Bring Us Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Commenters Yearning To Write Free

byob_statueofliberty

13 Responses to “Bring Us Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Commenters Yearning To Write Free”

1. EtGuild2 says:

So heartbroken over the refugee/Muslim ban, and Asghar Farhadi is a perfect example. He is a master of sly subversiveness, constantly challenging social conceptions. He also, better than any other working director perhaps, understands the power of perspective.

This ham-fisted, nationalist BS is hurting decent people who support our greatest ideals and principles. And it teaches a new generation to hate us. For me, this finally pierces through this coping mechanism of cynicism I’ve been using pretty well since Election Day. I’m really upset.

2. Joe Leydon says:

As I have posted elsewhere: Who has done more in the past 24 hours to help ISIS recruiters convince Muslims that the West hates them?

3. Sideshow Bill says:

The entire Republican party is committing suicide (or maybe more accurately murder/suicide). The fact that people with green cards are also being turned away –CITIZENS– has to be illegal. I don’t know what we do. I feel dire and I talk with my daughters and friends but it ends is depression. I took off to a movie today and enjoyed the escape.

4. PcChongor says:

As a refugee who emigrated to the U.S., words can’t even begin to describe how fucked this situation currently is. The only consolation is that Trump is like the giant squid from “The Watchman” and he’s about to unite the world against a common evil.

So long as the refugees still have somewhere to go it’ll be fine, but it’s a real shame that it won’t be America, which truly is the greatest place on earth for immigrants.

5. palmtree says:

A Federal judge granted a stay on the executive order. That means it’s no longer in effect. We have the ACLU to thank.

6. Stella's Boy says:

Amen Joe, and also what Bill said. Just a sick, empty feeling right now. Like most I figured he’d be a terrible president, but not this quickly. It’s so horrifying. Grateful for the ACLU, and Dems need to get a spine and get coordinated and fight him like hell. Wouldn’t hurt to have Obama get more vocal too.

7. Movieman says:

I thought it was as good a weekend as any to re-visit Satyajit Ray’s humanist masterpiece, “The Apu Trilogy.”
    Six hours (very) well spent.

8. Sideshow Bill says:

Is this new news, or flying under the radar a bit:

9. JS Partisan says:

.057 of people in the rust belt, should not have this much power over the world. This is a disaster, and when it gets people killed. I hope, that no one rallies around this man, and his idiot policies. We should turn on his ass, and demand he is properly impeached. He’s fucking disgusting.

10. Ray Pride says:

That was linked on the front page when it was first announced.

11. Sideshow Bill says:

TY Ray. My bad.

12. Ray Pride says:

Oh no, it’s great to bring it up! Don’t stop! Just mentioning that it was noted when the news was first published.

13. Sideshow Bill says:

I see. I just saw it in my Twitter feed today and missed it originally. Thought JSP might “appreciate” it.

“It’s a film festival’s job—and increasingly so—to create moments of recognition, of enjoyment, of shock, of learning. Not of consumerism. Not of implementing cultural policy. But moments without pretence, unclouded by vested interests, by intervention, by cynicism, by everyday business. Committed to nothing but the thing itself. Under obligation to nothing, to no one, not even to the filmmakers themselves. To basically seek access to a form that does not yet exist, a place no one has been to, a time that has not yet come. ’A form that thinks, and a thought that forms,’ as Jean-Luc Godard has it.”
~ Hans Hurch, late director of the Viennale

“There’s a mass belief that if you’re texting, you’re somehow not interrupting the conversation—you’re not being rude. It’s an illusion of multitasking. I started filmmaking when people didn’t expect to have a phone on set, when it would’ve been seen as unprofessional to pull out a phone. Phones have become a huge distraction, and people work much better without them. At first it causes difficulty, but it really allows them to concentrate on what they’re doing. Everybody understands. I’ve had a lot of crews thank me. With a set, we’re trying to create a bubble of alternate reality.”
~ Christopher Nolan