Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island

Friday Estimates 651 2017-03-11 at 8.48.43 AM copy

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island”

1. Christian says:

“Hidden Figures” at $160 million and counting is just amazing. And gratifying.

2. EtGuild2 says:

PERSONAL SHOPPER outgrossing RAW by that much blows my mind. Limited/non-VOD horror releases never work.

LOGAN’s tumble isn’t catastrophic. The movie will pass THE WOLVERINE’s domestic total today, whip past FIRST CLASS Sunday, and catch APOCALYPSE by Tuesday, and looks to finish #3 worldwide in the series…..#4 or #5 (out of 10) domestically.

3. Movieman says:

Since “Figures” hits DVD on March 28th, its best (theatrical) days are probably behind it, Christian.
    I think the only year-end awards title that hasn’t been home vid-dated is “La La Land,” most likely because Lionsgate was anticipating a Best Picture win and thought that might give it a renewed lease on (theatrical) life. Doubt whether this weekend’s sing-a-long edition will give it the last-gasp shot in the arm its six Oscars (but no BP) didn’t.
    Mildly surprised that “A United Kingdom” hasn’t caught on. But neither did the even more acclaimed (and American-set) “Loving” last fall.
    Ethan: isn’t “Raw” coming out on DVD in April? Clearly Focus had no intentions of ever giving it a proper theatrical push. It really does seem like the sort of niche-y title that these days earns most of its coin on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway.
    Dying to see “Personal Shopper.”
    Assayas is one of my favorite working directors, and another teaming w/ K-Stew has been thrilling to contemplate after “Clouds of Sils Maria.”

4. EtGuild2 says:

Yeah it is Movieman, but why even go the theatrical route where you publish box office figures then? Go the Still Alice/I Am Not Your Negro route and hide everything from Rentrak.

5. Ray Pride says:

Raw is Focus World. Most of the titles with that label appear to be hybrid releases, as you inferred.

6. EtGuild2 says:

That’s good to know. I know figures aren’t available but do any Focus World titles stand out from home release on? “Raw” deserves better…though I’m not sure what to say at the moment given that Jason Blum has to deal with “Get Out” slaughtering his own shingle’s release next weekend. Weird horror marketplae;

7. Ray Pride says:

There’s a different logo… but the websites seem to be folding the “Focus World” titles into the mix. http://focusfeatures.com/

“TIFF doesn’t make attendance numbers for its Lightbox screenings publicly available, so it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many filmgoers the Lightbox is attracting (or how much money it’s bringing in). But the King Street West venue hasn’t become a significant draw for film enthusiasts. The Lightbox’s attendance has plunged – 49,000 fewer visitors last year, a drop of 27 per cent, according to figures recently reported in the Toronto Star. Its gallery space – designed to showcase the visions of cinema’s most iconic filmmakers – saw most of its exhibitions staff quietly axed this past fall. And its marketing barely escapes the Lightbox’s walls. Unless you are a TIFF member or one of the city’s most avid filmgoers, you could walk by the Lightbox and remain blissfully unaware of a single thing that goes on inside. TIFF “still has a world-class brand,” said Barry Avrich, a filmmaker and former board member, “but it’s going to take some fresh vision from retail, consumer programming and marketing experts, given how the lines have become intensely blurred when it comes to how people watch film. They will have to experiment with programming to find the right blend of function and relevance.”
~ Globe & Mail Epic On State of Toronto Int’l (paywalled)

“I’m 87 years old… I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive… The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there’s nothing. Like there was before I was born. I’m not really into religion, they’re all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

“The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

“Anybody else you’ve interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call… Hey, brother. That’s great, man. Yeah, I’m being interviewed… We’re talking about nothing. I’ve got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He’s stopped asking questions.”
~ Harry Dean Stanton