Friday Estimates by Stranded At #1 Klady

Friday Estimates 2015-10-10 at 9.02.20 AM

So… Friday…

The Martian is rolling along, a bit behind Gravity’s October records (with growing distance so far), but more than solid. It’s still not clear where this one is heading, aside from well over $100 million domestically. But that could be a $150 million domestic total… or $250 million. There’s really no way to know. The Ridley Scott movie it is closest to in terms of box office is Hannibal, which, obviously, was sold like a sequel.

The Martian is running ahead of Hotel Transylvania 2, though they will have similar second weekends.

13 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Stranded At #1 Klady”

1. Bulldog68 says:

C’Mon Dave, that’s a pretty wide guesstimate of somewhere between $150m and $250m. I think it’s a pretty safe bet, without doing any advanced mathematics that this may split the difference between Interstellar and Gravity and probably do somewhere between $200-$230m. That’s what the trajectory looks like.

2. movieman says:

The most interesting story is why/how “The Walk” missed so badly.

Any thoughts?
    Or does nobody even bother reading this blog anymore?
    It’s been crickets on here since TIFF.

3. Ray Pride says:

Cartoon Frenchmen are annoying?

4. Anthony says:

Why watch the Walk when you can watch Man On Wire? It’s Dogtown and Z-Boys vs. Lords of Dogtown all over again.

5. Hmmm says:

THE WALK has no reason to exist outside of Zemeckis farting around with some new toys.

6. PcChongor says:

I brought it up before, but for the vast majority of mouth breathers out there, the only reason to watch a highwire act is to see if they’re going to go splat.

The 3D is incredible, but that alone isn’t going to get anyone out to the theaters anymore, and neither is JGL.

7. Brandon says:

My guess is that WALK and MARTIAN are both chasing the same general core audience of literate adults, and that MARTIAN is easily first choice of the two. (It certainly was in my household, even though my partner and I are quite interested in seeing both films on the big screen — we caught MARTIAN Thursday evening and will try to catch up with WALK sometime this week. Plus, it’s pretty common knowledge that WALK has a happy ending, despite that nail-biter of a trailer.)

8. Brandon says:

Man, EVEREST just kinda died on the vine, too, didn’t it?

9. Amblinman says:

I agree with the reasoning on The Walk failing put forth by a few here: ultimately no one gives a shit about the subject. Also, I wonder if people might have actually been turned off by the idea of spending 2 hours staring at the Twin Towers.

10. Smith says:

There’s a lot of factors for The Walk’s failing – bad marketing materials, lousy release strategy, overwhelmingly strong competition from The Martian. Add in resistance from movie fans due to the Man on Wire factor, JGL’s hammy French accent, and lingering 9/11 anxiety about the Twin Towers, and it’s a perfect recipe for empty theaters all across the nation.

Meanwhile, I saw Carol yesterday at the New York Film Festival and *swoon.*

11. Amblinman says:

I think the 9/11 piece of it is interesting. Totally an anecdotal observation but I think people are at a point where they really do want to forget I think there’s an overall grieving fatigue where 9/11 is concerned.

12. Eric says:

“The Walk” is also as boring a title as can be.

13. movielocke says:

The walk fails because of the title. Give man on wire that title and it doesn’t even get accepted into festivals, much less an Oscar nom or win.

~ Robbie Collin