BYOB is back…

byob_303

8 Responses to “BYOB is back…”

1. EtGuild2 says:

I agree with Indiewire: Illumination Entertainment is Satanic.

SING is the most carefully crafted lard sculpture of cross-promotion I’ve ever seen that isn’t already part of a franchise.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Carrying this over from another thread because I’m so happy about it: I could not be more thrilled that Wes Anderson is doing another stop-motion animated film. I love Fantastic Mr. Fox with all my heart. It was a wonderful experience for me and my daughters. I can’t wait until Isle Of Dogs is released. Gonna be a long wait. Anyone else?

3. Doug R says:

Tempted to enter the contest where first prize is a trip to London and a voice on “Isle Of Dogs”.

4. EtGuild2 says:

FANTASTIC MR. FOX is one of my favorite animated movies of all-time, and my favorite Wes Anderson, so I’m equally thrilled.

5. Hcat says:

One of the things I love about Anderson is each time I see one of his films they get more Wes Andersony. After Life Aquatic I thought he had entirely disappeared into his own mind, but then Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonlight Kingdom was even more so and then Grand Budapest even more so than that. It is wonderful to have a filmmaker working where each time they release something you think “oh wait, thats his masterpiece” and your favorite film of his is constantly shifting depending on which you have seen most recently.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

I agree he’s on a great streak. Mr, Fox, Moonrise and Budapest are among if not at the top of my list. We quote Mr. Fox around here all the time, completely randomly. “he’s rabid, with rabies.” That’s a popular one.

7. Doug R says:

“Are you cussing with me?”

8. Sideshow Bill says:

^^^^ Excellent.

“By the time the draft was completed, and passed on to my frequent collaborator, director Kathryn Bigelow, I’d written something quite unlike the singular focus and sole protagonists of The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty. The effort to make Detroit a mirror of the chaotic times led to an ensemble piece, quickly shifting between characters in a nesting doll of movies within movies, a riot film that gives way to racial horror-crime that switches to a courtroom drama, with several detours along the way into a band’s journey, the miseducation of rookie cops and the adventures of a pair of young women experimenting with sexual freedom. It was, in short, a lot of ground to cover in a single picture. But Kathryn was encouraging, and over the proceeding draft we collaborated closely to hone the themes and scope, while attempting to keep alive the spirit of a tough and untamed narrative.”
~ Mark Boal on researching and writing Detroit

What are we doing wrong?
“Well, first of all, by “we” I assume you mean the public, the public approach or the public discourse, which means the discourse that takes place in the media. And for the purposes of this discussion, let us imagine that the media is white and thus approaches the topic of race as if they (the white people) were the answer and them (the black people) were the question. And so, in the interest of fairness, they take their turn (having first, of course, given it to themselves) and then invite comment by some different white people and some similar black people. They give what purports to be simply their point of view and then everyone else gives their beside-the-point of view.

“The customary way for white people to think about the topic of race—and it is only a topic to white people—is to ask, How would it be if I were black? But you can’t separate the “I” from being white. The “I” is so informed by the experience of being white that it is its very creation—it is this “I” in this context that is, in fact, the white man’s burden. People who think of themselves as well intentioned—which is, let’s face it, how people think of themselves—believe that the best, most compassionate, most American way to understand another person is to walk a mile in their shoes. And I think that’s conventionally the way this thing is approached. And that’s why the conversation never gets anywhere and that’s why the answers always come back wrong and the situation stays static—and worse than static.”
~ Fran Lebowitz, 1997