4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady

4 Day Wknd Estimates 2017-01-16 at 9.49.32AM

13 Responses to “4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady”

1. Movieman says:

On the specialty circuit–specifically, the Sony Classics beat–I’m a little surprised that “Elle” hasn’t done better.
    And I’m puzzled as to why “The Eagle Huntress” has done as well as it has.
    The former is a classic arthouse button-pusher w/ an extravagantly (and deservedly) praised Isabelle Huppert performance.
    The latter is a run of the mill National Geographic-type nature doc that feels synthetic, even phony (as in staged for the camera) much of the time.
    Did “Huntress” catch on w/ pre-teen girls in NPR/PBS-subscribing households?

2. Christian says:

I wasn’t a fan of “A Monster Calls” but don’t think it deserved this level of wipeout.

3. Spacesheik says:

A lot of bombs in a limited period:

LIVE BY NIGHT
    A MONSTER CALLS
    PATRIOT’S DAY
    BYE BYE MAN
    SLEEPLESS
    SILENCE

Of course, MONSTER TRUCKS was expected to bomb.

What’s your take David? Bad studio release schedule? Quality of films?

4. Stella's Boy says:

The Bye Bye Man isn’t a bomb. It only cost $7 million. How unusual is it for three R-rated films to go wide the same day? Sleepless, Live By Night, and Patriot’s Day are very different movies, but still.

5. Pete B. says:

Time for A Monster Calls/Monster Trucks double feature!

6. brack says:

I thought it was odd that there were two films directed by Peter Berg, both released 3-4 months apart, with each starring Walhberg.

7. palmtree says:

Yeah, and each with a real-life tragedy that made national headlines. It’s kind of an amazing brand if he can keep it going.

8. Ray Pride says:

Next one’s story of the 2016 campaign, with Wahlberg as Trump.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Only Barry Pepper can play Trump. Wahlberg will have to be Corey Lewandowski or Eric Trump.

10. Movieman says:

…with Anna Gunn as Kellyanne Conway?

Or just go full out white trash and tag Rob Zombie to direct and Sheri Moon to play Conway.

11. Hallick says:

Patricia Clarkson as Kellyanne Conway and Russell Crowe as Steve Bannon.

12. EtGuild2 says:

Ben Foster as Corey Lewandowski! Jack Nicholson as Roger Stone!

A guy can dream.

13. Ray Pride says:

James Woods IS Roger Stone.

“There’s a mass belief that if you’re texting, you’re somehow not interrupting the conversation—you’re not being rude. It’s an illusion of multitasking. I started filmmaking when people didn’t expect to have a phone on set, when it would’ve been seen as unprofessional to pull out a phone. Phones have become a huge distraction, and people work much better without them. At first it causes difficulty, but it really allows them to concentrate on what they’re doing. Everybody understands. I’ve had a lot of crews thank me. With a set, we’re trying to create a bubble of alternate reality.”
~ Christopher Nolan

“I’ve always loved films that approach sound in an impressionistic way and that is an unusual approach for a mainstream blockbuster, but I feel it’s the right approach for this experiential film. Many of the filmmakers I’ve admired over the years have used sound in bold and adventurous ways. I don’t agree with the idea that you can only achieve clarity through dialogue. Clarity of story, clarity of emotions—I try to achieve that in a very layered way using all the different things at my disposal—picture and sound.”
~ Christopher Nolan