By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich

12 Responses to “DP/30: Metallica Through The Never, drummer/writer/exec producer Lars Ulrich”

1. Stipe Vuković says:

Heloo from Croatia.
    Metallica… is my family :)
    Lars tnx for this movie, can’t wait to look it in cinema :)

2. John says:

Cool Lars!!
    Going to iMax tonight
    Hope it’s mostly your jamming!!!
    Screw the story-line!!!
    Come back to South Florida dammit
    You said you be back real soon at the Death Mag Concert!!!
    John

3. LexG says:

GOD ULRICH HOLY FUCK HOW DID POLAND EVER LAND THIS????

THIS IS INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANITY

4. berg says:

Ulrich is conversant about Starlet and In A World as well as mainstream films, seems pretty film savvy to me

5. LexG says:

He’s married to Connie Nielsen, no?

6. berg says:

Mission to Mars pow wow

7. LexG says:

Finally watched this in full. RULED.

8. Popcorn Slayer says:

Whoah, Ulrich is a mere hair trim away from being a dead ringer for Anthony Hopkins circa SOTL.

9. YancySkancy says:

Lex, he was with Neilsen for several years and they have a kid together, but I don’t think they ever married. They split up last year.

10. LexG says:

Yancy/DP, yeah, I made the Nielsen assumption before watching the interview, where Lars talks about his current gal and family and all…

You know what I like best about this interview? Something I kinda scoffed at a few minutes in where DP full-on cops to not being a metal guy, and you see a glint in Lars’ eye like “yeah no shit”… Then somehow it frees up the rest of it to be totally disarming and just shooting the shit about movies and business and his family; When I heard POLAND was interviewing LARS ULRICH, I thought this would be embarrassing or something, but it’s a really good, relaxed chat. Even Sanj has informed me he gives this one a 9/10… Who knew POLAND AND LARS ULRICH would be a fun duo to listen kick around movies and stuff? HA, made me wanna rent Juggernaut!

11. gordan says:

i am croatian please film for croatia.

12. gordan says:

please release for croatia
    i am metallica fan.

“I was 15 when I first watched Sally Hardesty escape into the back of a pickup truck, covered in blood and cackling like a goddamn witch. All of her friends were dead. She had been kidnapped, tortured and even forced to feed her own blood to her cannibalistic captors’ impossibly shriveled patriarch. Being new to the horror genre, I was sure she was going to die. It had been a few months since I survived a violent sexual assault, where I subsequently ran from my assailant, tripped, fell and fought like hell. I crawled home with bloody knees, makeup-stained cheeks and a new void in both my mind and heart. My sense of safety, my ability to trust others, my willingness to form new relationships and my love of spending time with people I cared about were all taken from me. It wasn’t until I found the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that something clicked. It was Sally’s strength, and her resilience. It was watching her survive blows to the head from a hammer. It was watching her break free from her bonds and burst through a glass window. It was watching her get back up after she’d been stabbed. It was watching her crawl into the back of a truck, laughing as it drove away from Leatherface. She was the last one to confront the killer, and live. I remember sitting in front of the TV and thinking, There I am. That’s me.”
~ Lauren Milici On “The Final Girl”

“‘Thriller’ enforced its own reality principle; it was there, part of the every commute, a serenade to every errand, a referent to every purchase, a fact of every life. You didn’t have to like it, you only had to acknowledge it. By July 6, 1984, when the Jacksons played the first show of their ‘Victory’ tour, in Kansas City, Missouri, Jacksonism had produced a system of commodification so complete that whatever and whoever was admitted to it instantly became a new commodity. People were no longer comsuming commodities as such things are conventionally understood (records, videos, posters, books, magazines, key rings, earrings necklaces pins buttons wigs voice-altering devices Pepsis t-shirts underwear hats scarves gloves jackets – and why were there no jeans called Bille Jeans?); they were consuming their own gestures of consumption. That is, they were consuming not a Tayloristic Michael Jackson, or any licensed facsimile, but themselves. Riding a Mobius strip of pure capitalism, that was the transubstantiation.”
~ Greil Marcus On Michael Jackson