Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady”

1. movieman says:

It’s a shitty weekend for everything but “LEGGO” and (sort of) “The Wind Rises.”
    All of last weekend’s Festivus-fueled “hits” (“ALN,” “Endless Love,” “Robocop”) collapsed, both new wide releases pretty much tanked and the other two high profile limited-ish releases (“In Secret” and “Omar”) were D.O.A.
    “Secret” isn’t great, but it’s not appreciably worse than the Wasikowska/Fassbender “Jane Eyre” from a few years back which did decently enough.
    And “Omar” is actually pretty terrific; kind of shocked that it didn’t open better buoyed by excellent reviews and its Oscar nomination.

2. Bulldog68 says:

But Three Days to Kill has a modest budget so a $10m opening is not a disaster. Granted with Non-Stop coming next week, it may not get to $30m domestically but with international it should be okay.

Pompeii is a disaster domestically however, and will be looking to pull a Robocop with it’s international numbers, otherwise it joins the steaming pile of genre disasters already being racked up this year, including I Frankenstein and Hercules.

3. EtGuild2 says:

Aw, I loved Fukunaga’s take on “Jane Eyre.” It doesn’t live up to the BBC miniseries, but it certainly is a cut above previous movies.

I thought “In Secret” was disappointingly stilted. Carné’s version of the novel was on TCM recently, and while it’s slow-moving, it kept me glued to the screen. On the other hand, Zola’s classic is probably going to be forever associated with “Thirst,” the Chan-woork Park vampiric interpretation a few years back, which is a borderline masterpiece.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Double post.

5. chris says:

Storm effect? The Midwest pretty much can’t go to the movies this weekend.

6. cadavra says:

Back in the old days, Sony (well, Columbia) would’ve quickly made POMPEII and ROBOCOP into a double feature to keep them in theatres. Those, alas, were the days.

7. movieman says:

Cad- I think we might be the only ones who still remember the days of “circuit double bills.”
    Robocop” and “Pompeii” would have made a particularly nice pairing: two entertaining, well-tooled genre films.
    Ditto “Legend of Hercules” and “I, Frankenstein,” although I’m not sure how “nice” it would’ve been for anyone forced to sit (back to back, no less) through those stinkers.

8. movieman says:

Et-While no great shakes, I found “In Secret” (dopey title notwithstanding) an easy enough sit.
    And that last scene is really kind of great.
    Maybe Roadside would have been better off opening on 10-15 screens instead of 200+.

9. YancySkancy says:

Masterpiece Theater did a great production of “Therese Raquin” back in the early 80s. Kate Nelligan, Brian Cox, Mona Washbourne, a small part for Alan Rickman.

“I run a movie for myself the first time, and if I can forget I had anything to do with the picture, and I’m halfway through the movie and I’m just the audience, then that is my litmus test for a film working. It doesn’t mean it’s going to work for anybody outside of myself, but when I lose the aesthetic distance between the screen and where I’m sitting, the first time I run a picture that I’ve directed for myself, if I’m aware to the very end that I’m the director, and all I can do is find things to fault, then I know I have my work cut out for me. And I have to roll up my sleeves and fix everything. But when I can watch a movie and I can forget that I made the movie, that’s the first sign that I’m going to be pretty happy with it, that I’m going to be able to live with it.”
~ Steven Spielberg On When He Thinks A Movie Is Working

“I was brought up on newspapers. I love newspapers. I love old-fashioned newspapers, but today I read them on the Internet because of time. And in New York, I read the morning papers, then I read the London papers on my iPad. But entertainment is very important. With broadband coming, everything is changing. People now spend four or five hours on their iPhones, their smartphones, which is changing the world totally. I found it with my young children. They are on their iPhones while they are watching television, doing two things at once. The fact that now we have 2.5 billion people with smartphones, with access to knowledge all over the world, with access to each other, government is going to change, the world is going to change. And it’s going to change very fast. We’ve only had smartphones for eight years, and now we have 2.5 billion of them. In another eight years, we will have 5 billion. The whole world will be on them… If newspapers have opinions, if they are really well-written, if they’re very reliable, people will pay for them. Then they are viable. We found [that] with the Wall Street Journal. You have newspapers on the Internet which are so good people will pay for them. There are people who steal things, rewrite them and put them out, like Google, but they are not reliable at all.”
~ Rupert Murdoch