Fantastic BYOB

fantastic-four-bernd eichinger

10 Responses to “Fantastic BYOB”

1. Doug R says:

Nine per cent? YIKES.
    Will take the family to see the 99% rated Shaun the Sheep this weekend. We are Wallace & Gromit fans back from when “A Grand Day Out” played the animation festival.

2. leahnz says:

armie hammer on the right there? time’s been kind

3. movieman says:

All the reasons “The Gift” is so good and wildly provocative (more “Cache” than “Unlawful Entry”) are precisely why it’ll probably get k.o.-ed by WOM.
    I’ve got a feeling that audiences are going to be mighty pissed off by that ending.
    Would love to be proven wrong.
    Surprise me for once, America.

“F4″? Sad in some many ways.

“Ricki” weirdly works despite myriad infelicities and the fact that Streep ain’t half the singer she (or Demme) thinks she is.
    Figured there would be more of a built-in audience for this than there apparently is.
    Guess even her fans have a hard time accepting La Meryl as a sixtysomething rock-and-roller.

4. movieman says:

“Sad in SO many ways.”

Most especially for Trank.
    And Teller and Jordan, of course.

5. Kevin says:

FANTASTIC FOUR is actually okay. Not great (or fantastic ha ha), but not nearly as bad as it’s been made up to be.

Well, it could have used more action and less lab scenes… And (Dr.?) Doom is the worst big-screen supervillain ever, no doubt.

But I got into the whole origin story and found the characters/actors involving enough.

6. michael bergeron says:

The Fantastic Four were my bread and butter as a young lad, but the previous films in the FF canon were hampered by their, quite frankly, lousy effects. As I took the gentle memory of that early reading material and became a man I sought a perspective on my childhood heroes from a sexual point of view. Surely, Reed could extend his dick to boing across the room. And Sue would remain invisible save for her thermal heat pussy signal. Ben Grimm would slay with his rock hard cock and Johnny Storm could turn up the temperature in a casual sexual encounter by escalating the temp of his hard-on to degrees of hotness only felt by the gods of Hindu folklore. Now in the year 2015 I’m an old dude and just want to be entertained with snappy retorts and brilliant action sequences. The Fantastic Four does not want to play ball. At least not on the level playing field of finding what makes the clockwork of these people tick.

7. For a while I thought Marvel was conspiring to destroy Fox’s ‘Fantastic Four’ but now I believe Fox made some mistakes along the way. Lucasfilm and Disney must feel validated for excluiding Trank from Star Wars.

8. CG says:

It’s kind of mind-boggling that Roger Corman’s FF movie had the most comics-accurate-looking Invisible Woman.

9. Pete B. says:

^ It also had the most accurate Dr. Doom.

10. John E. says:

Didn’t realize Johnny was The Boy Who Could Fly.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch