Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island

Friday Estimates 651 2017-03-11 at 8.48.43 AM copy

7 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Klady: Box Office Island”

1. Christian says:

“Hidden Figures” at $160 million and counting is just amazing. And gratifying.

2. EtGuild2 says:

PERSONAL SHOPPER outgrossing RAW by that much blows my mind. Limited/non-VOD horror releases never work.

LOGAN’s tumble isn’t catastrophic. The movie will pass THE WOLVERINE’s domestic total today, whip past FIRST CLASS Sunday, and catch APOCALYPSE by Tuesday, and looks to finish #3 worldwide in the series…..#4 or #5 (out of 10) domestically.

3. Movieman says:

Since “Figures” hits DVD on March 28th, its best (theatrical) days are probably behind it, Christian.
    I think the only year-end awards title that hasn’t been home vid-dated is “La La Land,” most likely because Lionsgate was anticipating a Best Picture win and thought that might give it a renewed lease on (theatrical) life. Doubt whether this weekend’s sing-a-long edition will give it the last-gasp shot in the arm its six Oscars (but no BP) didn’t.
    Mildly surprised that “A United Kingdom” hasn’t caught on. But neither did the even more acclaimed (and American-set) “Loving” last fall.
    Ethan: isn’t “Raw” coming out on DVD in April? Clearly Focus had no intentions of ever giving it a proper theatrical push. It really does seem like the sort of niche-y title that these days earns most of its coin on DVD/Blu-Ray anyway.
    Dying to see “Personal Shopper.”
    Assayas is one of my favorite working directors, and another teaming w/ K-Stew has been thrilling to contemplate after “Clouds of Sils Maria.”

4. EtGuild2 says:

Yeah it is Movieman, but why even go the theatrical route where you publish box office figures then? Go the Still Alice/I Am Not Your Negro route and hide everything from Rentrak.

5. Ray Pride says:

Raw is Focus World. Most of the titles with that label appear to be hybrid releases, as you inferred.

6. EtGuild2 says:

That’s good to know. I know figures aren’t available but do any Focus World titles stand out from home release on? “Raw” deserves better…though I’m not sure what to say at the moment given that Jason Blum has to deal with “Get Out” slaughtering his own shingle’s release next weekend. Weird horror marketplae;

7. Ray Pride says:

There’s a different logo… but the websites seem to be folding the “Focus World” titles into the mix. http://focusfeatures.com/

“I wanted that feeling that you could live in a city your entire life and never meet anyone who wasn’t like you.”
Gillian Flynn

“We’re all going to die so it makes it very easy. I haven’t always thought that way but I’ve realized it’s the truth. I think age gets you there, questioning your mortality… When you realize that, it’s so liberating, it’s so free, you can fly! There’s no need to hold on to anything. Like, think of the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you; it’s probably happened to 500 million people as well. Who gives a shit!”
~ Steve McQueen