Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island

Friday Estimates 651 2017-03-11 at 8.48.43 AM copy

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island”

1. Christian says:

“Hidden Figures” at $160 million and counting is just amazing. And gratifying.

2. EtGuild2 says:

PERSONAL SHOPPER outgrossing RAW by that much blows my mind. Limited/non-VOD horror releases never work.

LOGAN’s tumble isn’t catastrophic. The movie will pass THE WOLVERINE’s domestic total today, whip past FIRST CLASS Sunday, and catch APOCALYPSE by Tuesday, and looks to finish #3 worldwide in the series…..#4 or #5 (out of 10) domestically.

3. Movieman says:

Since “Figures” hits DVD on March 28th, its best (theatrical) days are probably behind it, Christian.
    I think the only year-end awards title that hasn’t been home vid-dated is “La La Land,” most likely because Lionsgate was anticipating a Best Picture win and thought that might give it a renewed lease on (theatrical) life. Doubt whether this weekend’s sing-a-long edition will give it the last-gasp shot in the arm its six Oscars (but no BP) didn’t.
    Mildly surprised that “A United Kingdom” hasn’t caught on. But neither did the even more acclaimed (and American-set) “Loving” last fall.
    Ethan: isn’t “Raw” coming out on DVD in April? Clearly Focus had no intentions of ever giving it a proper theatrical push. It really does seem like the sort of niche-y title that these days earns most of its coin on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway.
    Dying to see “Personal Shopper.”
    Assayas is one of my favorite working directors, and another teaming w/ K-Stew has been thrilling to contemplate after “Clouds of Sils Maria.”

4. EtGuild2 says:

Yeah it is Movieman, but why even go the theatrical route where you publish box office figures then? Go the Still Alice/I Am Not Your Negro route and hide everything from Rentrak.

5. Ray Pride says:

Raw is Focus World. Most of the titles with that label appear to be hybrid releases, as you inferred.

6. EtGuild2 says:

That’s good to know. I know figures aren’t available but do any Focus World titles stand out from home release on? “Raw” deserves better…though I’m not sure what to say at the moment given that Jason Blum has to deal with “Get Out” slaughtering his own shingle’s release next weekend. Weird horror marketplae;

7. Ray Pride says:

There’s a different logo… but the websites seem to be folding the “Focus World” titles into the mix. http://focusfeatures.com/

“Hollywood executives can rattle off the rules for getting a movie approved by Chinese censors: no sex (too unseemly); no ghosts (too spiritual). Among 10 prohibited plot elements are “disrupts the social order” and “jeopardizes social morality.” Time travel is frowned upon because of its premise that individuals can change history. U.S. filmmakers sometimes anticipate Chinese censors and alter movies before their release. The Oscar-winning alien-invasion drama “Arrival” was edited to make a Chinese general appear less antagonistic before the film’s debut in China this year. For “Passengers,” the space adventure starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, a scene showing Mr. Pratt’s bare backside was removed, and a scene of Mr. Pratt chatting in Mandarin with a robot bartender was added.”
~ “Hollywood’s New Script”

The race stuff blew up first. The second night we aired was the first time I met my boyfriend; we were on a blind date. I had been metabolizing the criticism all week, and I made a really, really dumb joke that I’m perfectly fine to repeat now ’cause I was fuckin’ 25. I said, ‘No one would be calling me a racist if they knew how badly I wanted to fuck Drake.’ He said, ‘Don’t say that in public; that’s not going to help you.’ I just didn’t get it. I was like, ‘I have the three most annoying white friends, and I’m making a TV show about it.'”
~ Lena Dunham