4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady

4 Day Wknd Estimates 2017-01-16 at 9.49.32AM

13 Responses to “4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady”

1. Movieman says:

On the specialty circuit–specifically, the Sony Classics beat–I’m a little surprised that “Elle” hasn’t done better.
    And I’m puzzled as to why “The Eagle Huntress” has done as well as it has.
    The former is a classic arthouse button-pusher w/ an extravagantly (and deservedly) praised Isabelle Huppert performance.
    The latter is a run of the mill National Geographic-type nature doc that feels synthetic, even phony (as in staged for the camera) much of the time.
    Did “Huntress” catch on w/ pre-teen girls in NPR/PBS-subscribing households?

2. Christian says:

I wasn’t a fan of “A Monster Calls” but don’t think it deserved this level of wipeout.

3. Spacesheik says:

A lot of bombs in a limited period:

LIVE BY NIGHT
    A MONSTER CALLS
    PATRIOT’S DAY
    BYE BYE MAN
    SLEEPLESS
    SILENCE

Of course, MONSTER TRUCKS was expected to bomb.

What’s your take David? Bad studio release schedule? Quality of films?

4. Stella's Boy says:

The Bye Bye Man isn’t a bomb. It only cost $7 million. How unusual is it for three R-rated films to go wide the same day? Sleepless, Live By Night, and Patriot’s Day are very different movies, but still.

5. Pete B. says:

Time for A Monster Calls/Monster Trucks double feature!

6. brack says:

I thought it was odd that there were two films directed by Peter Berg, both released 3-4 months apart, with each starring Walhberg.

7. palmtree says:

Yeah, and each with a real-life tragedy that made national headlines. It’s kind of an amazing brand if he can keep it going.

8. Ray Pride says:

Next one’s story of the 2016 campaign, with Wahlberg as Trump.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Only Barry Pepper can play Trump. Wahlberg will have to be Corey Lewandowski or Eric Trump.

10. Movieman says:

…with Anna Gunn as Kellyanne Conway?

Or just go full out white trash and tag Rob Zombie to direct and Sheri Moon to play Conway.

11. Hallick says:

Patricia Clarkson as Kellyanne Conway and Russell Crowe as Steve Bannon.

12. EtGuild2 says:

Ben Foster as Corey Lewandowski! Jack Nicholson as Roger Stone!

A guy can dream.

13. Ray Pride says:

James Woods IS Roger Stone.

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish

“It’s the job of the artist, to exploit connections. You see, I speak on behalf of the world of the artist without hesitation! People don’t realize that the part of the playwright is finding something for people to talk about. If you are writing about a historical episode, or two characters in ‘Hamlet,’ you have a structure for free.”
~ Tom Stoppard