50 Shades Of BYOBlog

teenage grey

7 Responses to “50 Shades Of BYOBlog”

1. Pete B. says:

“You keep what you kill.”

2. Glamourboy says:

I never miss a Judi Dench action film.

3. Ray Pride says:

Bond hasn’t been the same since Dame Judi scampered off.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Finally caught “20th Century Women,” which I don’t recall being discussed much on the blog. It really snuck up on me. At first the disorganized, anecdotal approach didn’t work for me, but it sure as hell did once it got rolling. Funny, melodramatic and poignant. Mike Mills gets more interesting to me with every movie.

5. Movieman says:

Agree re/ “Women,” Ethan.
    It’s the sort of movie that takes awhile to “unpack” (the “disorganized, anecdotal approach” you referenced) and coalesce, but once it does it’s extraordinarily powerful. I was surprised at how moved I was by the ending.
    Disgraceful that Annette Bening and Greta Gerwig weren’t nominated.

6. EtGuild2 says:

Agreed.

“I never accepted the term contrarian. I think that’s offensive, frankly. And my response to that is: if I’m a contrarian, what are other reviewers? What I strive to do is be a good critic, not somebody who simply accepts the product put in front of me. I guess it scares people to think that they don’t have any originality; that they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves.

“There’s a line a lot of reviewers use that I don’t like at all. They say ‘accept the film on its own terms.’ What that really means is, ‘accept the film as it is advertised.’ That’s got nothing to do with criticism. Nothing to do with having a response as a film watcher. A thinking person has to analyze what’s on screen, not simply rubber-stamp it or kowtow to marketing.”m

“To me, everything does have a political component and I think it’s an interesting way to look at art. It’s one way that makes film reviewing, I think, a politically relevant form of journalism. We do live in a political world, and we bring our political sense to the movies with us – unless you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies and shuts off the outside world. I’m not that kind of person.”
~ Armond White to Luke Buckmaster

“One of comedy’s defining pathologies, alongside literal pathologies like narcissism and self-loathing, is its swaggering certainty that it is part of the political vanguard, while upholding one of the most rigidly patriarchal hierarchies of any art form.”
~ Lindy West