BYOB is back…

byob_303

8 Responses to “BYOB is back…”

1. EtGuild2 says:

I agree with Indiewire: Illumination Entertainment is Satanic.

SING is the most carefully crafted lard sculpture of cross-promotion I’ve ever seen that isn’t already part of a franchise.

2. Sideshow Bill says:

Carrying this over from another thread because I’m so happy about it: I could not be more thrilled that Wes Anderson is doing another stop-motion animated film. I love Fantastic Mr. Fox with all my heart. It was a wonderful experience for me and my daughters. I can’t wait until Isle Of Dogs is released. Gonna be a long wait. Anyone else?

3. Doug R says:

Tempted to enter the contest where first prize is a trip to London and a voice on “Isle Of Dogs”.

4. EtGuild2 says:

FANTASTIC MR. FOX is one of my favorite animated movies of all-time, and my favorite Wes Anderson, so I’m equally thrilled.

5. Hcat says:

One of the things I love about Anderson is each time I see one of his films they get more Wes Andersony. After Life Aquatic I thought he had entirely disappeared into his own mind, but then Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonlight Kingdom was even more so and then Grand Budapest even more so than that. It is wonderful to have a filmmaker working where each time they release something you think “oh wait, thats his masterpiece” and your favorite film of his is constantly shifting depending on which you have seen most recently.

6. Sideshow Bill says:

I agree he’s on a great streak. Mr, Fox, Moonrise and Budapest are among if not at the top of my list. We quote Mr. Fox around here all the time, completely randomly. “he’s rabid, with rabies.” That’s a popular one.

7. Doug R says:

“Are you cussing with me?”

8. Sideshow Bill says:

^^^^ Excellent.

What’s up with your people mover shot, where it seems like people are kind of floating along?
Oh, my signature shot? That’s just a new way for people to move! It’s really become my Alfred Hitchcock cameo. I did not invent that shot, but Ernest and I did it on the set of Mo Better Blues, when Shorty had to walk [through the park], and I thought, “Let’s try it.” But after that, we tried to have a reason for it. For example, that wonderful sequence in Malcolm X where you hear the great song, “A Change Is Gonna Come.” The final scene is like that, Malcolm floating along to his destiny. In 25th Hour, after Philip Seymour Hoffman has kissed Anna Paquin, we did a shot like that, and it shows his state of mind. In Inside Man, after Denzel thinks he’s witnessed the murder of a hostage, we did the floating shot there.

So you just like the way it looks?
Yeah!
~ Spike Lee To Matt Zoller Seitz

“I never accepted the term contrarian. I think that’s offensive, frankly. And my response to that is: if I’m a contrarian, what are other reviewers? What I strive to do is be a good critic, not somebody who simply accepts the product put in front of me. I guess it scares people to think that they don’t have any originality; that they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves.

“There’s a line a lot of reviewers use that I don’t like at all. They say ‘accept the film on its own terms.’ What that really means is, ‘accept the film as it is advertised.’ That’s got nothing to do with criticism. Nothing to do with having a response as a film watcher. A thinking person has to analyze what’s on screen, not simply rubber-stamp it or kowtow to marketing.”m

“To me, everything does have a political component and I think it’s an interesting way to look at art. It’s one way that makes film reviewing, I think, a politically relevant form of journalism. We do live in a political world, and we bring our political sense to the movies with us – unless you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies and shuts off the outside world. I’m not that kind of person.”
~ Armond White to Luke Buckmaster