Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island

Friday Estimates 651 2017-03-11 at 8.48.43 AM copy

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island”

1. Christian says:

“Hidden Figures” at $160 million and counting is just amazing. And gratifying.

2. EtGuild2 says:

PERSONAL SHOPPER outgrossing RAW by that much blows my mind. Limited/non-VOD horror releases never work.

LOGAN’s tumble isn’t catastrophic. The movie will pass THE WOLVERINE’s domestic total today, whip past FIRST CLASS Sunday, and catch APOCALYPSE by Tuesday, and looks to finish #3 worldwide in the series…..#4 or #5 (out of 10) domestically.

3. Movieman says:

Since “Figures” hits DVD on March 28th, its best (theatrical) days are probably behind it, Christian.
    I think the only year-end awards title that hasn’t been home vid-dated is “La La Land,” most likely because Lionsgate was anticipating a Best Picture win and thought that might give it a renewed lease on (theatrical) life. Doubt whether this weekend’s sing-a-long edition will give it the last-gasp shot in the arm its six Oscars (but no BP) didn’t.
    Mildly surprised that “A United Kingdom” hasn’t caught on. But neither did the even more acclaimed (and American-set) “Loving” last fall.
    Ethan: isn’t “Raw” coming out on DVD in April? Clearly Focus had no intentions of ever giving it a proper theatrical push. It really does seem like the sort of niche-y title that these days earns most of its coin on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway.
    Dying to see “Personal Shopper.”
    Assayas is one of my favorite working directors, and another teaming w/ K-Stew has been thrilling to contemplate after “Clouds of Sils Maria.”

4. EtGuild2 says:

Yeah it is Movieman, but why even go the theatrical route where you publish box office figures then? Go the Still Alice/I Am Not Your Negro route and hide everything from Rentrak.

5. Ray Pride says:

Raw is Focus World. Most of the titles with that label appear to be hybrid releases, as you inferred.

6. EtGuild2 says:

That’s good to know. I know figures aren’t available but do any Focus World titles stand out from home release on? “Raw” deserves better…though I’m not sure what to say at the moment given that Jason Blum has to deal with “Get Out” slaughtering his own shingle’s release next weekend. Weird horror marketplae;

7. Ray Pride says:

There’s a different logo… but the websites seem to be folding the “Focus World” titles into the mix. http://focusfeatures.com/

“Don’t work with assholes. Ever. No matter what they’re offering, no matter what they bring to the table. If they’re the sort of person where the phone rings at 10 o’clock at night and you wince because you see that it’s them, then don’t do business with them. One asshole will ruin your life. I’ve managed my entire TV and filmmaking career to work with people I like and respect. If the point comes where I don’t like or respect someone, I don’t work with them anymore.”

– Anthony Bourdain

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh