By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich

12 Responses to “DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich”

1. Stipe Vuković says:

Heloo from Croatia.
    Metallica… is my family :)
    Lars tnx for this movie, can’t wait to look it in cinema :)

2. John says:

Cool Lars!!
    Going to iMax tonight
    Hope it’s mostly your jamming!!!
    Screw the story-line!!!
    Come back to South Florida dammit
    You said you be back real soon at the Death Mag Concert!!!
    John

3. LexG says:

GOD ULRICH HOLY FUCK HOW DID POLAND EVER LAND THIS????

THIS IS INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANITY

4. berg says:

Ulrich is conversant about Starlet and In A World as well as mainstream films, seems pretty film savvy to me

5. LexG says:

He’s married to Connie Nielsen, no?

6. berg says:

Mission to Mars pow wow

7. LexG says:

Finally watched this in full. RULED.

8. Popcorn Slayer says:

Whoah, Ulrich is a mere hair trim away from being a dead ringer for Anthony Hopkins circa SOTL.

9. YancySkancy says:

Lex, he was with Neilsen for several years and they have a kid together, but I don’t think they ever married. They split up last year.

10. LexG says:

Yancy/DP, yeah, I made the Nielsen assumption before watching the interview, where Lars talks about his current gal and family and all…

You know what I like best about this interview? Something I kinda scoffed at a few minutes in where DP full-on cops to not being a metal guy, and you see a glint in Lars’ eye like “yeah no shit”… Then somehow it frees up the rest of it to be totally disarming and just shooting the shit about movies and business and his family; When I heard POLAND was interviewing LARS ULRICH, I thought this would be embarrassing or something, but it’s a really good, relaxed chat. Even Sanj has informed me he gives this one a 9/10… Who knew POLAND AND LARS ULRICH would be a fun duo to listen kick around movies and stuff? HA, made me wanna rent Juggernaut!

11. gordan says:

i am croatian please film for croatia.

12. gordan says:

please release for croatia
    i am metallica fan.

“There are critics who see their job as to be on the side of the artist, or in a state of imaginative sympathy or alliance with the artist. I think it’s important for a critic to be populist in the sense that we’re on the side of the public. I think one of the reasons is, frankly, capitalism. Whether you’re talking about restaurants or you’re talking about movies, you’re talking about large-scale commercial enterprises that are trying to sell themselves and market themselves and publicize themselves. A critic is, in a way, offering consumer advice. I think it’s very, very important in a time where everything is commercialized, commodified, and branded, where advertising is constantly bleeding into other forms of discourse, for there to be an independent voice kind of speaking to—and to some extent on behalf of—the public.”
~ A. O. Scott On One Role Of The Critic

“Every night, we’d sit and talk for a long, long time and talk about the process and I knew he was very, very intrigued about what could be happening. Then of course, one of the fascinating things he told me about was how he had readers who were reading for him that never knew it was Stanley Kubrick. So if he heard of a novel, he would send it out to people. I think he did it through newspaper ads at the time. And he would send it out to people and ask for a kind of synopsis or a critique of the novel. And he would read those. And it was done anonymously. But he said there were housewives and there were barristers and all sorts of people doing that. And I thought, yeah, that’s a really good way to open up the possibilities. Because otherwise, you’re randomly looking, walking through a bookstore or an airport. I said, “How many people are doing this?” It was about 30 people.”
~ George Miller’s Conversations With Kubrick