By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich

12 Responses to “DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich”

1. Stipe Vuković says:

Heloo from Croatia.
    Metallica… is my family :)
    Lars tnx for this movie, can’t wait to look it in cinema :)

2. John says:

Cool Lars!!
    Going to iMax tonight
    Hope it’s mostly your jamming!!!
    Screw the story-line!!!
    Come back to South Florida dammit
    You said you be back real soon at the Death Mag Concert!!!
    John

3. LexG says:

GOD ULRICH HOLY FUCK HOW DID POLAND EVER LAND THIS????

THIS IS INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANITY

4. berg says:

Ulrich is conversant about Starlet and In A World as well as mainstream films, seems pretty film savvy to me

5. LexG says:

He’s married to Connie Nielsen, no?

6. berg says:

Mission to Mars pow wow

7. LexG says:

Finally watched this in full. RULED.

8. Popcorn Slayer says:

Whoah, Ulrich is a mere hair trim away from being a dead ringer for Anthony Hopkins circa SOTL.

9. YancySkancy says:

Lex, he was with Neilsen for several years and they have a kid together, but I don’t think they ever married. They split up last year.

10. LexG says:

Yancy/DP, yeah, I made the Nielsen assumption before watching the interview, where Lars talks about his current gal and family and all…

You know what I like best about this interview? Something I kinda scoffed at a few minutes in where DP full-on cops to not being a metal guy, and you see a glint in Lars’ eye like “yeah no shit”… Then somehow it frees up the rest of it to be totally disarming and just shooting the shit about movies and business and his family; When I heard POLAND was interviewing LARS ULRICH, I thought this would be embarrassing or something, but it’s a really good, relaxed chat. Even Sanj has informed me he gives this one a 9/10… Who knew POLAND AND LARS ULRICH would be a fun duo to listen kick around movies and stuff? HA, made me wanna rent Juggernaut!

11. gordan says:

i am croatian please film for croatia.

12. gordan says:

please release for croatia
    i am metallica fan.

“Let me try and be as direct as I possibly can with you on this. There was no relationship to repair. I didn’t intend for Harvey to buy and release The Immigrant – I thought it was a terrible idea. And I didn’t think he would want the film, and I didn’t think he would like the film. He bought the film without me knowing! He bought it from the equity people who raised the money for me in the States. And I told them it was a terrible idea, but I had no say over the matter. So they sold it to him without my say-so, and with me thinking it was a terrible idea. I was completely correct, but I couldn’t do anything about it. It was not my preference, it was not my choice, I did not want that to happen, I have no relationship with Harvey. So, it’s not like I repaired some relationship, then he screwed me again, and I’m an idiot for trusting him twice! Like I say, you try to distance yourself as much as possible from the immediate response to a movie. With The Immigrant I had final cut. So he knew he couldn’t make me change it. But he applied all the pressure he could, including shelving the film.”
James Gray

“I’m an unusual producer because I control the destiny of a lot of the films I’ve done. Most of them are in perfect states of restoration and preservation and distribution, and I aim to keep them in distribution. HanWay Films, which is my sales company, has a 500-film catalogue, which is looked after and tended like a garden. I’m still looking after my films in the catalogue and trying to get other people to look after their films, which we represent intellectually, to try to keep them alive. A film has to be run through a projector to be alive, unfortunately, and those electric shadows are few and far between now. It’s very hard to go and see films in a movie house. I was always involved with the sales and marketing of my films, right up from The Shout onwards. I’ve had good periods, but I also had a best period because the film business was in its best period then. You couldn’t make The Last Emperor today. You couldn’t make The Sheltering Sky today. You couldn’t make those films anymore as independent films. There are neither the resources nor the vision within the studios to go to them and say, “I want to make a film about China with no stars in it.”Then, twenty years ago, I thought, “OK, I’m going to sell my own films but I don’t want to make it my own sales company.” I wanted it to be for me but I wanted to make it open for every other producer, so they don’t feel that they make a film but I get the focus. So, it’s a company that is my business and I’m involved with running it in a certain way, but I’m not seen as a competitor with other people that use it. It’s used by lots of different producers apart from me. When I want to use it, however, it’s there for me and I suppose I’m planning to continue making all my films to be sold by HanWay. I don’t have to, but I do because it’s in my building and the marketing’s here, and I can do it like that. Often, it sounds like I’m being easy about things, but it’s much more difficult than it sounds. It’s just that I’ve been at it for a long time and there’s lots of fat and security around my business. I know how to make films, but it’s not easy—it’s become a very exacting life.”
~ Producer Jeremy Thomas