By David Poland

Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady”

1. movieman says:

It’s a shitty weekend for everything but “LEGGO” and (sort of) “The Wind Rises.”
    All of last weekend’s Festivus-fueled “hits” (“ALN,” “Endless Love,” “Robocop”) collapsed, both new wide releases pretty much tanked and the other two high profile limited-ish releases (“In Secret” and “Omar”) were D.O.A.
    “Secret” isn’t great, but it’s not appreciably worse than the Wasikowska/Fassbender “Jane Eyre” from a few years back which did decently enough.
    And “Omar” is actually pretty terrific; kind of shocked that it didn’t open better buoyed by excellent reviews and its Oscar nomination.

2. Bulldog68 says:

But Three Days to Kill has a modest budget so a $10m opening is not a disaster. Granted with Non-Stop coming next week, it may not get to $30m domestically but with international it should be okay.

Pompeii is a disaster domestically however, and will be looking to pull a Robocop with it’s international numbers, otherwise it joins the steaming pile of genre disasters already being racked up this year, including I Frankenstein and Hercules.

3. EtGuild2 says:

Aw, I loved Fukunaga’s take on “Jane Eyre.” It doesn’t live up to the BBC miniseries, but it certainly is a cut above previous movies.

I thought “In Secret” was disappointingly stilted. Carné’s version of the novel was on TCM recently, and while it’s slow-moving, it kept me glued to the screen. On the other hand, Zola’s classic is probably going to be forever associated with “Thirst,” the Chan-woork Park vampiric interpretation a few years back, which is a borderline masterpiece.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Double post.

5. chris says:

Storm effect? The Midwest pretty much can’t go to the movies this weekend.

6. cadavra says:

Back in the old days, Sony (well, Columbia) would’ve quickly made POMPEII and ROBOCOP into a double feature to keep them in theatres. Those, alas, were the days.

7. movieman says:

Cad- I think we might be the only ones who still remember the days of “circuit double bills.”
    Robocop” and “Pompeii” would have made a particularly nice pairing: two entertaining, well-tooled genre films.
    Ditto “Legend of Hercules” and “I, Frankenstein,” although I’m not sure how “nice” it would’ve been for anyone forced to sit (back to back, no less) through those stinkers.

8. movieman says:

Et-While no great shakes, I found “In Secret” (dopey title notwithstanding) an easy enough sit.
    And that last scene is really kind of great.
    Maybe Roadside would have been better off opening on 10-15 screens instead of 200+.

9. YancySkancy says:

Masterpiece Theater did a great production of “Therese Raquin” back in the early 80s. Kate Nelligan, Brian Cox, Mona Washbourne, a small part for Alan Rickman.

“Critics have said that I’ve made a career out of confounding expectations. Really? Because that’s all I do? That’s how I think about it. Confounding expectations. Like I stay up late at night thinking about how to do it. “What do you do for a living, man?” “Oh, I confound expectations.” You’re going to get a job, the man says, “What do you do?” “Oh, confound expectations. And the man says, “Well, we already have that spot filled. Call us back. Or don’t call us, we’ll call you.” Confounding expectations. I don’t even know what that means or who has time for it.”
~ Bob Dylan

“There was somebody from Creative Screenwriting Magazine who was here earlier, and she said ‘Have you got any advice for writers?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, write standing up’. Because this time around, I bought a cheap little stand off Amazon, and I wrote standing up, because it’s slightly uncomfortable – it’s not so uncomfortable that you can’t do it, it’s slightly uncomfortable. And it means you don’t end up going on the internet, basically, because you’re there to do a fucking job. So I’ll write for 25 minutes… then I’ll go and play on the PlayStation for a bit. And I do this all night. I go nocturnal. And then I go back and I’ll write a bit more, and then I go back to the PlayStation, and then I go back… And hopefully by then, I’ll lose track of time and then I’ll be writing for fucking ages, and then there’s a point where you get excited about it. So my advice for writers is always: write standing up, and get Scrivener, and write in 25 minute bursts, and get a PlayStation.”
~ Charlie Brooker