BYOB Humpday

byobhumpday

24 Responses to “BYOB Humpday”

1. Triple Option says:

I re-watched Can’t Buy Me Love over the w/e after hearing the bumming news of Amanda Peterson’s death. It was much funnier than I was expecting. I also thought if that movie had been made today, there would’ve been more revealed but some lines prolly would’ve been cut. I thought Amanda was so good in it. I always thought she should’ve gotten more work. I half expected to watch it this time and see a hamfisted or stagnant performance but definitely not the case.

I started thinking of others who I would have expected to have had a bigger career. No need to weep for her, but Meg Tilly I would’ve expected to have a more boisterous career. I was too young to appreciate (or get) The Big Chill when I saw it on video but that Body Snatcher movie she did for HBO was good. I also thought she was amazing in Leaving Normal. Then it was more about her sister, whom I like, I just thought Meg could’ve had a career along the lines of Laura Linney in terms of variety and consistency or Holly Hunter.

Franka Potente has worked, just not in things I nor much of the world have seen. The Bourne series, sure, but you know, not her film. I didn’t even realize she was on The Bridge or I would’ve tuned in. I would’ve thought superhero, sitcom mom or lawyer on a network show these days for her. Maybe those wouldn’t be as rewarding but just would’ve thought more prominent on the dial or silver screen.

2. Stella's Boy says:

Potente was great on The Bridge (man I miss that show so much). Freaky and weird and extremely compelling. Really enjoyed her performance. That show had a great cast.

I think Pixels is the first time I’ve seen an Adam Sandler movie sold without Sandler. I’ve seen a bunch of TV spots (two young kids at home) and they show Josh Gad and Peter Dinklage prominently, and some don’t show even a glimpse of Sandler or Kevin James.

3. Stella's Boy says:

Damn Emmy Awards. No Justified or The Americans love. Boo. I quit Homeland after season 4. Was season 5 really that good? I need to watch Better Call Saul sometime. And why do they love House of Cards so much? I’ve season the first two seasons and it’s decent trash at best.

4. Bulldog68 says:

Homeland Season 5 starts in October. I’m still a fan.

5. Stella's Boy says:

Oh I’m sorry. I meant I bailed after 3 seasons. How is season 4? Worthy of a best drama nom?

6. Pete B says:

“Damn Emmy Awards.” On that we agree. Still no love for Eva Green killing it on Penny Dreadful. And yes, Justified desired better too.

7. Stella's Boy says:

Oh thanks Pete I forgot all about her. She is absolutely incredible on that show (which had a great second season) and fully deserving of an Emmy nom.

Now I’m intrigued Bulldog. I need to try and make time for Homeland.

8. Hcat says:

Funny Eva Greene was the first person who came to mind with the above question on who we thought was going to be a big star and didn’t break through. After dreamers heaven and bond I thought she was going to be huge, but alas we don’t seem to have as much room for movie stars anymore and if people want star vehicles they get sent to television.

9. Pete B says:

10. Hallick says:

“Another lady who deserved an Emmy nod was Carrie Coon. She’s the only reason to watch HBO’s The Leftovers.”

But then a reason like that doesn’t help get people to watch the show to find her.

11. Doug R says:

You can’t mention Franka Potente without metioning Run Lola Run and The Princess and The Warrior. Wonderful early Tom Twyker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHuoieRNzo

12. EtGuild2 says:

REVENANT trailer:

BOW TO YOUR GOD, Emmanuel Lubezki

13. Smith says:

That Revenant trailer is absolutely stunning. Visual style is very close to Lubezski’s work on The New World, maybe a bit more grounded.

Also, has it been widely discussed anywhere that this is essentially a remake of Man in the Wilderness? I know this is based on a book and yada yada, but it’s the same people, story, etc. I don’t remember that movie real well, but I think the bear attack was pretty harrowing.

14. Stella's Boy says:

Wow that trailer is a stunner. Thank you for alerting me to it. Didn’t they only film a couple hours a day and use only natural light, or something like that?

15. YancySkancy says:

Triple Option: There actually was a remake of CAN’T BUY ME LOVE in 2003 titled LOVE DON’T COST A THING. It starred Nick Cannon and Christina Milian and was directed by actress Troy Beyer (who for some reason spells her last name “Byer” now). I frankly don’t remember much about it, other than the fact that it wasn’t as good as the original.

16. movieman says:

I’m vastly more enthused about Fox’s two Xmas Day releases (“Revenant” and “Joy”) than in their 3,000-pound December gorilla.
    People have been shitting on the “Joy” trailer all week because it doesn’t spell out the storyline and only gives a taste of what’s to come.
    Isn’t that what “teaser” trailers are supposed to do?
    On that count, it succeeds. Brilliantly.
    I can’t wait for both movies.
    (Very dim recollection of “Man in the Wilderness,” but I don’t remember liking it very much when I saw it in 8th grade. At the time, it felt like part of Richard Harris’ western-masochism series that began the previous year w/ “A Man Called Horse.”)

17. Martin says:

What’s the unarguable Ant-Man bust threshold? < 60?

It should be 75, but estimates were greatly deflated before opening.

18. Smith says:

movieman, I figured if anyone on here had seen Man In the Wilderness, it would be you!

19. js partisan says:

No, movie, it’s another David O. Russell film, where he cast a the same twenty something to play a middle-aged woman, when there are plenty of qualified middle-aged actress out there to do the part. It’s also, aping the shit out of Scorcese, and Russell needs to stop doing that shit. It’s fucking annoying.

You know what else had a cool first trailer? The New World.

20. Smith says:

The New World is a masterpiece.

21. movieman says:

I second that, Smith.

22. leahnz says:

the photography/natural light aesthetic on ‘the revenant’ sounds interesting but i must admit after hearing about it i was hoping to see some really beautiful use of natural colour in the snow/forest settings — and yet the colour in the revenant trailer looks dulled-down and unnaturally (purposefully) in the orange/green spectrum to me (the same thing sort of bugged me re the ‘fury road’ trailer initially but at the end of the day that movie’s aesthetic was so bonkers and not in any way meant to be ‘natural’ so it turned out to be a non-issue). having just come from a brief foray in the snow it struck me how even in really shitty grey weather the touches of colour – in everything from the shades of green in the trees to the pop of pink of people’s skin – were so vivid and stark and yet delicate, but i saw none of that in the revenant trailer aesthetic in supposedly ‘all-natural light’ (maybe that doesn’t extend to all-natural colour though, my assumption), i’m a bit taken aback and sceptical now of the all-naturalness – does anyone do actual natural colour now?

23. YancySkancy says:

JOY supposedly follows its title character from age 10 to 40. Presumably, J-Law will not play the younger Joy, but she’s nearly 25, can play more mature than her years, and film history is rife with actors using make-up to put across the passage of time. I’ll bet she pulls it off.

24. movieman says:

I’ll bet she pulls it off.

Me, too, Yancy.
    J-Law has pretty much reached the “can do no wrong” point for me.
    As have Russell and Cooper for that matter.

(And, yeah, I really liked “Serena,” too. One of the year’s most underrated movies.)

movieman on: BYOBlog