Friday Estimates by Twice Around Klady

Friday Estimates 2015-06-27 at 8.14.55 AM

It’s a box office weekend. There is a lot going on, but nothing terribly interesting.

Max may be the best story of the weekend. A niche movie that will open to $11-$15 million. Once again, America’s heartland is showing up “unexpectedly.”

Ted 2 is the other wide opener and it should land in the mid-30s. Friday was 37% off the original opening and if this follows through the weekend, the opening should be around $36 million. The film will be much more than 37% off its domestic total in the end, but profitability is still likely and international could boost it to being significantly profitable.

Inside Out once again commands the top Friday gross, but Jurassic World keeps playing like a family film hit and actually closed the Friday gap, so there is a likelihood that the dinos will once again be the #1 Movie In The World for the third weekend. And once again, don’t cry for Inside Out, which will have one of the best second weekends ever for the hugely successful Pixar brand.

Not much happening at the arthouses, with even the heart-filling Batkid Begins unable to stir much of a crowd.

6 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Twice Around Klady”

1. Pete B says:

Just curious why this weekend was chosen to release the reissue of The Third Man when it aired Friday night on TCM as part of their ‘Summer of Darkness’.

Bet it looked glorious on the big screen though.

2. EtGuild2 says:

If last week was the weekend of “indies that deserved better,” this was the weekend of head-scratching weirdness. BIG GAME and ADVANTAGEOUS….wtf? And did I really watch a Benicio Del Toro portrayal of Pablo Escobar get pushed aside for Josh Hutcherson as a dim-witted surfer?

And holy crap, FELT gave me nightmares.

3. cadavra says:

Pete: TCM books months in advance. Rialto, which does not have TV rights, couldn’t have known. But it’s only on two screens so far, and since it’s been on TV and available on home video for decades, it’s not really a problem, as the only people who are going to attend are those who actually want to see it in a theatre.

4. Kevin says:

I saw THE THIRD MAN at the Cinémathèque 10-15 years ago. It was amazing.

In other news, today I saw ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL. Hated it. What’s the deal with all the Sundance love?

5. Pete B. says:

Cadavra: As TCM has been promoting their Summer of Darkness for awhile, I was just surprised the reissue wasn’t done prior, or unofficially in conjunction with it.

But you’re correct in that its for folks who want to see it in the theater. Doubtful it makes it to the Midwest for me to enjoy.

6. Jake says:

I saw the 4K restoration of The Third Man at the BFI theater in London yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. I believe it is a British funded restoration and while some here (the UK) may know what TCM is, quite frankly, Scarlett, they don’t give a damn.
    The restoration is very good but It has been six or seven months since I re-watched my Criterion Blu Ray so I don’t really know how much better the 4K version is. There is still a very noticeable difference between the black saturation of the studio shot interiors and the Vienna shot daylight exteriors. The exterior night scenes, the sewer scenes and all the interior scenes are absolutely spectacular however.

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz