Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island

Friday Estimates 651 2017-03-11 at 8.48.43 AM copy

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island”

1. Christian says:

“Hidden Figures” at $160 million and counting is just amazing. And gratifying.

2. EtGuild2 says:

PERSONAL SHOPPER outgrossing RAW by that much blows my mind. Limited/non-VOD horror releases never work.

LOGAN’s tumble isn’t catastrophic. The movie will pass THE WOLVERINE’s domestic total today, whip past FIRST CLASS Sunday, and catch APOCALYPSE by Tuesday, and looks to finish #3 worldwide in the series…..#4 or #5 (out of 10) domestically.

3. Movieman says:

Since “Figures” hits DVD on March 28th, its best (theatrical) days are probably behind it, Christian.
    I think the only year-end awards title that hasn’t been home vid-dated is “La La Land,” most likely because Lionsgate was anticipating a Best Picture win and thought that might give it a renewed lease on (theatrical) life. Doubt whether this weekend’s sing-a-long edition will give it the last-gasp shot in the arm its six Oscars (but no BP) didn’t.
    Mildly surprised that “A United Kingdom” hasn’t caught on. But neither did the even more acclaimed (and American-set) “Loving” last fall.
    Ethan: isn’t “Raw” coming out on DVD in April? Clearly Focus had no intentions of ever giving it a proper theatrical push. It really does seem like the sort of niche-y title that these days earns most of its coin on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway.
    Dying to see “Personal Shopper.”
    Assayas is one of my favorite working directors, and another teaming w/ K-Stew has been thrilling to contemplate after “Clouds of Sils Maria.”

4. EtGuild2 says:

Yeah it is Movieman, but why even go the theatrical route where you publish box office figures then? Go the Still Alice/I Am Not Your Negro route and hide everything from Rentrak.

5. Ray Pride says:

Raw is Focus World. Most of the titles with that label appear to be hybrid releases, as you inferred.

6. EtGuild2 says:

That’s good to know. I know figures aren’t available but do any Focus World titles stand out from home release on? “Raw” deserves better…though I’m not sure what to say at the moment given that Jason Blum has to deal with “Get Out” slaughtering his own shingle’s release next weekend. Weird horror marketplae;

7. Ray Pride says:

There’s a different logo… but the websites seem to be folding the “Focus World” titles into the mix. http://focusfeatures.com/

“If there are theories about me, I’d rather not know. Astrophysics – now that’s fascinating. String theory, worm holes, the expanding universe, the Big Bang versus the Big Bounce – those are the kind of theories that make you feel like living and understanding the mystery of the world. Film theory is just a pain in the ass.”
~ Claire Denis

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish