Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady

20140222-084519.jpg

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady”

1. movieman says:

Bleuch.
    It’s a shitty weekend for everything but “LEGGO” and (sort of) “The Wind Rises.”
    All of last weekend’s Festivus-fueled “hits” (“ALN,” “Endless Love,” “Robocop”) collapsed, both new wide releases pretty much tanked and the other two high profile limited-ish releases (“In Secret” and “Omar”) were D.O.A.
    “Secret” isn’t great, but it’s not appreciably worse than the Wasikowska/Fassbender “Jane Eyre” from a few years back which did decently enough.
    And “Omar” is actually pretty terrific; kind of shocked that it didn’t open better buoyed by excellent reviews and its Oscar nomination.

2. Bulldog68 says:

But Three Days to Kill has a modest budget so a $10m opening is not a disaster. Granted with Non-Stop coming next week, it may not get to $30m domestically but with international it should be okay.

Pompeii is a disaster domestically however, and will be looking to pull a Robocop with it’s international numbers, otherwise it joins the steaming pile of genre disasters already being racked up this year, including I Frankenstein and Hercules.

3. EtGuild2 says:

Aw, I loved Fukunaga’s take on “Jane Eyre.” It doesn’t live up to the BBC miniseries, but it certainly is a cut above previous movies.

I thought “In Secret” was disappointingly stilted. Carné’s version of the novel was on TCM recently, and while it’s slow-moving, it kept me glued to the screen. On the other hand, Zola’s classic is probably going to be forever associated with “Thirst,” the Chan-woork Park vampiric interpretation a few years back, which is a borderline masterpiece.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Double post.

5. chris says:

Storm effect? The Midwest pretty much can’t go to the movies this weekend.

6. cadavra says:

Back in the old days, Sony (well, Columbia) would’ve quickly made POMPEII and ROBOCOP into a double feature to keep them in theatres. Those, alas, were the days.

7. movieman says:

Cad- I think we might be the only ones who still remember the days of “circuit double bills.”
    Yeah.
    Robocop” and “Pompeii” would have made a particularly nice pairing: two entertaining, well-tooled genre films.
    Ditto “Legend of Hercules” and “I, Frankenstein,” although I’m not sure how “nice” it would’ve been for anyone forced to sit (back to back, no less) through those stinkers.

8. movieman says:

Et-While no great shakes, I found “In Secret” (dopey title notwithstanding) an easy enough sit.
    And that last scene is really kind of great.
    Maybe Roadside would have been better off opening on 10-15 screens instead of 200+.

9. YancySkancy says:

Masterpiece Theater did a great production of “Therese Raquin” back in the early 80s. Kate Nelligan, Brian Cox, Mona Washbourne, a small part for Alan Rickman.

“There are critics who see their job as to be on the side of the artist, or in a state of imaginative sympathy or alliance with the artist. I think it’s important for a critic to be populist in the sense that we’re on the side of the public. I think one of the reasons is, frankly, capitalism. Whether you’re talking about restaurants or you’re talking about movies, you’re talking about large-scale commercial enterprises that are trying to sell themselves and market themselves and publicize themselves. A critic is, in a way, offering consumer advice. I think it’s very, very important in a time where everything is commercialized, commodified, and branded, where advertising is constantly bleeding into other forms of discourse, for there to be an independent voice kind of speaking to—and to some extent on behalf of—the public.”
~ A. O. Scott On One Role Of The Critic

“Every night, we’d sit and talk for a long, long time and talk about the process and I knew he was very, very intrigued about what could be happening. Then of course, one of the fascinating things he told me about was how he had readers who were reading for him that never knew it was Stanley Kubrick. So if he heard of a novel, he would send it out to people. I think he did it through newspaper ads at the time. And he would send it out to people and ask for a kind of synopsis or a critique of the novel. And he would read those. And it was done anonymously. But he said there were housewives and there were barristers and all sorts of people doing that. And I thought, yeah, that’s a really good way to open up the possibilities. Because otherwise, you’re randomly looking, walking through a bookstore or an airport. I said, “How many people are doing this?” It was about 30 people.”
~ George Miller’s Conversations With Kubrick