BYOB Oscar Nominations

byoboscarweek650

OScar nominee box office 2015-01-15 at 7.25.23 AM

27 Responses to “BYOB Oscar Nominations”

1. Stella's Boy says:

Posting this again here. Sorry for posting twice.

I’m really disappointed that Gyllenhaal didn’t get nominated and that Selma didn’t get more love. I haven’t seen all of the nominees, but it’s hard for me to imagine performances better than David Oyelowo and Carmen Ejogo, or direction better than Anna Duvernay’s. Glad it got a best pic nom though. And while I know some people had issues with Nightcrawler’s content, specifically the second act, I don’t think many objected to Gyllenhaal’s performance. He is electric and amazing and really deserved a nomination.

2. spassky says:

What happened to “Gone Girl” … ?? I am actually quite shocked by this

3. MarkVH says:

OUTRAGE! FURY! DISGUST!

4. MAGGA says:

With that kind of box office for quality movies there’s no wonder America rarely makes them anymore.

5. Jarod says:

So I guess the use of box office totals as any kind of predictor for a nomination/win is officially dead? Any detailed analysis of this anywhere? David? Is this the result of the change in voting? Has this improved the nominee list, or just made it less relevant?

6. theschu says:

Every year around this time people talk about the kinds of movies they don’t make anymore. Except every year around this time those kinds of movies are released.

7. KrazyEyes says:

I was kinda hoping for a wildcard nomination for Tom Hardy in Locke but otherwise it’s a pretty safe and expected list. Once again, the endless parade of pundits and prognostication has drained all the excitement out of the process. Onto 2015…

8. EtGuild2 says:

You really think “Fury” had a chance Mark?

Whining about “Lego Movie” aside, I think it’s cool that two indies snuck into animated feature.

The documentary nominees were straight up bizarre on the other hand.

So what are the odds for Deakins going 0 for 12? I don’t think the clamor has reached fever pitch yet. He’s still shy of Alex North’s run of 0 for 14 for Best Song and O’donnell’s 0 for 20 run for Best Sound Mixing.

Btw Alexandre Desplat could make it 0 for 8 this year.

9. Lux says:

Maybe it has been talked about in all the previous award threads this season but Boyhood not getting a Best Actor nomination is a joke. Is the boy in BOYhood just a prop or did I watch a different movie? I know he didn’t put on makeup and a fake nose but what a joke. Can someone please have the balls to ask Bradley Cooper if he thinks he deserves it over Ellar Coltrane? Yes Ellar shouldn’t win but it certainly wasn’t a worse performance than what Carrell or Cooper put forward.

10. JsPartisan says:

There’s only one thing to take away from these nominations: the Academy is still too god damn old, and still too god damn white. Yeah. Yeah. They gave it to “12 Year a Slave,” but they overlooked the director. They had a chance this year to nominate an African American woman, and they nominated that asshole from “The Imitation Game.” The world has changed, and these fucker still do not get it.

11. leahnz says:

nuke the entire site from orbit. it’s the only way to be sure.

12. EtGuild2 says:

To be fair re: Ava DuVernay, it’s not just the Academy who ignored her. Her excellent previous feature’ “Middle of Nowhere,” wasn’t even given a godamm DVD/streaming release until this week despite coming out over 2 years ago.

13. Mike says:

Maybe it just has to do with that Selma wasn’t that great of a movie and Imitation Game was? Nah, it must be racism/sexism.

14. Daniel says:

Imitation Game is NOT a great movie, and in fact, it wimps out in the story’s most important moments: Turing’s desires and his suicide. Selma might not also be a great film (Tom Wilkinson is laughably miscast), but as a movie it reaches higher for trying to immerse people in the ugliness and randomness of the violence. It fails in parts of the storytelling, but in its key moments, it exceeds many of the other nominees in its ambition. Also, Oyelowo truly was snubbed. Cumberbatch as much as I like him as an actor was typecast in a variation of his Sherlock performance.

15. JsPartisan says:

Mike doesn’t seem to understand the words, “WHITE PRIVILEGE.” The Academy screams those two words, and that’s a problem for the future of this fucking award show.

