Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady

20140222-084519.jpg

9 Responses to “Friday Estimates by Master Box Office Klady”

1. movieman says:

Bleuch.
    It’s a shitty weekend for everything but “LEGGO” and (sort of) “The Wind Rises.”
    All of last weekend’s Festivus-fueled “hits” (“ALN,” “Endless Love,” “Robocop”) collapsed, both new wide releases pretty much tanked and the other two high profile limited-ish releases (“In Secret” and “Omar”) were D.O.A.
    “Secret” isn’t great, but it’s not appreciably worse than the Wasikowska/Fassbender “Jane Eyre” from a few years back which did decently enough.
    And “Omar” is actually pretty terrific; kind of shocked that it didn’t open better buoyed by excellent reviews and its Oscar nomination.

2. Bulldog68 says:

But Three Days to Kill has a modest budget so a $10m opening is not a disaster. Granted with Non-Stop coming next week, it may not get to $30m domestically but with international it should be okay.

Pompeii is a disaster domestically however, and will be looking to pull a Robocop with it’s international numbers, otherwise it joins the steaming pile of genre disasters already being racked up this year, including I Frankenstein and Hercules.

3. EtGuild2 says:

Aw, I loved Fukunaga’s take on “Jane Eyre.” It doesn’t live up to the BBC miniseries, but it certainly is a cut above previous movies.

I thought “In Secret” was disappointingly stilted. Carné’s version of the novel was on TCM recently, and while it’s slow-moving, it kept me glued to the screen. On the other hand, Zola’s classic is probably going to be forever associated with “Thirst,” the Chan-woork Park vampiric interpretation a few years back, which is a borderline masterpiece.

4. EtGuild2 says:

Double post.

5. chris says:

Storm effect? The Midwest pretty much can’t go to the movies this weekend.

6. cadavra says:

Back in the old days, Sony (well, Columbia) would’ve quickly made POMPEII and ROBOCOP into a double feature to keep them in theatres. Those, alas, were the days.

7. movieman says:

Cad- I think we might be the only ones who still remember the days of “circuit double bills.”
    Yeah.
    Robocop” and “Pompeii” would have made a particularly nice pairing: two entertaining, well-tooled genre films.
    Ditto “Legend of Hercules” and “I, Frankenstein,” although I’m not sure how “nice” it would’ve been for anyone forced to sit (back to back, no less) through those stinkers.

8. movieman says:

Et-While no great shakes, I found “In Secret” (dopey title notwithstanding) an easy enough sit.
    And that last scene is really kind of great.
    Maybe Roadside would have been better off opening on 10-15 screens instead of 200+.

9. YancySkancy says:

Masterpiece Theater did a great production of “Therese Raquin” back in the early 80s. Kate Nelligan, Brian Cox, Mona Washbourne, a small part for Alan Rickman.

Dear Irene Cho, I will miss your energy and passion; your optimism and joy; your kindness towards friends, colleagues, strangers, struggling filmmakers, or anyone who randomly crossed your path and needed a hand. My brothers and I have long considered you another sibling in our family. Our holiday photos – both western and eastern – have you among all the cousins, in-laws, and kids… in the snow, sun, opening presents, at large dinner gatherings, playing Monopoly, breaking out pomegranate seeds and teaching us all how to dance Gangnam style. Your friendship and loyalty meant a great deal to me: you were the loudest cheerleader when I experienced victories and you were always ready with sushi when I had disappointments. You had endless crazy ideas which always seemed impossible but you would will them into existence. (Like that time you called me and suggested that we host a brunch for newly elected mayor of LA, Eric Garcetti because “he is going to president one day.” We didn’t have enough time or funding, of course, only your desire to do it. So you did, and I followed.) You created The Daily Buzz from nothing and it survived on your steam in spite of many setbacks because you believed in a platform for emerging filmmakers from all nations. Most of all, you were a wonderful mother to your son, Ethan, a devoted wife to your husband, and a wonderful sibling and daughter to your family. We will all miss how your wonderful smile and energy lit up the room and our lives. Rest in peace, Irene.
~ Rose Kuo Remembers Irene Cho on Facebook

“You know, I was never a critic. I never considered myself as a film critic. I started doing short films, writing screenplays and then for awhile, for a few years I wrote some film theory, including some film criticism because I had to, but I was never… I never had the desire to be a film critic. I never envisioned myself as a film critic, but I did that at a period of my life when I thought I kind of needed to understand things about cinema, understand things about film theory, understand the world map of cinema, and writing about movies gave me that, and also the opportunity to meet filmmakers I admired.

“To me, it was the best possible film school. The way it changed my perspective I suppose is that I believe in this connection between theory and practice. I think that you also make movies with ideas and you need to have ideas about filmmaking to achieve whatever you’re trying to achieve through your movies, but then I started making features in 1986 — a while ago — and I left all that behind.

“For the last three decades I’ve been making movies, I’ve been living, I’ve been observing the world. You become a different person, so basically my perspective on the world in general is very different and I hope that with every movie I make a step forward. I kind of hope I’m a better person, and hopefully a better filmmaker and hopefully try to… It’s very hard for me to go back to a different time when I would have different values in my relationship to filmmaking. I had a stiffer notion of cinema.”
~ Olivier Assayas