Trailer: Out Of Print

The film is about the New Beverly revival house in Los Angeles and the future of film.

6 Responses to “Trailer: Out Of Print”

1. cadavra says:

Wow! I’m in this! How very cool. :-)

2. Kevin says:

No mention of Tarantino?

3. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Very weird Tarantino is not in this. Not only is he the directors boss, he’s the obvious A lister apart from Nolan to talk to about digital takeover.

4. berg says:

I haven’t seen the film but just because he’s not in the trailer doesn’t mean he isn’t in the film

5. cadavra says:

The IMDb does not list him in the cast. It’s possible he declined to appear precisely because he owns the building. Not much of a reason, I grant you, but what else could it be? Certainly not modesty, and this was shot over a long period of time, so he must have been in town at some point.

6. Jason Kelly says:

Hi David,

Got an award winning filmmaker eager to chat with you (u r DP/30 David Poland, right?).

Pls contact me if you r: scott-jamesagency@att.com

Thanks.

Jason Kelly
    Literary Agent
    Scott-James Talent Agency

“I don’t really believe in guilty pleasures. I like to subscribe to Susan Sontag’s thought of no highs and lows. I think dismissing popular culture and popular films can be really dangerous because they may seem innocuous, but some are works of art and even when they’re not they can say so much about the culture that they’re reflecting. This also gets into the idea of canon. What is good and isn’t good? Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about that. Specifically, who writes these canons? Mainly, straight white guys — which basically rigs the system. So, if you have a knowledge of female filmmakers, queer filmmakers, African or Asian filmmakers, some people won’t give them the same culture capital. They’ll say, “Oh, that’s nice niche knowledge.” No, it’s not. You’re just seeing it through the prism of something white and male. Like Shonda Rhimes’ ‘Scandal.’ I love that show, but is it a guilty pleasure because it’s a soap on TV? No. I think it has incredible writing, incredible thought and characters, so we should take it seriously. That’s a long-winded answer to say, “Yes, I love Titanic.” I was 10 years old when it came out and my mom took me to see it three times. I was so obsessed with it. A big thanks to my mom who’ll never get those nine hours of her life back.”
~ Toronto Int’l Programmer and Critic Kiva Reardon

“A lot of us felt blindsided,” Van Vliet told me. In the seventies, Van Vliet was drafted out of film school by Industrial Light & Magic, where he worked on The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now 62 and semi-retired, he said, “Once you get into your fifties, you’re pretty disposable.” Van Vliet was in the middle of reviewing DVD screeners before casting his Oscar votes, a process he estimated would take a hundred and twenty hours. “The Academy is essentially asking us to give them three weeks of labor, and then they’re going to take our results, put them into a ceremony, and sell it,” he said, referring to the seventy-five million dollars that the organization earns from the television broadcast. “Then they’re turning around and kicking us in the teeth.”
~ “Shakeup At The Oscars”