4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady

4 Day Wknd Estimates 2017-01-16 at 9.49.32AM

13 Responses to “4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady”

1. Movieman says:

On the specialty circuit–specifically, the Sony Classics beat–I’m a little surprised that “Elle” hasn’t done better.
    And I’m puzzled as to why “The Eagle Huntress” has done as well as it has.
    The former is a classic arthouse button-pusher w/ an extravagantly (and deservedly) praised Isabelle Huppert performance.
    The latter is a run of the mill National Geographic-type nature doc that feels synthetic, even phony (as in staged for the camera) much of the time.
    Did “Huntress” catch on w/ pre-teen girls in NPR/PBS-subscribing households?

2. Christian says:

I wasn’t a fan of “A Monster Calls” but don’t think it deserved this level of wipeout.

3. Spacesheik says:

A lot of bombs in a limited period:

LIVE BY NIGHT
    A MONSTER CALLS
    PATRIOT’S DAY
    BYE BYE MAN
    SLEEPLESS
    SILENCE

Of course, MONSTER TRUCKS was expected to bomb.

What’s your take David? Bad studio release schedule? Quality of films?

4. Stella's Boy says:

The Bye Bye Man isn’t a bomb. It only cost $7 million. How unusual is it for three R-rated films to go wide the same day? Sleepless, Live By Night, and Patriot’s Day are very different movies, but still.

5. Pete B. says:

Time for A Monster Calls/Monster Trucks double feature!

6. brack says:

I thought it was odd that there were two films directed by Peter Berg, both released 3-4 months apart, with each starring Walhberg.

7. palmtree says:

Yeah, and each with a real-life tragedy that made national headlines. It’s kind of an amazing brand if he can keep it going.

8. Ray Pride says:

Next one’s story of the 2016 campaign, with Wahlberg as Trump.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Only Barry Pepper can play Trump. Wahlberg will have to be Corey Lewandowski or Eric Trump.

10. Movieman says:

…with Anna Gunn as Kellyanne Conway?

Or just go full out white trash and tag Rob Zombie to direct and Sheri Moon to play Conway.

11. Hallick says:

Patricia Clarkson as Kellyanne Conway and Russell Crowe as Steve Bannon.

12. EtGuild2 says:

Ben Foster as Corey Lewandowski! Jack Nicholson as Roger Stone!

A guy can dream.

13. Ray Pride says:

James Woods IS Roger Stone.

“TIFF doesn’t make attendance numbers for its Lightbox screenings publicly available, so it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many filmgoers the Lightbox is attracting (or how much money it’s bringing in). But the King Street West venue hasn’t become a significant draw for film enthusiasts. The Lightbox’s attendance has plunged – 49,000 fewer visitors last year, a drop of 27 per cent, according to figures recently reported in the Toronto Star. Its gallery space – designed to showcase the visions of cinema’s most iconic filmmakers – saw most of its exhibitions staff quietly axed this past fall. And its marketing barely escapes the Lightbox’s walls. Unless you are a TIFF member or one of the city’s most avid filmgoers, you could walk by the Lightbox and remain blissfully unaware of a single thing that goes on inside. TIFF “still has a world-class brand,” said Barry Avrich, a filmmaker and former board member, “but it’s going to take some fresh vision from retail, consumer programming and marketing experts, given how the lines have become intensely blurred when it comes to how people watch film. They will have to experiment with programming to find the right blend of function and relevance.”
~ Globe & Mail Epic On State of Toronto Int’l (paywalled)

“I’m 87 years old… I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive… The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there’s nothing. Like there was before I was born. I’m not really into religion, they’re all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

“The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

“Anybody else you’ve interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call… Hey, brother. That’s great, man. Yeah, I’m being interviewed… We’re talking about nothing. I’ve got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He’s stopped asking questions.”
~ Harry Dean Stanton