BYOB Cannes

byob speedy

8 Responses to “BYOB Cannes”

1. Pete B. says:

I know it’s going to be discussed in the box office write-ups, but WOW does George Miller deliver in MM:FR. Chrome & Shiny indeed.

2. PTA Fluffer says:

MM:FR is a staggering work of cinema. An all-timer. Among many other things it is also quite the trenchant allegory about mankind heading over the fossil fuel cliff, not to mention the strongest statement of female empowerment since, well, probably ever.

3. Amblinman says:

I swear I’m going to root for an actual fucking apocalypse when Pitch Perfect 2 beats Max this weekend.

4. Kevin says:

MM:FR is the best movie I’ve seen in forever. Maybe since AVATAR.

5. Bulldog68 says:

I instantly wanted to hit repeat when Mad Max was over. An awesome cinematic experience. I’m still high from its octane fumes.

Dave, I’d really be interested in your review. I’m always cautious when a movie receives such universal pre-release praise, and inevitably let down, but man does this deserve every one of those glowing reviews.

6. AdamL says:

Saw MM last night – thought the 3D was worth it personally and a very good film.

The Jurassic World trailer that played before had me wondering if I have ever seen a worse trailer in my life however. That film looks about as wretched as any film can be.

7. EtGuild2 says:

Seems the theme at Cannes is “Year of the Batshit,” between “Tale of Tales,” Gasper Noe’s “Love” and “The Lobster.”

8. Triple Option says:

I caught up to Ultron this w/e. Holy crap, this isn’t a brand new phenomenon but it was so nauseating seeing ALL the freckin’ movie in the trailers for the upcoming films. Seriously, can you stop? Signed, The World. It reminds me of high school, burning through some movie on vhs to pick out the gist of it for a test I would take of it in Lit. They play so many of them. The clips show too much. I’m already disoriented by the volume of sound and quantity of ads they blast while waiting for the film to start, now I have to the unpleasant experience of seeing spoilers to films I was borderline on seeing to begin with.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump