Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

Trailering Soderbergh’s Semi-Self-Distributed LOGAN LUCKY

7 Responses to “Trailering Soderbergh’s Semi-Self-Distributed LOGAN LUCKY”

1. Movieman says:

No studio wanted to take this on?
    Seriously??
    Looks delightful, and any movie w/ Katherine Waterston, Riley Keough (bow) and Adam Driver is A O.K. in my book.
    Not to mention it marks the “return” of Soderbergh.

2. Ray Pride says:

Soderbergh has gone from self-financing to self-distributing, down to recruiting a key collaborator on the release of Magic Mike: “Soderbergh formed film distributor Fingerprint with Dan Fellman, former President of Domestic Distribution for Warner Bros., with Amazon providing strategic P&A financing to augment the marketing of Fingerprint’s theatrical releases “The deal with Amazon is the final, crucial piece of the puzzle,” says Soderbergh. “The scale of this endeavor required a fearless, flexible co-conspirator, and Amazon has shown they have the appetite and vision to help us navigate these semi-unchartered waters. I’m both relieved and excited, which is one of my favorite states of being.”

3. greg says:

that looks great.. absolutely shitty title, but great trailer

4. Js partisan says:

Yeah. Like I mentioned in the box office thread, Executives need to fucking take chances again, and that they passed on this? Demonstrates, how the MSCU, has scared these people into stupid, stupid decisions.

5. J says:

What makes everyone think that the studios passed on this? I know they’re an easy whipping boy, but doesn’t seem logical.

What seems more likely is that Soderbergh is purposely bypassing them so that he and Channing (both of whom, I believe, funded the film — as they did Magic Mike) can have more control and a bigger slice of the pie.

Think about – what studio would ever let him do that Amazon deal? Soderbergh’s always been about disruption and innovation. This is simply the latest way to do it. After the back-end money he and Tatum made on MM (by Soderbergh’s account, he made more money on MM than anything else he’s done), he must be intrigued to see how much further he can push it. This way he has total control of distribution and marketing and an even bigger slice of the back end.

The best corollary would be Louis CK and his TV show, Horace and Pete. He funded it himself and now stands to make all the future money himself — seems to have worked out well for him, given him selling it exclusively to Hulu.

On LL, I’d bet that with the Amazon deal done, they’re already in the black (or near it) on production costs. After P & A costs are recouped, they’ll go right into profit.

6. Geoff says:

Sure this isn’t a Coen Bros film?

7. leahnz says:

i have a sphincter-factor 9.5 reaction to crappy put-on accents and there’s some clenching going on watching that
    (charlotte motor speedway, charlotte’s north carolina — as is the coca cola 600 looked that up — so crappy NC accents? could swear some of them sound like bad texas, maybe they start out in texas)

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier