BYOB 101415

byobhumpday

15 Responses to “BYOB 101415”

1. movieman says:

Kind of suspected it, but was still surprised to read that Regal, Cinemark, et al won’t be playing “Paranormal Activity” or “Scout’s Guide” this month due to the shortened window between theatrical and VOD.
    I wonder if they’re already regretting that decision, especially w/ “Paranormal” since the franchise has been such a cash cow for the studio.

2. movieman says:

OMG.
    There’s going to be yet ANOTHER “Fantastic 4″ movie in 2020?!
    If at first–or three times, but who’s counting anymore?–you fail, try, try again.
    On top of yesterday’s news about “Die Hard 6″ (really? why?) and a new Godzilla vs. King Kong movie, I think Hollywood has officially run out of fresh ideas.
    Or any ideas period.

3. Doug R says:

I heard that Fox was swapping FF rights for X men TV rights, so FF would be done by Marvel.

4. movieman says:

Yeah, Doug. Marvel is doing the fourth attempt at “F4.”
    Doesn’t make the prospect of yet another go-round w/ those characters any less punitive-sounding to me. Of course, I’m not one of those people who genuflect at the name of “Marvel,” lol.

5. cadavra says:

“I think Hollywood has officially run out of fresh ideas.”

This idea itself was fresh in the ’90s.

6. movieman says:

You’re right, Cad. It just seems even more pronounced today than ever before.

7. cadavra says:

On another topic, there’s a rumor floating about–boosted by a notation on IMDb–that there will be 15/70 IMAX film prints of FORCE AWAKENS. Can anyone confirm or deny?

8. Nick Rogers says:

^^ They’re getting one at the Indiana State Museum IMAX in Indianapolis.

9. leahnz says:

it’s true…all of it

10. cadavra says:

Good news, thanks. Alas, there’s only one IMAX left in L.A. that kept the film projectors–the one at Universal City–and parking last time I was there (three years ago) was $15. Oh, well, some things a man can’t ride around.

11. Hcat says:

So I have massive reservations about Disney and Abrams, but damnit this latest SW trailer got me on board. The music and sound effects just hit my sweet spot. Has any filmmaker used sound as effectively as Lucas did? I swear the only reason I revisited Crystal Skull was to hear the punches and the sound of the whip. I had decided to skip Return of the Sith until I heard a Wookie in the trailer. His and William’s aural trappings are so buried in my psyche I can’t help but be drawn whenever I hear them.

12. Triple Option says:

@cadavra, I thought the IMAX at Howard Hughes Pkwy fka The Bridge had a film projector. They said that’s why they didn’t show Gravity because there were film prints of it.

13. Mike says:

Hcat, I felt exactly the same way about the trailer. Nothing in it really interests me all that much, but the music… damn.

14. Hcat says:

I will admit I might be over cynical, but does anyone have an example of when Disney has ever delivered the goods in live action? Even if you count touchstone they only have one action treasure (open range), they can make a Nate and Hayes but they have never made a Raiders of the lost Ark, or even a Temple of Doom.

15. cadavra says:

Triple: That IMAX is long gone–they dismantled it after ELYSIUM. It’s now an XD, which is Cinemark’s PLF brand.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump