50 Shades Of BYOBlog

teenage grey

7 Responses to “50 Shades Of BYOBlog”

1. Pete B. says:

“You keep what you kill.”

2. Glamourboy says:

I never miss a Judi Dench action film.

3. Ray Pride says:

Bond hasn’t been the same since Dame Judi scampered off.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Finally caught “20th Century Women,” which I don’t recall being discussed much on the blog. It really snuck up on me. At first the disorganized, anecdotal approach didn’t work for me, but it sure as hell did once it got rolling. Funny, melodramatic and poignant. Mike Mills gets more interesting to me with every movie.

5. Movieman says:

Agree re/ “Women,” Ethan.
    It’s the sort of movie that takes awhile to “unpack” (the “disorganized, anecdotal approach” you referenced) and coalesce, but once it does it’s extraordinarily powerful. I was surprised at how moved I was by the ending.
    Disgraceful that Annette Bening and Greta Gerwig weren’t nominated.

6. EtGuild2 says:

Agreed.

“Hollywood executives can rattle off the rules for getting a movie approved by Chinese censors: no sex (too unseemly); no ghosts (too spiritual). Among 10 prohibited plot elements are “disrupts the social order” and “jeopardizes social morality.” Time travel is frowned upon because of its premise that individuals can change history. U.S. filmmakers sometimes anticipate Chinese censors and alter movies before their release. The Oscar-winning alien-invasion drama “Arrival” was edited to make a Chinese general appear less antagonistic before the film’s debut in China this year. For “Passengers,” the space adventure starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, a scene showing Mr. Pratt’s bare backside was removed, and a scene of Mr. Pratt chatting in Mandarin with a robot bartender was added.”
~ “Hollywood’s New Script”

The race stuff blew up first. The second night we aired was the first time I met my boyfriend; we were on a blind date. I had been metabolizing the criticism all week, and I made a really, really dumb joke that I’m perfectly fine to repeat now ’cause I was fuckin’ 25. I said, ‘No one would be calling me a racist if they knew how badly I wanted to fuck Drake.’ He said, ‘Don’t say that in public; that’s not going to help you.’ I just didn’t get it. I was like, ‘I have the three most annoying white friends, and I’m making a TV show about it.'”
~ Lena Dunham