Z

Video: Harry Hanrahan’s Hit By A Bus (NSFBOAS)

NSFBOAS – Not Safe For Backing Onto A Street

9 Responses to “Video: Harry Hanrahan’s Hit By A Bus (NSFBOAS)”

1. Triple Option says:

There are so many of these! I never realized. It’s the modern day equivalent to slipping on a banana peel. I didn’t get a chance to watch the whole thing but kinda surprised that even though I know generally what’s coming on some I was still cracking up.

2. YancySkancy says:

Amazing how many of these cheat the sound of the approaching vehicle, a tradition that goes back at least to the 1942 CAT PEOPLE.

Has there been a supercut of a related trope, the sudden smashing of a vehicle from the side, shot from inside the car? These days, anytime I see a shot through a side window, I brace myself for the sudden impact.

3. berg says:

I kept waiting for the Margaret clip …. Star Trek was good too, The City on the Edge of Forever is my favorite episode (although the camera cuts before the connect) next to Mirror Mirror … the first time I remember seeing this full-on effect was in Meet Joe Black

4. cadavra says:

Just proves how tiresome this cliche has become, even when it’s intended satirically.

5. Lex says:

LOL, pretty funny… Its sister cliche (even more tired and nowhere near as funny) is the “car getting hit at full speed on the passenger side,” which is always always telegraphed by a really terrible matte shot of the actor in the passenger seat that gives you just enough time to tense up at the lens-flared headlights before the ear-shattering crash.

6. YancySkancy says:

Lex: That’s what I said a few posts up, but you said it more concisely. It’s not always on the passenger’s side though. I think the first time I saw that one was in ADAPTATION.

7. Lex says:

Damn, I didn’t read Yancy’s comment, sorry.

I always think of THE FORGOTTEN with Julianne Moore as one of the first big ones of that, but it seems to happen in just about everything now.

8. etguild2 says:

Pretty good. Hanrahan’s clips are the best…”100 Greatest Insults of All Time” is still the best.

9. christian says:

OFFICE SPACE did it before ADAPTATION…

Do you know about Pokémon Go?
No. I don’t know what Pokémon Go is and what all these things are. You’re talking to somebody who made his first phone call at age 17. You’re talking to someone who doesn’t have a cell phone, for example, for cultural reasons. Tell me about Pokémon Go. What is happening on Pokémon Go?

It’s basically the first mainstream augmented reality program. It’s a game where the entire world is mapped and you walk around with the GPS on your phone. You walk around in the real world and can catch these little monsters and collect them. And everybody is playing it.
Does it tell you you’re here at San Vicente, close to Sunset Boulevard?

Yeah, it’s basically like a Google map.
But what does Pokémon do at this corner here?

“To make work out of your own imagination is an invitation to a lot of unforgiving hard slog, failure, satisfaction which doesn’t last long, more failure, discontent, maybe a prize, a bit more satisfaction, self doubt, dissatisfaction, lots more hard work and so on and so on. But anyone who’s persisted and written something and got to the end and even better had it published or performed learns quickly that the hard slog, the frustrations, the blind alleys and dead ends and scenes that don’t work and great ideas that turn to dust are in fact a big part of the work. The reward for the agony is not the ecstasy of Chuck Heston finishing the Sistine Chapel but still more agony that might also include some kind of not pleasure exactly, maybe a brief, terrible joy.”
~ Australian playwright Michael Gow