BYOB is back…

byob_303

8 Responses to “BYOB is back…”

1. EtGuild2 says:

I agree with Indiewire: Illumination Entertainment is Satanic.

SING is the most carefully crafted lard sculpture of cross-promotion I’ve ever seen that isn’t already part of a franchise.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Carrying this over from another thread because I’m so happy about it: I could not be more thrilled that Wes Anderson is doing another stop-motion animated film. I love Fantastic Mr. Fox with all my heart. It was a wonderful experience for me and my daughters. I can’t wait until Isle Of Dogs is released. Gonna be a long wait. Anyone else?

3. Doug R says:

Tempted to enter the contest where first prize is a trip to London and a voice on “Isle Of Dogs”.

4. EtGuild2 says:

FANTASTIC MR. FOX is one of my favorite animated movies of all-time, and my favorite Wes Anderson, so I’m equally thrilled.

5. Hcat says:

One of the things I love about Anderson is each time I see one of his films they get more Wes Andersony. After Life Aquatic I thought he had entirely disappeared into his own mind, but then Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonlight Kingdom was even more so and then Grand Budapest even more so than that. It is wonderful to have a filmmaker working where each time they release something you think “oh wait, thats his masterpiece” and your favorite film of his is constantly shifting depending on which you have seen most recently.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

I agree he’s on a great streak. Mr, Fox, Moonrise and Budapest are among if not at the top of my list. We quote Mr. Fox around here all the time, completely randomly. “he’s rabid, with rabies.” That’s a popular one.

7. Doug R says:

“Are you cussing with me?”

8. Sideshow Bill says:

^^^^ Excellent.

“I was 15 when I first watched Sally Hardesty escape into the back of a pickup truck, covered in blood and cackling like a goddamn witch. All of her friends were dead. She had been kidnapped, tortured and even forced to feed her own blood to her cannibalistic captors’ impossibly shriveled patriarch. Being new to the horror genre, I was sure she was going to die. It had been a few months since I survived a violent sexual assault, where I subsequently ran from my assailant, tripped, fell and fought like hell. I crawled home with bloody knees, makeup-stained cheeks and a new void in both my mind and heart. My sense of safety, my ability to trust others, my willingness to form new relationships and my love of spending time with people I cared about were all taken from me. It wasn’t until I found the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that something clicked. It was Sally’s strength, and her resilience. It was watching her survive blows to the head from a hammer. It was watching her break free from her bonds and burst through a glass window. It was watching her get back up after she’d been stabbed. It was watching her crawl into the back of a truck, laughing as it drove away from Leatherface. She was the last one to confront the killer, and live. I remember sitting in front of the TV and thinking, There I am. That’s me.”
~ Lauren Milici On “The Final Girl”

“‘Thriller’ enforced its own reality principle; it was there, part of the every commute, a serenade to every errand, a referent to every purchase, a fact of every life. You didn’t have to like it, you only had to acknowledge it. By July 6, 1984, when the Jacksons played the first show of their ‘Victory’ tour, in Kansas City, Missouri, Jacksonism had produced a system of commodification so complete that whatever and whoever was admitted to it instantly became a new commodity. People were no longer comsuming commodities as such things are conventionally understood (records, videos, posters, books, magazines, key rings, earrings necklaces pins buttons wigs voice-altering devices Pepsis t-shirts underwear hats scarves gloves jackets – and why were there no jeans called Bille Jeans?); they were consuming their own gestures of consumption. That is, they were consuming not a Tayloristic Michael Jackson, or any licensed facsimile, but themselves. Riding a Mobius strip of pure capitalism, that was the transubstantiation.”
~ Greil Marcus On Michael Jackson