Friday Estimates by Yeah, He Stayed Klady

friday estimates 2014-08-23 at 8.53.13 AM

Welcome to the dregs of August. And even so, a $16m-plus opening for Chloë Grace Moretz is pretty good. It ain’t The Fault In Our Stars, but then again, Chloë doesn’t have a YA franchise she is fronting, nor is this based on material that had such a strong position in the culture. It is a better opening than Endless Love. And it’s a 5% improvement (on the day) over the other film in which Ms. Moretz had an above-the-title role, Carrie.

Meanwhile, Sin City 2 turns out to have box office to be killed by. Opening day is a massive 78% off the original film, which is a fairly good sign that the Geek Middle Class bailed on this one. I suspect that the vast majority of the weekend audience for the film will be Hard Core Geek. And as with most cases of that happening, look for a steep fall off on the film in weekend two, after having squeezed all the blood out of that group. I don’t see it reaching $20 million domestically. The first film had a better number overseas than here, so it is possible that international will pull the fat out of the fire for Weinstein.

Beating SC2 was When The Game Stands Tall, a half-ass pre-Rothman Tri-Star release, with an inspirational football coach played by former Jesus, Jim Caviezel. Is the crown for the film of faith? Could be. There was apparently a reach-out to that community. I am not a believer in chart placement as an issue, but the irony of turning the other cheek beating out showing every possible cheek is amusing.

Holds are looking quite good in this weekend of pretty soft, niche releases. Guardians 31%, Fri-to-Fri. Turtles, 44%. Cops, 44%. Hundred Foot Journey, 23%. The films that got smushed (Giver, Expendables, Storm… 57%, 68%, 54%) were all actioners with unhappy critical response and, apparently, word of mouth.

Guardians will become the #1 domestic film of the summer today and could be #1 domestic for the year as soon as next weekend. Ironically, international is its weak point. It’s unlikely that the film will crack the Top 5 for the year-to-date worldwide, even with some big markets yet to open. It would need to do $200m internationally, doubling its current figure, to get to $700 million worldwide and $100 million is a lot more likely. No shame in that. Iron Man also took time to get hold internationally, then finally blew up to over $800 million overseas alone for #3.

Love Is Strange is the indie opening winner of the week, looking to average better than $20k per on 5 screens. All the other openers will be in four-digit per-screens.

10 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Yeah, He Stayed Klady”

1. Joe Leydon says:

I realize that my memory may not be what it used to be. But when the first Sin City opened — wasn’t it repeatedly proclaimed “the future of movies” by some smug little jackass who used to post here?

2. Maniac Cop says:

A big reason SIN CITY performed so dismally is that it’s only playing (at least from what I can tell) in 3D. Nobody’s going to pay $15 for a movie they’re on the fence about seeing in the first place.

3. I have the feeling that “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I” will be the domestic box office champion of 2014.

The funny thing, Joe, is that even though Sin City 2 is a low example of the form, the unreal, not terribly coherent, action-is-all-that-matters aesthetic is pretty rampant these days.

5. JS Partisan says:

I’m going to go with the sin city number, being a repudiation of Frank Miller. That’s what I am going with.

6. Pete B. says:

The wife & I were the only ones in the theater for the first 3D showing of SC: ADTKF today. Not a good sign.

All I can say is thank Heaven for Eva Green!

7. EtGuild2 says:

I was with you until I remembered that international grosses are your personal kryptonite. The truth is, no one, studio included, has any real idea how GUARDIANS is going to play in China and Japan, so making any kind of projection is an exercise in futility and stupidity.

8. brack says:

To top it off, it appears Frank Miller is dying or at the very least extremely ill.

9. spassky says:

As someone who lives in China, a lot of young people I’ve talked to are pretty psyched for GoTG (and of course, all expats are pretty up on it). Of course, totally anecdotal, so we’ll see.

10. Christian says:

Did “The Giver” get “smushed” if its weekend was off 45% – the same as the “quite good” Friday-to-Friday drop of “Turtles” and “Cops”? I realize it’s 45% off a much smaller number, but 45% seems like a respectable, if not great, hold.

“BATTLE OF THE SEXES: Politics and queerness as spectacle/spectacle as politics and queerness. Pretty delightful, lovely, erotic. A-

“Not since EASY A and CABARET have I seen Emma Stone give a real sense of her range. Here, she has pathos and interiority and desire. I love the cinematography and the ways in which the images of the tennis icons are refracted and manipulated via various surfaces/mediators. Also, wild how a haircut is one of the most erotic scenes in cinema this year. Spine tinglingly tactile that feels refreshing. Proof that *cough* you don’t need to be ~graphic/explicit~ to be erotic *cough*. Also, it made me want to get into tennis. Watching it, at least.

“There are interesting touches and intimations as to the cinematic nature of sports, & unpacking the formal approach of broadcasting sports.Also, I was here for Sarah Silverman smoking. And also, hi Mickey Sumner!! It’s a really interesting film about the ways in which public spectacle is never apolitical, and how spectacle is prone to assignation.

“There’s this one other scene from BATTLE OF THE SEXES that I love, and it’s the one in the bar. You see Billie looking after Marilyn as she dances. Through a crowd. There’s a paradoxical closeness and distance between them. In the purple light, and the kitschy decor, everything is distorted. But Billie catches a glance and you can feel the nervous swell inside.”
~ Kyle Turner

“Our business is complicated because intimacy is part and parcel of our profession; as actors we are paid to do very intimate things in public. That’s why someone can have the audacity to invite you to their home or hotel and you show up. Precisely because of this we must stay vigilant and ensure that the professional intimacy is not abused. I hope we are in a pivotal moment where a sisterhood — and brotherhood of allies — is being formed in our industry. I hope we can form a community where a woman can speak up about abuse and not suffer another abuse by not being believed and instead being ridiculed. That’s why we don’t speak up — for fear of suffering twice, and for fear of being labeled and characterized by our moment of powerlessness. Though we may have endured powerlessness at the hands of Harvey Weinstein, by speaking up, speaking out and speaking together, we regain that power. And we hopefully ensure that this kind of rampant predatory behavior as an accepted feature of our industry dies here and now. Now that we are speaking, let us never shut up about this kind of thing. I speak up to make certain that this is not the kind of misconduct that deserves a second chance. I speak up to contribute to the end of the conspiracy of silence.”
Lupita Nyong’o