Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

BR-CC-7288

Lay the odds. Can it be good? Can Roger Deakins get an Oscar?

BR-CC-7645 BLADE RUNNER 2049 BR-CC-7250

17 Responses to “After The Tease For The Trailer After The Teaser And The Full-On Trailer, Here’s Four BLADE RUNNER: 2049 Stills”

1. Deakins is a contender now that we’ve seen the trailer. The movie has two palettes: blueish for the Los Angeles secuences and yellowish for Las Vegas.

2. Michael Bergeron says:

the shot of H Ford running … he runs like an old man … I know because that’s how I look like when I run

3. Andrew says:

He’s been running like that since evading RPGs in Clear and Present Danger.

4. Eric says:

The trailer doesn’t suggest the movie has any plot to speak of, but hopefully they’re just showing us Act I and saving the rest for the theater.

Villeneuve certainly inspires more confidence at this point than if Ridley Scott himself was directing.

5. Stella's Boy says:

Yeah Villeneuve is on one hell of a run. Hasn’t made a movie I haven’t either really liked or passionately loved. Fascinating filmmaker. I’ll see anything he directs at this point.

6. palmtree says:

I love the Atari logo in there. It’s like it’s 1982’s version of 2049.

7. EtGuild2 says:

If Roger Deakins doesn’t win for this, if it’s as good as it looks, he’s never going to.

Maybe this is what takes Villeneuve into the Nolan stratosphere. Incendies, Arrival, Prisoners and Sicario (I’m an Enemy and Polytechnique fan too) are as good or better than anything Nolan’s made at this point, but he hasn’t had that culty hit to glom on the kind of rabid fanbase that’s propelled Nolan to Kubrickian territory on IMDB and movie sites. Or maybe it’ll be this and DUNE.

8. Hcat says:

I actually think Ford adopted the stompy clompy arms akimbo windmill running style back in Temple of Doom. Instead of old man though it always looks to me like a toddler running downhill, unsure of his footing and surprised by his momentum hoping that his feet can keep up with his inertia or else he will go sprawling on the ground.

9. Ray Pride says:

From a Guardian interview with Sir Ridley: “Before the end of 2017, we’ll have the long-awaited follow-up to Blade Runner, based on a concept by Scott and writer Hampton Fancher. He says, “Alcon Entertainment were about to buy the title and they said to me, ‘Look, we’re about to pay God knows how many millions – do you think there’s a sequel here?’ And I said, ‘Absolutely.’ They said, ‘What is it?’ And I said, ‘I’ll tell you when you pay me!’”

10. Joe Straatmann says:

“I love the Atari logo in there. It’s like it’s 1982’s version of 2049.”

It’s my favorite detail. Coincidentally, the video game Alien Isolation also did a lot with that “old future” design with objects like security cameras with an obvious green grid design to show its coverage.

Anyway, this stands the best probability of success from many other similar projects. It has about as good of a cast and crew as you could wish for without too many names getting in the way. The director is a proven talent with a cinematographer who is maybe 1 maybe 2 people in the world who could see the revolutionary visuals from the original and say, “I got this.” A screenwriter whose had an extremely solid hit in Logan under his belt and a touchstone from the original on the script. The cast has enough of the original and people fully capable of handling the torch on the new end.

It looks astounding. My only hope is they aren’t doing with the story what I think they’re doing, which seems kind of like the story in the American Ghost in the Shell. Would be weird if a long-awaited sequel to Blade Runner was overly similar to to the watered down version of one of the movies it inspired.

11. leahnz says:

i guess i’m a minority report in thinking it looks a bit try hard (and i like denis’ and pretty much everyone involved, but i’m a hard sell on this one, feeling a bit ‘Prometheus-y’ at this stage before the big reveal, i’m sceptical)

i gather things have gotten quite dusty in the interim

(and the ‘old man ford’s character appears all old now’ thing is wearing thin. plus i’m not feeling leto as the villain, blech…but how does one even begin to follow the classic R hauer/R batty, having one of the best character/redemption arcs in all cinema villainy, up there with d vader)

12. Js partisan says:

Villenueve, is all about looks over substance, so he’s perfect, for a Blade Runner movie. This looks good, but will probably have as deep a meaning to it, as a skittle. One. Red. Singular. Skittle.

13. Geoff says:

Ok JS because neither Arrival nor Sicario had any substance.

14. Geoff says:

Agreed Ethan – I am MUCH more excited about this since Ridley is not directing.

And Villanueve is an interesting point in his career – I don’t see him having a parallel career to Nolan though I’m sure this Blade Runner sequel is going to be as expensive as Batman Begins was.

I don’t know though if he hasn’t had his “culty” hit as of yet. Folks are still talking about Sicario two years later in the same vein they were talking about films like New Jack City or Scarface a few years after they came out – crime dramas that were not huge but big enough to build a devoted following. It’s still early….let’s give it about five years to see if Sicario’s reputation grows.

And the same goes for Arrival – it made more money than anybody expected, received rave reviews, and even received awards attention. Cinephiles seem to love that film and it has the kind of “twist” within its story that can really give a film a long shelf life….a la The Usual Suspects.

Blade Runner 2049 is not going to make money – he just has to hope that it’s not a flop of historical proportions.

15. Mike says:

Blade Runner 2049 looks like this year’s Mad Max Fury Road – hopefully a critical darling of the sci-fi genre that doesn’t make nearly enough money as it should.

16. Hcat says:

Whenever i see the Alcon name it always gives me pause, it no red flag like Morgan Creek but never inspires hope when there is a large budget attached. They can deliver smaller dramas like dolphin tale and blindside just fine but they are one of the past outfits I would expect to tackle a Blade Runner sequel

17. Js partisan says:

Geoff, they are very small fucking films, that have all of the trappings, of grandiose films. This is one of the reasons, why he was the best choice, for a Blade Runner movie.

Feature films are suffering a kind of bad time right now, in my opinion, because the feature films that play in theaters are blockbusters. That seems to fill the theaters, but the art-house cinema is gone. If I made a feature film, it might play in L.A. and New York, a couple of other places, for a week in a little part of a cineplex, and then it would go who knows where. I built this to be on the big screen. It will be on a smaller screen, but it’s built for the big screen. You want a feature film to play on a big screen with big sound, and utilize all the best technology to make a world. It’s really tough after all that work to not get it in the theater. So I say that cable television is a new art house, and it’s good that it’s here.”
~ David Lynch

“The purpose of film isn’t to present the kindness of the world.”
~ Isabelle Huppert