4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady

4 Day Wknd Estimates 2017-01-16 at 9.49.32AM

13 Responses to “4-Day Estimates by Happy MLK Klady”

1. Movieman says:

On the specialty circuit–specifically, the Sony Classics beat–I’m a little surprised that “Elle” hasn’t done better.
    And I’m puzzled as to why “The Eagle Huntress” has done as well as it has.
    The former is a classic arthouse button-pusher w/ an extravagantly (and deservedly) praised Isabelle Huppert performance.
    The latter is a run of the mill National Geographic-type nature doc that feels synthetic, even phony (as in staged for the camera) much of the time.
    Did “Huntress” catch on w/ pre-teen girls in NPR/PBS-subscribing households?

2. Christian says:

I wasn’t a fan of “A Monster Calls” but don’t think it deserved this level of wipeout.

3. Spacesheik says:

A lot of bombs in a limited period:

LIVE BY NIGHT
    A MONSTER CALLS
    PATRIOT’S DAY
    BYE BYE MAN
    SLEEPLESS
    SILENCE

Of course, MONSTER TRUCKS was expected to bomb.

What’s your take David? Bad studio release schedule? Quality of films?

4. Stella's Boy says:

The Bye Bye Man isn’t a bomb. It only cost $7 million. How unusual is it for three R-rated films to go wide the same day? Sleepless, Live By Night, and Patriot’s Day are very different movies, but still.

5. Pete B. says:

Time for A Monster Calls/Monster Trucks double feature!

6. brack says:

I thought it was odd that there were two films directed by Peter Berg, both released 3-4 months apart, with each starring Walhberg.

7. palmtree says:

Yeah, and each with a real-life tragedy that made national headlines. It’s kind of an amazing brand if he can keep it going.

8. Ray Pride says:

Next one’s story of the 2016 campaign, with Wahlberg as Trump.

9. Stella's Boy says:

Only Barry Pepper can play Trump. Wahlberg will have to be Corey Lewandowski or Eric Trump.

10. Movieman says:

…with Anna Gunn as Kellyanne Conway?

Or just go full out white trash and tag Rob Zombie to direct and Sheri Moon to play Conway.

11. Hallick says:

Patricia Clarkson as Kellyanne Conway and Russell Crowe as Steve Bannon.

12. EtGuild2 says:

Ben Foster as Corey Lewandowski! Jack Nicholson as Roger Stone!

A guy can dream.

13. Ray Pride says:

James Woods IS Roger Stone.

“I don’t really believe in guilty pleasures. I like to subscribe to Susan Sontag’s thought of no highs and lows. I think dismissing popular culture and popular films can be really dangerous because they may seem innocuous, but some are works of art and even when they’re not they can say so much about the culture that they’re reflecting. This also gets into the idea of canon. What is good and isn’t good? Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about that. Specifically, who writes these canons? Mainly, straight white guys — which basically rigs the system. So, if you have a knowledge of female filmmakers, queer filmmakers, African or Asian filmmakers, some people won’t give them the same culture capital. They’ll say, “Oh, that’s nice niche knowledge.” No, it’s not. You’re just seeing it through the prism of something white and male. Like Shonda Rhimes’ ‘Scandal.’ I love that show, but is it a guilty pleasure because it’s a soap on TV? No. I think it has incredible writing, incredible thought and characters, so we should take it seriously. That’s a long-winded answer to say, “Yes, I love Titanic.” I was 10 years old when it came out and my mom took me to see it three times. I was so obsessed with it. A big thanks to my mom who’ll never get those nine hours of her life back.”
~ Toronto Int’l Programmer and Critic Kiva Reardon

“A lot of us felt blindsided,” Van Vliet told me. In the seventies, Van Vliet was drafted out of film school by Industrial Light & Magic, where he worked on The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now 62 and semi-retired, he said, “Once you get into your fifties, you’re pretty disposable.” Van Vliet was in the middle of reviewing DVD screeners before casting his Oscar votes, a process he estimated would take a hundred and twenty hours. “The Academy is essentially asking us to give them three weeks of labor, and then they’re going to take our results, put them into a ceremony, and sell it,” he said, referring to the seventy-five million dollars that the organization earns from the television broadcast. “Then they’re turning around and kicking us in the teeth.”
~ “Shakeup At The Oscars”