16. leahnz says:

anyone who’d seriously argue that the academy doens’t have a (straight) white male bias is deluded, either willfully or just ignorant – look at the make-up of the academy itself, overwhelmingly white and male, it’s institutionalised.
    As a voting body they typically choose fairly convensional, middlebrow movies featuring stories about dudes who look like them made by dudes who look like them, conditioned to think that’s what’s ‘best’ (which is horseshit, of course). sure there are occational exceptions and outliers here and there with the academy, but in general it’s a pretty perfect representation/example of the type of bias at the root of much of the sexism and racism in society, fuelled by an awards campaign ‘industry’ that mostly bolsters the status quo. and really, it can go fuck itself.
    but not suprising. what’s suprising is when something breaks though the white boy bubble. this year does seem particularly insipid, blech.

17. BoulderKid says:

Why is everyone talking about the nominations when today is Blackhat-eve?

18. EtGuild2 says:

“Blackhat” has to have some of the most hilariously polarized reviews in many a moon. I can’t remember the last time A-list critics like Dargis and O’Sullivan were so divergent.

19. Hallick says:

All of the sturm and drang over the Oscar nominations would carry a bit more heft if people would use examples other than “Selma” for what should have gotten nominations instead of all those whites and males. For christ’s sake, one person can’t make a fist for Jennifer Kent?

20. YancySkancy says:

Man, I think I’m getting too old for this shit. All the talk of “snubs” drives me nuts. A surprise omission is not a snub. BLENDED got snubbed. TRANSFORMERS 4 got snubbed. Oyelewo, DuVernay, et al, are surprise omissions. Folks who were expected to get nominated and weren’t. Each likely finished sixth in their respective categories. The Academy hated the film so much they nominated it for Best Picture.

Look back over the history of the Academy’s choices. If you’ve seen most of the nominees, as I have, and also seen tons of non-nominated films, you’ll likely realize that your own choices for the best of a given year will not closely match theirs. And really, why would they? I think when I was about 16 I realized that they’re the Academy Awards, not the “YancySkancy” Awards, and I cooled my jets. Of course I’m still not happy if a favorite gets left out or some mediocrity (or worse) finds favor, but we’re talking molehills, not mountains.

21. Foamy says:

JS – that’s not what White Privilege is. White Privilege is when you assume that the conditions you face are the same for everyone else. “Why don’t minorities just make more Oscar-worthy films?” would be an example as it fails to understand the barriers minorities face in the industry.

“I think X is better than Y (and I vote accordingly)” is bias, not privilege.

22. JS Partisan says:

Yes, squirrel, that sums up Mike point, and could also be used to sum up the bullshit known as this year’s… Oscar nominations.

23. EtGuild2 says:

Just got back from “The Wedding Ringer.” With all the recent discussion re: homophobia, I feel like the worst mainstream on-screen example in several years is about to be overlooked. I can’t remember being more stunned since “Why Did I Get Married Too” (admittedly even worse, but it approached parody) and “Wild Hogs.”

What century are we in? I know he was doing it as schtick, but Kevin Hart made a serious mistake in judgment in bouncing around in segment after segment and on-stage at the Globes declaring this his masterwork. It’s aggressively backward and awful.

And it’s tracking near $30 million this weekend, and will probably double the gross of “The Imitation Game.” But it’s already escaped the Hollywood Echo Chamber.

24. Daniella Isaacs says:

The cinematography in SELMA was historically good. It will be in textbooks in five years, not for its landscape shots but for its capturing of dark skin colors with almost Rembrandt-like brilliance. Mark my words, it’s gonna be studied and copied for decades. Shoulda been nominated, but then again the Cinematography branch didn’t even get the first two GODFATHER film’s nominated.

25. cadavra says:

The Cinematography branch had a real hard-on against NY-based DPs for ages, and Gordon Willis in particular (he had made some remarks that some interpreted as “anti-Hollywood”). His “slots” in 1972 and 1974 went to BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE and EARTHQUAKE, while MANHATTAN was snubbed in favor of THE BLACK HOLE. He was only nominated twice–for ZELIG and GODFATHER III–which is why he was belatedly given an Honorary Oscar in 2009; I believe he’s only the second DP to date to receive one, after Jack Cardiff.

26. leahnz says:

just wanted to +1 Daniella’s comment about Bradford young’s photography in ‘selma’, really beautiful and special, a serious talent

27. spassky says:

Agree with lots being said in past few days, but… disappointing to see two different vital conversations be lumped together through “Selma” nomination omissions — First being reflections of systemic cultural bias and the second being how actual quality seems to be passed over… I need to see “Selma” again to determine the quality of direction and Oyelowo (though, I’m sure they’re better than some of the nominees) but Bradford Young’s work in the movie is god-like.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier