Trailer: American Hustle (via – oddly – Good Morning America)

9 Responses to “Trailer: American Hustle (via – oddly – Good Morning America)”

1. The Pope says:

Is Russell the only person allowed to use Led Zeppelin? He’s beginning to own them cinematically the way Scorsese has done with the Stones for the last few decades.

2. movieman says:

Bale sure likes acting up a shit storm in Russell movies, doesn’t he?
    It’s like he’s making up for all those lost years of minimalist acting shackled behind the cowl of his Dark Knight costume.
    I do love the whole groovy ’70s/”Boogie Night” vibe, though, and that’s a terrific cast for sure.
    Count me in.

3. leahnz says:

i couldn’t figure it out at first with the changing angles/shots (and i honestly don’t think i’ve ever seen it before) but Bale’s hilarious hairdo features a dual comb-over going BOTH DIRECTIONS, like from two parts – one on each side of his head – going towards each other over the top…how the hell does that work? that may be the funniest thing i’ve ever seen.

4. tbunny says:

If this movie was directed by Andrew Stanton, the Led Zep would be a mannheim steamroller style bowdlerization.

Heavy Goodfellas type feeling. Amy Adams is bringing it. She’s making Sally Lawrence look kinda slow and bovine.

Syd Mead did design work in Elysium. You may remember his work from such movies as Blade Runner.

You better get in line and bring a notebook.

5. YancySkancy says:

I’m sure this will be great, but the trailer doesn’t tell you much of anything, beyond…

1. Amy Adams is hot.
    2. Jennifer Lawrence is hot.
    3. Hair is important.
    4. Adams and Bale go to a dry cleaners or something.
    5. There’s crime and money and booze and guns and warrants and a sting caught on camera.
    6. Led Zeppelin rocks.

I’d hate to hear the average viewer respond to the question “What’s it about?” after seeing this though.

6. YancySkancy says:

tbunny: “Sally Lawrence”? Really? Jeez, how famous does an actor have to get? :)

7. Chris says:

It’s a teaser, Yancy, for a movie that doesn’t come out for more than four months. I’m sure the second and third trailers will sell the story beats.

8. tbunny says:

I apologize. For some reason I thought her name was Sarah Lawrence then I thought Sally and obviously wasn’t thinking very clearly.

9. movielocke says:

frontrunner.

leahnz on: Weekend BYOING

leahnz on: Trailering CATS (2019) (Tugger warning)

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

palmtree on: Weekend BYOING

movieman on: Seen anything TWICE at theaters this year?

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

G Spot 3000 on: State of The Industry: Feb 2019

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier