Trailer: Interstellar

11 Responses to “Trailer: Interstellar”

1. leahnz says:

eeee i’ve learned to never trust trailers so grain of salt and all, but has Nolan recently gone grey by chance? looks like another case of ‘RSS’ – maudlin, heavy-handed, overwrought (perhaps, much like Fincher, Nolan should stick to the dark, unseemly places and give a wide berth to sentimentality, not a strong suit – don’t ‘ben button’ it nolan, good lord don’t ben button).

and dear beloved (not) new-school trailer-cutters, you little minxes: tears must be EARNED, not forcibly dribbled down the throat, this thing just raises my ‘i wouldn’t cry in your boo-hoo movie if YOU paid ME’ hackles, geeze

which brings me to something perhaps more genuinely troubling about this: i don’t feel matt mcC in ‘super serious straight-up drama’ mode, there’s something missing, some spark/charm/charisma/wonder that’s lost when he’s not allowed to somehow incorporate and engage his natural impish smarm in a role — not to the degree of his early work obviously – he seems to have evolved and progressed from his early smarm to more well-rounded, complex realms – but rather to use that natural energy inherent to his sensibility to shape a complete character, like he does so effectively and compellingly in ‘mud'; when that part of him is completely supressed, like it appears here, he feels a bit of an empty vessel, i don’t approve. but again, trailers – can’t live with em, can’t shoot em.

2. Nick Rogers says:

As you’ve said, I think it’s impossible to intuit from 2 1/2 minutes of footage whether any of these things are a problem. I certainly didn’t think Man of Steel was going to be an interminable slog based on its triumphant trailer.

3. leahnz says:

yeah, for sure, kind of a bizarro-world example — but in a way that has me even more taken aback with this rather long slog of an ‘interstellar’ trailer, so dour and bereft of any excitement or energy or suspense, if it’s a case of bait-n-switch for a movie that’s actually not a dirge it’s a strange strategy

4. movieman says:

“Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001”- “Interstellar”?

5. Eric says:

This is strangely… untwisty? There has to be more going on than the trailer lets on, right?

6. Bodhizefa says:

It’s a weird trailer in that it’s fairly maudlin but also with hints of Nolan time distortion/panache.

7. leahnz says:

” “Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001″- “Interstellar”? ”

+ the AT&T ad from ‘dumb and dumber’

8. SamLowry says:

Thanks for posting this here, Dave; I tried to watch this on the official website days ago but even with the “secret” code it still didn’t work.

So, I’m predicting the sun’s turning into a red giant–a tad prematurely–and if everyone isn’t moved off-world in a few years then they’re all going to fry. It would be much easier to move everyone someplace closer that isn’t habitable now but will be afterward, but since they’re not doing that then maybe something even more dire is happening with the sun.

Or maybe it’s just a secret remake of FLASH GORDON.

Anyway, here’s my equation:

UNTAMED + WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE – MELANCHOLIA

9. Pete B. says:

Nick, I think you got your movies mixed. Prometheus was an “interminable slog” after a “triumphant” trailer.

10. Mariamu says:

I’m excited.

11. Nick Rogers says:

Pete: I didn’t get them mixed. “Prometheus” was just the 2012 edition of the same problem.

“TIFF doesn’t make attendance numbers for its Lightbox screenings publicly available, so it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many filmgoers the Lightbox is attracting (or how much money it’s bringing in). But the King Street West venue hasn’t become a significant draw for film enthusiasts. The Lightbox’s attendance has plunged – 49,000 fewer visitors last year, a drop of 27 per cent, according to figures recently reported in the Toronto Star. Its gallery space – designed to showcase the visions of cinema’s most iconic filmmakers – saw most of its exhibitions staff quietly axed this past fall. And its marketing barely escapes the Lightbox’s walls. Unless you are a TIFF member or one of the city’s most avid filmgoers, you could walk by the Lightbox and remain blissfully unaware of a single thing that goes on inside. TIFF “still has a world-class brand,” said Barry Avrich, a filmmaker and former board member, “but it’s going to take some fresh vision from retail, consumer programming and marketing experts, given how the lines have become intensely blurred when it comes to how people watch film. They will have to experiment with programming to find the right blend of function and relevance.”
~ Globe & Mail Epic On State of Toronto Int’l (paywalled)

“I’m 87 years old… I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive… The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there’s nothing. Like there was before I was born. I’m not really into religion, they’re all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

“The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

“Anybody else you’ve interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call… Hey, brother. That’s great, man. Yeah, I’m being interviewed… We’re talking about nothing. I’ve got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He’s stopped asking questions.”
~ Harry Dean Stanton