50 Shades Of BYOBlog

teenage grey

7 Responses to “50 Shades Of BYOBlog”

1. Pete B. says:

“You keep what you kill.”

2. Glamourboy says:

I never miss a Judi Dench action film.

3. Ray Pride says:

Bond hasn’t been the same since Dame Judi scampered off.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Finally caught “20th Century Women,” which I don’t recall being discussed much on the blog. It really snuck up on me. At first the disorganized, anecdotal approach didn’t work for me, but it sure as hell did once it got rolling. Funny, melodramatic and poignant. Mike Mills gets more interesting to me with every movie.

5. Movieman says:

Agree re/ “Women,” Ethan.
    It’s the sort of movie that takes awhile to “unpack” (the “disorganized, anecdotal approach” you referenced) and coalesce, but once it does it’s extraordinarily powerful. I was surprised at how moved I was by the ending.
    Disgraceful that Annette Bening and Greta Gerwig weren’t nominated.

6. EtGuild2 says:

Agreed.

“There’s a mass belief that if you’re texting, you’re somehow not interrupting the conversation—you’re not being rude. It’s an illusion of multitasking. I started filmmaking when people didn’t expect to have a phone on set, when it would’ve been seen as unprofessional to pull out a phone. Phones have become a huge distraction, and people work much better without them. At first it causes difficulty, but it really allows them to concentrate on what they’re doing. Everybody understands. I’ve had a lot of crews thank me. With a set, we’re trying to create a bubble of alternate reality.”
~ Christopher Nolan

“I’ve always loved films that approach sound in an impressionistic way and that is an unusual approach for a mainstream blockbuster, but I feel it’s the right approach for this experiential film. Many of the filmmakers I’ve admired over the years have used sound in bold and adventurous ways. I don’t agree with the idea that you can only achieve clarity through dialogue. Clarity of story, clarity of emotions—I try to achieve that in a very layered way using all the different things at my disposal—picture and sound.”
~ Christopher Nolan