Z

Trailer: Interstellar

11 Responses to “Trailer: Interstellar”

1. leahnz says:

eeee i’ve learned to never trust trailers so grain of salt and all, but has Nolan recently gone grey by chance? looks like another case of ‘RSS’ – maudlin, heavy-handed, overwrought (perhaps, much like Fincher, Nolan should stick to the dark, unseemly places and give a wide berth to sentimentality, not a strong suit – don’t ‘ben button’ it nolan, good lord don’t ben button).

and dear beloved (not) new-school trailer-cutters, you little minxes: tears must be EARNED, not forcibly dribbled down the throat, this thing just raises my ‘i wouldn’t cry in your boo-hoo movie if YOU paid ME’ hackles, geeze

which brings me to something perhaps more genuinely troubling about this: i don’t feel matt mcC in ‘super serious straight-up drama’ mode, there’s something missing, some spark/charm/charisma/wonder that’s lost when he’s not allowed to somehow incorporate and engage his natural impish smarm in a role — not to the degree of his early work obviously – he seems to have evolved and progressed from his early smarm to more well-rounded, complex realms – but rather to use that natural energy inherent to his sensibility to shape a complete character, like he does so effectively and compellingly in ‘mud’; when that part of him is completely supressed, like it appears here, he feels a bit of an empty vessel, i don’t approve. but again, trailers – can’t live with em, can’t shoot em.

2. Nick Rogers says:

As you’ve said, I think it’s impossible to intuit from 2 1/2 minutes of footage whether any of these things are a problem. I certainly didn’t think Man of Steel was going to be an interminable slog based on its triumphant trailer.

3. leahnz says:

yeah, for sure, kind of a bizarro-world example — but in a way that has me even more taken aback with this rather long slog of an ‘interstellar’ trailer, so dour and bereft of any excitement or energy or suspense, if it’s a case of bait-n-switch for a movie that’s actually not a dirge it’s a strange strategy

4. movieman says:

“Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001″- “Interstellar”?

5. Eric says:

This is strangely… untwisty? There has to be more going on than the trailer lets on, right?

6. Bodhizefa says:

It’s a weird trailer in that it’s fairly maudlin but also with hints of Nolan time distortion/panache.

7. leahnz says:

” “Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001″- “Interstellar”? ”

+ the AT&T ad from ‘dumb and dumber’

8. SamLowry says:

Thanks for posting this here, Dave; I tried to watch this on the official website days ago but even with the “secret” code it still didn’t work.

So, I’m predicting the sun’s turning into a red giant–a tad prematurely–and if everyone isn’t moved off-world in a few years then they’re all going to fry. It would be much easier to move everyone someplace closer that isn’t habitable now but will be afterward, but since they’re not doing that then maybe something even more dire is happening with the sun.

Or maybe it’s just a secret remake of FLASH GORDON.

Anyway, here’s my equation:

UNTAMED + WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE – MELANCHOLIA

9. Pete B. says:

Nick, I think you got your movies mixed. Prometheus was an “interminable slog” after a “triumphant” trailer.

10. Mariamu says:

I’m excited.

11. Nick Rogers says:

Pete: I didn’t get them mixed. “Prometheus” was just the 2012 edition of the same problem.

“Chad Harbach spent ten years writing his novel. It was his avocation, for which he was paid nothing, with no guarantee he’d ever be paid anything, while he supported himself doing freelance work, for which I don’t think he ever made $30,000 a year. I sold his book for an advance that equated to $65,000 a year—before taxes and commission—for each of the years of work he’d put in. The law schools in this country churn out first-year associates at white-shoe firms that pay them $250,000 a year, when they’re twenty-five years of age, to sit at a desk doing meaningless bullshit to grease the wheels of the corporatocracy, and people get upset about an excellent author getting $65,000 a year? Give me a fucking break.”
~ Book Agent Chris Parris-Lamb On The State Of The Publishing Industry

INTERVIEWER
Do you think this anxiety of yours has something to do with being a woman? Do you have to work harder than a male writer, just to create work that isn’t dismissed as being “for women”? Is there a difference between male and female writing?

FERRANTE
I’ll answer with my own story. As a girl—twelve, thirteen years old—I was absolutely certain that a good book had to have a man as its hero, and that depressed me. That phase ended after a couple of years. At fifteen I began to write stories about brave girls who were in serious trouble. But the idea remained—indeed, it grew stronger—that the greatest narrators were men and that one had to learn to narrate like them. I devoured books at that age, and there’s no getting around it, my models were masculine. So even when I wrote stories about girls, I wanted to give the heroine a wealth of experiences, a freedom, a determination that I tried to imitate from the great novels written by men. I didn’t want to write like Madame de La Fayette or Jane Austen or the Brontës—at the time I knew very little about contemporary literature—but like Defoe or Fielding or Flaubert or Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky or even Hugo. While the models offered by women novelists were few and seemed to me for the most part thin, those of male novelists were numerous and almost always dazzling. That phase lasted a long time, until I was in my early twenties, and it left profound effects.
~ Elena Ferrante, Paris Review Art Of Fiction No. 228