Friday Estimates by Non-God Klady

Friday Estimates 2014-03-01 at 8.55.04 AM

Liam vs Jesus. It’s a Beatle-tastic showdown.

First round (Friday) goes to Non-Stop, but I expect Son of God to end up taking the weekend… or at least making it a very, very close race.

Oscar weekend tends to be a little soft, especially for holdovers. Basically, it kills the Sunday because if you are a frequent moviegoer, you are likely an Oscar watcher. But this weekend, we have a religiously themed film in the game, so Sunday may be a strong day for that film. And The Lego Movie may score family dollars early in the day and not lose much on a softer Sunday afternoon and evening.

About Last Night will pass the opening weekend gross of Ride Along today (day 16 of the run). The film opened to $25.6m, which felt like a show of strength by Kevin Hart, but this gross, while a success, feels more stuck in the niche. There is no question that a white guy generating similar numbers would get HUGE opportunities. We’ll see how this works for Mr. Hart.

6 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Non-God Klady”

1. EtGuild2 says:

Congrats to Robert DeNiro on his 6th theatrical release in the past 10 months (7th if you count “American Hustle.”), “The Bag Man.” Next up: playing a boxing trainer in a movie where R&B superstar Usher is Sugar Ray Leonard. This is what we’ve come to…

Will “Noah” or “Exodus” match the opening weekend of the spliced-together mess “Son of God.” Not so sure about Aronosky’s pic, though I’ll be first in line.

2. Spacesheik says:

Saw ‘Non-Stop’ last night at a packed theater, who seemed to enjoy it. Pretty slick who-dunnit-actioner that managed to pack a lot of wallop in it’s mostly interior airline set. A pretty decent cast (Julianne Moore, Michelle Dockery, Lynus Roache, Anson Mount etc) and some welcome nods to ’70s aerial drama/disaster flicks such as ‘Airport’ ‘Skyjacked’ and ‘Airport ’75′ – also a bit of that ‘Nightmare at 20,000 feet’ George Miller kinetic segment from ‘Twilight Zone: The Movie.’

Only thing missing was George Kennedy as ‘Patroni.’

3. Joshua says:

It looks like the R-rated version of “Anchorman 2″ will not be a major factor in this weekend’s box office results.

4. Joe Leydon says:

Not to nitpick, but isn’t it Odd Thomas, not Old Thomas?

5. Chucky says:

Missing from the arthouse list is “The Wind Rises”, which Disney took national yet promoted with the nefarious “Academy Award Winner” like it was another movie for mouth-breathers. Disney’s newspaper ads also don’t specify which theaters have the Japanese version.

6. christian says:

Chucky, don’t you have some non-branded, non-violent, wholesome sports to watch on TV?

“I am just grateful I am still around. I would love to be Steven Soderbergh, but I am lucky to be Joe Swanberg. Actors want to work with me, people want to give me money, and my nightmare scenario remains: Getting in bed with a studio, spending years on a movie, and it turns out horrible, but now I’m rich.”

Actually, by Hollywood standards, you’re right, I said. That is unambitious.

“It is, and yet, if you can go to bed happy at night, doing what you want, isn’t that ambition for a lifetime?”
~ Swanberg On Swanberg By Borelli

“In retrospect, nothing of that kind surprised me about Philip, because his intuition was luminous from the instant you met him. So was his intelligence. A lot of actors act intelligent, but Philip was the real thing: a shining, artistic polymath with an intelligence that came at you like a pair of headlights and enveloped you from the moment he grabbed your hand, put a huge arm round your neck and shoved a cheek against yours; or if the mood took him, hugged you to him like a big, pudgy schoolboy, then stood and beamed at you while he took stock of the effect.”
John le Carré on Philip Seymour Hoffman