4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady

4 Day Wknd Estimates 2017-01-16 at 9.49.32AM

13 Responses to “4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady”

1. Movieman says:

On the specialty circuit–specifically, the Sony Classics beat–I’m a little surprised that “Elle” hasn’t done better.
    And I’m puzzled as to why “The Eagle Huntress” has done as well as it has.
    The former is a classic arthouse button-pusher w/ an extravagantly (and deservedly) praised Isabelle Huppert performance.
    The latter is a run of the mill National Geographic-type nature doc that feels synthetic, even phony (as in staged for the camera) much of the time.
    Did “Huntress” catch on w/ pre-teen girls in NPR/PBS-subscribing households?

2. Christian says:

I wasn’t a fan of “A Monster Calls” but don’t think it deserved this level of wipeout.

3. Spacesheik says:

A lot of bombs in a limited period:

LIVE BY NIGHT
    A MONSTER CALLS
    PATRIOT’S DAY
    BYE BYE MAN
    SLEEPLESS
    SILENCE

Of course, MONSTER TRUCKS was expected to bomb.

What’s your take David? Bad studio release schedule? Quality of films?

4. Stella's Boy says:

The Bye Bye Man isn’t a bomb. It only cost $7 million. How unusual is it for three R-rated films to go wide the same day? Sleepless, Live By Night, and Patriot’s Day are very different movies, but still.

5. Pete B. says:

Time for A Monster Calls/Monster Trucks double feature!

6. brack says:

I thought it was odd that there were two films directed by Peter Berg, both released 3-4 months apart, with each starring Walhberg.

7. palmtree says:

Yeah, and each with a real-life tragedy that made national headlines. It’s kind of an amazing brand if he can keep it going.

8. Ray Pride says:

Next one’s story of the 2016 campaign, with Wahlberg as Trump.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Only Barry Pepper can play Trump. Wahlberg will have to be Corey Lewandowski or Eric Trump.

10. Movieman says:

…with Anna Gunn as Kellyanne Conway?

Or just go full out white trash and tag Rob Zombie to direct and Sheri Moon to play Conway.

11. Hallick says:

Patricia Clarkson as Kellyanne Conway and Russell Crowe as Steve Bannon.

12. EtGuild2 says:

Ben Foster as Corey Lewandowski! Jack Nicholson as Roger Stone!

A guy can dream.

13. Ray Pride says:

James Woods IS Roger Stone.

BLOOM
There cannot be a human being who has fewer thoughts on the whole question of word processing than I do. I’ve never even seen a word processor. I am hopelessly archaic. For me the typewriter hasn’t even been invented yet, so how can I speak to this matter? I protest! A man who has never learned to type is not going to be able to add anything to this debate. As far as I’m concerned, computers have as much to do with literature as space travel, perhaps much less. I can only write with a ballpoint pen, with a Rolling Writer, they’re called, a black Rolling Writer on a lined yellow legal pad on a certain kind of clipboard. And then someone else types it.

INTERVIEWER
And someone else edits?

BLOOM
No one edits. I edit. I refuse to be edited.

INTERVIEWER
Do you revise much?

BLOOM
Sometimes, but not often.
~ Harold Bloom

“So, what does it look like when he leaves the show? First, it looks like a ratings spike, and I had a nice chuckle about that. But the truth is, the ink wasn’t even dry on his exit papers before they rushed in a new guy. I was on vacation in Sicily, decompressing — it was a long working relationship and it was a tumultuous end and I needed a moment to just chill with some rosé — and they’re calling me, going, ‘What do you think of this guy?’ ‘What do you think of this guy?’ And they’re sending pictures. I was like, ‘Are you people fucking nuts? Why do you feel that you have to replace this person?’ I couldn’t believe how fast the studio and the network felt like they had to get a penis in there.”
Ellen Pompeo