Trailer: Interstellar

11 Responses to “Trailer: Interstellar”

1. leahnz says:

eeee i’ve learned to never trust trailers so grain of salt and all, but has Nolan recently gone grey by chance? looks like another case of ‘RSS’ – maudlin, heavy-handed, overwrought (perhaps, much like Fincher, Nolan should stick to the dark, unseemly places and give a wide berth to sentimentality, not a strong suit – don’t ‘ben button’ it nolan, good lord don’t ben button).

and dear beloved (not) new-school trailer-cutters, you little minxes: tears must be EARNED, not forcibly dribbled down the throat, this thing just raises my ‘i wouldn’t cry in your boo-hoo movie if YOU paid ME’ hackles, geeze

which brings me to something perhaps more genuinely troubling about this: i don’t feel matt mcC in ‘super serious straight-up drama’ mode, there’s something missing, some spark/charm/charisma/wonder that’s lost when he’s not allowed to somehow incorporate and engage his natural impish smarm in a role — not to the degree of his early work obviously – he seems to have evolved and progressed from his early smarm to more well-rounded, complex realms – but rather to use that natural energy inherent to his sensibility to shape a complete character, like he does so effectively and compellingly in ‘mud'; when that part of him is completely supressed, like it appears here, he feels a bit of an empty vessel, i don’t approve. but again, trailers – can’t live with em, can’t shoot em.

2. Nick Rogers says:

As you’ve said, I think it’s impossible to intuit from 2 1/2 minutes of footage whether any of these things are a problem. I certainly didn’t think Man of Steel was going to be an interminable slog based on its triumphant trailer.

3. leahnz says:

yeah, for sure, kind of a bizarro-world example — but in a way that has me even more taken aback with this rather long slog of an ‘interstellar’ trailer, so dour and bereft of any excitement or energy or suspense, if it’s a case of bait-n-switch for a movie that’s actually not a dirge it’s a strange strategy

4. movieman says:

“Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001”- “Interstellar”?

5. Eric says:

This is strangely… untwisty? There has to be more going on than the trailer lets on, right?

6. Bodhizefa says:

It’s a weird trailer in that it’s fairly maudlin but also with hints of Nolan time distortion/panache.

7. leahnz says:

” “Signs” + “Close Encounters” + “2001″- “Interstellar”? ”

+ the AT&T ad from ‘dumb and dumber’

8. SamLowry says:

Thanks for posting this here, Dave; I tried to watch this on the official website days ago but even with the “secret” code it still didn’t work.

So, I’m predicting the sun’s turning into a red giant–a tad prematurely–and if everyone isn’t moved off-world in a few years then they’re all going to fry. It would be much easier to move everyone someplace closer that isn’t habitable now but will be afterward, but since they’re not doing that then maybe something even more dire is happening with the sun.

Or maybe it’s just a secret remake of FLASH GORDON.

Anyway, here’s my equation:

UNTAMED + WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE – MELANCHOLIA

9. Pete B. says:

Nick, I think you got your movies mixed. Prometheus was an “interminable slog” after a “triumphant” trailer.

10. Mariamu says:

I’m excited.

11. Nick Rogers says:

Pete: I didn’t get them mixed. “Prometheus” was just the 2012 edition of the same problem.

“Let me try and be as direct as I possibly can with you on this. There was no relationship to repair. I didn’t intend for Harvey to buy and release The Immigrant – I thought it was a terrible idea. And I didn’t think he would want the film, and I didn’t think he would like the film. He bought the film without me knowing! He bought it from the equity people who raised the money for me in the States. And I told them it was a terrible idea, but I had no say over the matter. So they sold it to him without my say-so, and with me thinking it was a terrible idea. I was completely correct, but I couldn’t do anything about it. It was not my preference, it was not my choice, I did not want that to happen, I have no relationship with Harvey. So, it’s not like I repaired some relationship, then he screwed me again, and I’m an idiot for trusting him twice! Like I say, you try to distance yourself as much as possible from the immediate response to a movie. With The Immigrant I had final cut. So he knew he couldn’t make me change it. But he applied all the pressure he could, including shelving the film.”
James Gray

“I’m an unusual producer because I control the destiny of a lot of the films I’ve done. Most of them are in perfect states of restoration and preservation and distribution, and I aim to keep them in distribution. HanWay Films, which is my sales company, has a 500-film catalogue, which is looked after and tended like a garden. I’m still looking after my films in the catalogue and trying to get other people to look after their films, which we represent intellectually, to try to keep them alive. A film has to be run through a projector to be alive, unfortunately, and those electric shadows are few and far between now. It’s very hard to go and see films in a movie house. I was always involved with the sales and marketing of my films, right up from The Shout onwards. I’ve had good periods, but I also had a best period because the film business was in its best period then. You couldn’t make The Last Emperor today. You couldn’t make The Sheltering Sky today. You couldn’t make those films anymore as independent films. There are neither the resources nor the vision within the studios to go to them and say, “I want to make a film about China with no stars in it.”Then, twenty years ago, I thought, “OK, I’m going to sell my own films but I don’t want to make it my own sales company.” I wanted it to be for me but I wanted to make it open for every other producer, so they don’t feel that they make a film but I get the focus. So, it’s a company that is my business and I’m involved with running it in a certain way, but I’m not seen as a competitor with other people that use it. It’s used by lots of different producers apart from me. When I want to use it, however, it’s there for me and I suppose I’m planning to continue making all my films to be sold by HanWay. I don’t have to, but I do because it’s in my building and the marketing’s here, and I can do it like that. Often, it sounds like I’m being easy about things, but it’s much more difficult than it sounds. It’s just that I’ve been at it for a long time and there’s lots of fat and security around my business. I know how to make films, but it’s not easy—it’s become a very exacting life.”
~ Producer Jeremy Thomas