entire 18 hours this year?

5. Sideshow Bill says:

Movieman, as far as I know all 18 hours are running this straight through this Summer. An 18 hour David Lynch movie is a great way to make up for a crappy movie Summer so far.

6. Mostly Lurking says:

Guess I’ll be the lone voice of dissent. I really enjoyed the first two episodes, mostly enjoyed episodes three and four, but have found parts five and six to be fairly tedious. I have no problem with slow moving (and agree it is par for the course with Lynch), but I find myself downright bored with the Dougie material and it has to make up a good 50% of the the past two episodes.

Spoilers follow: For now I am reserving judgment on what I think of what appears to be the senseless and gratuitous on screen death of a young child. I’m generally not very squeamish, but I have to admit my initial reaction was repulsion because, not to be repetitive, but as of now it seems gratuitous.

7. leahnz says:

i really want to see this, but i don’t have the channel it’s on and missed the free eps (hopefully it’ll be available to stream or something soon; the prospect of new lynch makes me anxious for some reason, nervous)

8. Movieman says:

Good to know, Bill.
    I was wondering if that was the plan since everyone (AMC and HBO are the biggest champions of this trend) seems to love splitting a finite # of episodes into multiple “seasons” these days.

9. Sideshow Bill says:

Mostly Lurking, I agree it was disturbing but I personally didn’t find it “repulsive” or offensive. I mean I am ALWAYS affected when a child dies on screen. It’s rough territory to enter. But what Lynch did, I think, isn’t very different from when John Carpenter shot that little girl in Assault On Precinct 13. It wasn’t played for a joke or a laugh. It was pretty harrowing and i think it was meant to be. That’s my take any way.

10. Mostly Lurking says:

Sideshow, I see what you’re saying, which is why I qualified my comment with “as of now”. Because I view this as an eighteen hour movie, I’m reserving final judgment until I can view the work in its entirety. However my initial reaction was negative because although you might be right that it will turn out it’s meant to be or serves a greater purpose in the overall story than if the victim had been older, nothing had been done up to that point to allow me to look back and say, yeah, that was tough to watch but it makes sense and I can see why he did that.

11. Sideshow Bill says:

I see what you’re getting at. And I agree. We’re watching an 18-hour David Lynch movie. It’s going to be weeks before we get a handle on what it is.

“So, what does it look like when he leaves the show? First, it looks like a ratings spike, and I had a nice chuckle about that. But the truth is, the ink wasn’t even dry on his exit papers before they rushed in a new guy. I was on vacation in Sicily, decompressing — it was a long working relationship and it was a tumultuous end and I needed a moment to just chill with some rosé — and they’re calling me, going, ‘What do you think of this guy?’ ‘What do you think of this guy?’ And they’re sending pictures. I was like, ‘Are you people fucking nuts? Why do you feel that you have to replace this person?’ I couldn’t believe how fast the studio and the network felt like they had to get a penis in there.”
Ellen Pompeo

“I am, as you indicate, no stranger as a novelist to the erotic furies. Men enveloped by sexual temptation is one of the aspects of men’s lives that I’ve written about in some of my books. Men responsive to the insistent call of sexual pleasure, beset by shameful desires and the undauntedness of obsessive lusts, beguiled even by the lure of the taboo — over the decades, I have imagined a small coterie of unsettled men possessed by just such inflammatory forces they must negotiate and contend with. I’ve tried to be uncompromising in depicting these men each as he is, each as he behaves, aroused, stimulated, hungry in the grip of carnal fervor and facing the array of psychological and ethical quandaries the exigencies of desire present. I haven’t shunned the hard facts in these fictions of why and how and when tumescent men do what they do, even when these have not been in harmony with the portrayal that a masculine public-relations campaign — if there were such a thing — might prefer. I’ve stepped not just inside the male head but into the reality of those urges whose obstinate pressure by its persistence can menace one’s rationality, urges sometimes so intense they may even be experienced as a form of lunacy. Consequently, none of the more extreme conduct I have been reading about in the newspapers lately has astonished me.”
~ Philip Roth