BYOB: Oscar 2016

byob_rock_Oscar

19 Responses to “BYOB: Oscar 2016”

1. Ryan says:

It doesn’t seem like the Academy members are doing themselves any favors with the public by filling out these “Brutally Honest” Oscar Ballots for THR. They all seem to vote for everything out of personal biases and show that the awards really have nothing to do with the filmmaking process, but rather the egos involved. Not that this is something new coming to light, but you would think that right now of all times, they would want to be more careful about how they are perceived.

2. JS Partisan says:

Ryan, they just don’t get it. The sooner they do. The better off film will be, because these fucking people seem to be the worst.

3. jepressman says:

Doesn’t Hollywood have a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng history of professional jealousy,you know backbiting petty nastiness. Revenge is a dish best served cold type stuff. Nobility and impartiallity,now that is for movie characters.

4. Hallick says:

So…is the hashtag now #diversitysoblack?

5. Hallick says:

Sigh…I’m just going to go ahead and call it now: The Hot Blog’s time of death is 9:15am PST, February 29, 2016.

6. JS Partisan says:

7. brack says:

Gotta say Rock was good at first, but went overboard, especially with the Compton theater bit, as if most white people ever heard of Spotlight either.

8. Hallick says:

“It’s the Oscars, and they were terribly boring. It’s not fun like box office discussion!”

When you can look at another movie blog and see upwards of 500+ comments on the show, but even the tumbleweeds and crickets aren’t over here, you still gotta say something’s dead.

9. Hcat says:

Personally I thought that was the best oscars in quite some time. I clicked away a bit but even with the extra time it didn’t seem to drag like previous years, some genuine surprises in the awards, and while I still would rather have clips than a song during the in memory section, it didn’t seem like a performance first this year ( though to end on Nimoy? I would have gone with Ohara or even Rickman)

Overall I would say this was the least painful since the first time Steve Martin hosted.

10. spassky says:

Where was Rivette… in memoriam is a joke!

11. Ray Pride says:

The Academy’s online In Memoriam has 136 figures, including Rivette and Abe Vigoda.

12. spassky says:

i’m aware of the online gallery, but this just strikes me as even more of a slap to the face — no snafu, only intentional omission. great.

13. Ray Pride says:

Agreed, Spassky. Badly produced, and hard-to-navigate online gallery ain’t a true substitute.

14. Mark F. says:

Cut out the stupid song category , and don’t leave people out of the “In Memoriam” section. Geez!

15. Mike says:

Since people are ALWAYS upset about the In Memorium, just cut the whole stupid thing.

16. spassky says:

OR include legends like Abe Vigoda and Jacques Rivette and leave out billionaire asshats like Kirk Kerkorian. AMPAS is a wonderful institution primarily for its education and preservation efforts, so I think more elements in the oscar show to highlight that would be appropriate.

17. Glamourboy says:

Yeah, I need a better movie blog….which other ones do you read?

18. leahnz says:

i remember watching the oscars ‘in memorium’ segments growing up, inevitably there would be a few ‘damn this thing is long’ and ‘gee a lot of people died last year’ sighs while watching it on the living room floor, but there was something special about it — the lights would dim in the theatre and the wistful orchestral music played over all the many names, usually with little video clips showing a snippet of what they did, many unknown names but then your personal fave dead person would come up on screen (sounds kind of macabre i know) and your chest hurt a little being reminded they’re gone, and you’d listen for how loud the audience applause for your fave was and then reflexively feel bad if the other dead people didn’t get as big a reaction, or bigger. i think it took up a whole segment of the telecast between ad breaks (or i just remember it that way); yes it was long and exhaustingly thorough and a bit boring, but for somebody watching, everyone on that honour roll was somebody’s fave dearly departed person who’ll be sorely missed. i think because they took the actual time to pause the show and honour the industry’s dead in such a way it seemed to really mean something, as opposed to today’s method where it’s a hurried list of names/faces with a celebrity musician presumably to hold interest, randomly whittled down, leaving people out so there’s time for another dumb segment about cookies or some such nonsense, kind of sad.

19. leahnz says:

‘in memoriam’, derp (tablet’s spellcheck is turned off)

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier