Friday Estimates by That Awkward Klady

Friday Est (corr) 2014-02-01 at 9.02.11 AM

22 Responses to “Friday Estimates by That Awkward Klady”

1. EtGuild2 says:

RIDE ALONG has to be crossing over at least a little bit right? I mean, it’s going to match THE OTHER GUYS among buddy cop comedies and is Cube’s biggest hit ever with or without inflation–its audience has to be more than 20% white/hispanic, right?

Btw, GRAVITY became the top live-action movie ever, worldwide, directed by a non-Caucasian (Carlos Saldanha holds the overall record for ICE AGE 3/4) topping THE SIXTH SENSE. That’s pretty cool but also kinda depressing…also depressing is that Shymalan still holds the domestic record 15 years after setting it.

It’ll also pass THE HUNGER GAMES 1 to become the biggest live-action non-sequel worldwide since INCEPTION this weekend.

2. Jack1137 says:

EtGuild it must be fun living in your world.Yes Ride Along is getting other people out there not just Urban Audiences also your memory must be short but you seem to forget that (Or hate to admit) that this is not Cuaron’s biggest hit live action and won’t be his biigest one made about a billion dollars.and what is your fascination with his race he looks Caucasian to me.

3. EtGuild2 says:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot Harry Potter! As for racial fascination, I happen to think directorial diversity is a good thing. The lack of mainstream projects for minority and female directors in Hollywood is an issue (consider that if “Gravity” does make it to $700 million, 94% of movies to reach that level will still have been directed by Caucasian men), and it’s nice to see success. At least in my world.

As for “Ride Along,” I just saw yet another Deadline article about how “Ride Along” isn’t crossing over, so that’s a different world from the one I inhabit, which yes, I quite enjoy thanks :)

4. Gustavo says:

If you’re using the term ‘caucasian’ as synonim of ‘white’, then Saldanha is caucasian. bit.ly/1fxtZ9V

5. movieman says:

Despite its flaws (most of which are spoiler-sensitive), I really enjoyed “Labor Day.”
    And whatever its shortcomings, I’m willing to cut it some slack for being that increasingly rare studio film which is about (and made for) adults.
    But heaven forbid they say anything remotely complimentary about an old-fashioned, solidly crafted, exceedingly well-acted (albeit imperfect) “chick flick.”
    Liked Miles, Zac and Michael B., but “Awkward Moment” should have been a lot smarter, wittier and, yep, funnier than it is.
    And could someone explain to me why Imogen Poots keeps getting cast in film after film (often as “Americans” despite a quite frankly terrible Yank accent)?
    She lacks any innate warmth/charm as a performer, is as blandly forgettable as Johnny Depp’s fiancee and isn’t even particularly attractive.
    “AM” felt long-ish to me, despite its 94-minute run time.

6. jepressman says:

7. leahnz says:

i’m very much looking forward to ‘labor day’ in large part because of the disparate reviews (and i’m kind of fascinated to see how Reitman does with a seemingly straight-up earnest family drama adapted from source material of the same tone, something a bit new for him outside his usual palette) — it’s always interesting when it seems like people saw completely different movies when writing their reviews

8. molly'sdad says:

Agree with your LABOR DAY comments, movieman. Saw it in December and thought it was flawed AND pretty wonderful. The rather hard-hearted group in the Tribecca screening room were audibly weeping at the end. Most of the friends who’ve seen it agree with you, as well. And your observation about how male critics will overlook the fact that the last hour of THE AVENGERS – for example – is almost too excruciatingly dull to watch. Yet anything with grown-up, adult characters and careful, emotional storytelling is held up to standards that only SCHINDLER’S LIST, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and 12 YEARS a SLAVE can match. It’s not surprising, really. This is the same group that will dub anything not made for twelve-year-old boys in Singapore as “Oscar bait.” Why is it that any serious film with an actual story and a few actors over 40 in it is immediately seen as pandering to the Academy? Pet peeve of the day.

9. chris says:

“Labor Day” is hackneyed twaddle. It’s possible to hate it, regardless of gender. And Winslet is not over 40.

10. movieman says:

Glad to know that somebody else liked “Labor Day,” molly’sdad.
    The middling-at-best reviews it’s received from most quarters kind of baffles me. Are critics just annoyed that Reitman tried to stretch and attempt something different?
    No matter how poorly it fares at the box office, I’m guessing home video will be a lot kinder.
    And that 30-40 years from now, “LD” will have become a TCM staple…perhaps sooner.

11. molly'sdad says:

That’s a yes, movieman. Reitman makes JUNO, UP IN THE AIR and YOUNG ADULT. Irony, coolness, unmarried smart snarky teenagers and un-p.c. humor. Then he gave us a snark-free, irony-free, cool factor-free, un-p.c.-free movie that felt like something from the 1950′s. He was trying something different; to some he failed. Fair enough, Chris. But it’s getting to the point where movies for adults are so few and far between, I’ll settle for hackneyed twaddle. Especially if the greatest living actress UNDER the age of 40 is in it.

12. lazarus says:

Aren’t Indians considered caucasian in most anthropological circles? I’m guessing “non-white” would have been a better choice of words if we’re talking about Shyamalan and The Sixth Sense.

