Friday Estimates by Non-God Klady

Friday Estimates 2014-03-01 at 8.55.04 AM

Liam vs Jesus. It’s a Beatle-tastic showdown.

First round (Friday) goes to Non-Stop, but I expect Son of God to end up taking the weekend… or at least making it a very, very close race.

Oscar weekend tends to be a little soft, especially for holdovers. Basically, it kills the Sunday because if you are a frequent moviegoer, you are likely an Oscar watcher. But this weekend, we have a religiously themed film in the game, so Sunday may be a strong day for that film. And The Lego Movie may score family dollars early in the day and not lose much on a softer Sunday afternoon and evening.

About Last Night will pass the opening weekend gross of Ride Along today (day 16 of the run). The film opened to $25.6m, which felt like a show of strength by Kevin Hart, but this gross, while a success, feels more stuck in the niche. There is no question that a white guy generating similar numbers would get HUGE opportunities. We’ll see how this works for Mr. Hart.

6 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Non-God Klady”

1. EtGuild2 says:

Congrats to Robert DeNiro on his 6th theatrical release in the past 10 months (7th if you count “American Hustle.”), “The Bag Man.” Next up: playing a boxing trainer in a movie where R&B superstar Usher is Sugar Ray Leonard. This is what we’ve come to…

Will “Noah” or “Exodus” match the opening weekend of the spliced-together mess “Son of God.” Not so sure about Aronosky’s pic, though I’ll be first in line.

2. Spacesheik says:

Saw ‘Non-Stop’ last night at a packed theater, who seemed to enjoy it. Pretty slick who-dunnit-actioner that managed to pack a lot of wallop in it’s mostly interior airline set. A pretty decent cast (Julianne Moore, Michelle Dockery, Lynus Roache, Anson Mount etc) and some welcome nods to ’70s aerial drama/disaster flicks such as ‘Airport’ ‘Skyjacked’ and ‘Airport ’75′ – also a bit of that ‘Nightmare at 20,000 feet’ George Miller kinetic segment from ‘Twilight Zone: The Movie.’

Only thing missing was George Kennedy as ‘Patroni.’

3. Joshua says:

It looks like the R-rated version of “Anchorman 2″ will not be a major factor in this weekend’s box office results.

4. Joe Leydon says:

Not to nitpick, but isn’t it Odd Thomas, not Old Thomas?

5. Chucky says:

Missing from the arthouse list is “The Wind Rises”, which Disney took national yet promoted with the nefarious “Academy Award Winner” like it was another movie for mouth-breathers. Disney’s newspaper ads also don’t specify which theaters have the Japanese version.

6. christian says:

Chucky, don’t you have some non-branded, non-violent, wholesome sports to watch on TV?

movieman on: BYOB 073014

cadavra on: BYOB 073014

Bulldog68 on: BYOB 073014

SamLowry on: BYOB 073014

SamLowry on: BYOB 073014

Nick on: BYOB 073014

cadavra on: BYOB 073014

Pete B. on: BYOB 073014

leahnz on: Trailer: Interstellar

Nick Rogers on: Trailer: Interstellar

“I have to interrupt you. No. the answer is no. I’m just a storyteller. Please don’t confuse the character in a story and the storyteller. Of course there is a connection and of course there is a human being that you sense behind the films, but don’t take it one-on-one that Herzog is Aguirre, the mad conquistador or something like that. This attempt has been made and it has failed all the time. Thank God, I’m not the central figure of my films.”
~ Werner Herzog To Mark Olsen

“I am just grateful I am still around. I would love to be Steven Soderbergh, but I am lucky to be Joe Swanberg. Actors want to work with me, people want to give me money, and my nightmare scenario remains: Getting in bed with a studio, spending years on a movie, and it turns out horrible, but now I’m rich.”

Actually, by Hollywood standards, you’re right, I said. That is unambitious.

“It is, and yet, if you can go to bed happy at night, doing what you want, isn’t that ambition for a lifetime?”
~ Swanberg On Swanberg By Borelli