13. Hallick says:

“The (largely) male critics who’ve been dumping on it since Toronto are the same group of misogynistic lemmings who traditionally give a pass to a “Fast and the Furious” sequel or Marvel comic book movie by saying, “Well, they’re pretty good of ‘their kind.’”

Care of Labor Day’s Rotten Tomatoes page:

(misogynist lemmings who don’t like Labor Day) Amber Wilkinson, Amy Nicholson, Ann Hornaday, Annlee Ellingson, Carla Meyer, Cathy Jakicic, Christy Lemire, Claudia Puig, Connie Ogle, Dana Stevens, Elizabeth Weitzman, Jeanne Kaplan, Joanna Langfield, Jocelyn Noveck, Jolene Mendez, Joy Tipping, Katherine Monk, Kimberly Gadette, Laura Clifford, Mara Reinstein, MaryAnn Johanson, Nell Minow, Sandie Angulo Chen.

(critics who liked Labor Day, Fast and Furious 6, and The Avengers) Andrew Urban, Daniel M. Kimmel, Jules Brenner, Kirk Baird, Louise Keller, Richard Roeper, Todd McCarthy.

(critics who liked Labor Day and Fast and Furious 6) Betsy Sharkey, Lou Lumenick.

(critics who liked Labor Day and The Avengers) Brandon Judell, Chris Bumbray, Eric Kohn, Marshall Fine, Mike McGranaghan, Peter Rainer, Robert Denerstein, Stephen Whitty, Steven Rea, Tim Grierson.

14. Hallick says:

“But it’s getting to the point where movies for adults are so few and far between, I’ll settle for hackneyed twaddle. Especially if the greatest living actress UNDER the age of 40 is in it.”

We are literally at a point in time when 12 Years a Slave, Saving Mr. Banks, American Hustle, August: Osage County, The Wolf of Wall Street, Her, Lone Survivor, The Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, Nebraska AND Labor Day are all well within reach for me as a movie-goer, and I’m kind of in the sticks of Northern California. The only thing I have to settle for as an adult is popcorn poisoning.

15. EtGuild2 says:

Sigh. Jesus Christ, no, non-white is as much a misnomer as Caucasian if you want to be technical. Yes, the point of my comment was to celebrate shared humanity. When the 70 highest grossing directors are all men, I don’t feel that that’s happening. Likewise, when 59 of the the 62 highest grossing movies of all-time worldwide are directed by white Anglo-Saxon American or European men, I don’t feel that’s happening.

There is a problem when franchises from Marvel (aside from a one-time flirtation), to Hunger Games, to Pixar, to DC Comics, on and on, all eschew non Anglo-Saxon male directors, time and again. We can’t celebrate “shared humanity” in Hollywood direction quite yet, when we’re focused on Catherine Hardwicke’s tumultuous “Twilight” history, or Brenda Chapman’s fallout with “Brave,” or Tim Story’s self-proclaimed exile.

16. Hallick says:

“Caucasian men, black men, etc; what nonsense , how about our shared humanity, you know we are all human beings.”

EtGuild2 was just pointing out some shared success which was just as uncommon in filmmaking as your humanitarian philosophy is (unfortunately) in life.

17. Bixby says:

EtGuild2 bringing that complex mix of PC naivete and inadvertent “never actually met a black person” clueless toss-off racism to the Lukewarm Blog since ’10. Wasn’t this the same dude who did a timely-as-ever rant about the content of ONYX lyrics one time? Because it’s still 1992.

18. movieman says:

Hallick- This is “Oscar season,” isn’t it? That time of year when ‘plexes are stuffed to the gils with serious, year-end “adult movies” clamoring for awards (and moviegoers) attention?
    Check back with me in a couple of months, lol.
    Or just look at the films released in the first month of this year: “Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones,” “The Legend of Hercules,” “The Nut Job,” “Ride Along,” “I, Frankenstein,” ad nauseam.
    I was merely commenting on how refreshing a movie about (and for) grown-ups like “Labor Day” looks in contrast to typical H’wood flotsam.

19. Etguild2 says:

Hahaha, i did a post about onyx lyrics? How I wish. But thanks bixby, you’re the first person to ever accuse me of being PC and the first person in history to confuse the Neptunes with Onyx.

20. Geoff says:

Etguild2 I do appreciate the sentiment and it is kind of exciting to see more non-white directors getting in the blockbuster game, but you’re forgetting another “non-caucasian” director who had an even better worldwide success than Gravity and just last year, Justin Lin’s Fast & Furious did almost $800 million worldwide. And actually, I would not be surprised if James Wan (he’s Chinese/Australian right?) becomes the first non-white director to join the billion dollar club in 2015 with Fast & Furious 7…..seriously if Universal plays their cards right (they should have jumped immediately on that mid-July slot when Batman/Superman got delayed – they still could, they would clobber Antman), that film could be HUGE.

21. doug r says:

Isn’t this in the last hour of Avengers? http://youtu.be/7oL4FWJjOuk

22. leahnz says:

how exactly is it ‘PC’ to question white male hegemony in the film industry — ‘pc’ has become the stupidest catch-all most overly, dimly and incorrectly used term of the modern era