Evolution Of A Blog: The Next Step

Maybe I am not supposed to write this entry.

I have rewritten it twice as it sat on my desktop, day after day, only to have the last version disappear when I pushed “publish.”

Here’s the punchline… time for change.

I don’t know what the change will be. There are many things I love about the work I do. And I get reminded of this by people who I cherish… people who have been around long enough to have perspective. People who give a shit, in spite of all the ugliness into which we have seen the entertainment journalism business devolve.

I want to write more. I want to complain less. I love doing DP/30, but almost a thousand  interviews in, I want it to be better. I am not a shark, but if I don’t feel like I am moving forward, I feel like I might as well be dead (figuratively, for those prone to literalism). And right now, I must admit, I am not 100% sure where to go in The New Normal… which will be the New Normal for a while, whether it is great or shit.

It’s a new year tomorrow. Some room to breath. Some time to seriously consider what the boundaries of that New Normal are and what contribution I can make that would be worth making.

It’s that simple and that complex.

I will discuss, consider, and experiment in the months to come.

There is plenty I despise about what’s happened to journalism in recent years. But push comes to shove, there is still a lot that I absolutely adore… that I do not want to live without… that I want to see through rose-colored glasses again.

Wish me luck…

12 Responses to “Evolution Of A Blog: The Next Step”

1. movielocke says:

Don’t try and find “the new normal;” just do your thing and your thing will be normal–your normal will become part of the aggregate new normal, but if you’re chasing the aggregate you’ll never get included and somehow always wind up left behind or left out.

The cool kids never chase the cool, they just assume what they’re doing is cool by virtue of their doing it. Do that.

2. Brady says:

Nicely said, movielocke.

Greatness is a product of conviction. It’s tough watching such talented people adapt to a world that diminishes their potential.

That’s kinda my point, movielocke.

Not interested in being the new normal. Never have been. Never will be. But I can’t pretend it’s not there. It’s there. And it has a real effect. It must be accounted for.

4. sanj says:

DP – you need to be more clear about what type of journalism your talking about … it is aimed at the movie industry or the general movie audience cause you sorta do both … all the industry stuff belongs in variety or hollywood reporter but they won’t have you .. lots of words written about netflix and digital downloads but no real interviews with any of those people .

will you stop doing dp/30′s ? cause there seems to be a movie festival every month with 100′s of actors out there ….

i figured if you stoped doing mcn – you’d just end up being in charge of a movie festival doing behind the scenes work . you’d still talk to a lot of people in the movie business.

DP – can you make another channel on youtube with interviews that aren’t about movies 100% – just random
    videos with people who have something to say about entertainment .just use iphone to video .

- there’s one person who i’ve seen change on tv doing several different things – Karina Huber – she did music / science and business on tv.

check her videos

5. Glamourboy says:

So in other words…you’re still thinking about it.

I’ll alert the media.

6. LYT says:

David, your niche right now, like it or not, is looking at other people’s journalism, telling them what they’re doing wrong and how to do it better.

That is a niche not many are filling (other than maybe Criticwire). It might be something you should corner the market on. I say that as one who’s fallen victim occasionally.

7. Sam says:

Agree with LYT. I read just about everything here, but it’s the journalistic take on journalism that stands out as the unique offering.

8. anghus says:

you are brutally and laboriously over thinking this.

It’s like that scene in Tommy Boy where they’re at the diner and Farley explains how he destroys every opportunity for a sale by tearing apart a dinner roll.

Sam said it best. You are the guy who analyzes the guy. You are Nero who stands back and watches it all burn and comments on the rapidly deteriorating standards. Maybe you’re uncomfortable in that role, but i agree with Sam: it’s kind of your thing.

9. Captain Celluloid says:

Good luck.

I’m sure it will be interesting.

10. celluloidkid says:

David, I’m mostly a lurker, but just wanted to say that I’ve always appreciated your thorough and thoughtful film reviews and I’m hoping that whatever you decide to do, you might continue giving us the occasional one.

11. Krillian says:

Good luck finding your new thing.

12. arisp says:

Long-time reader (and occasional misanthropic poster) – good luck DP. I’ll still be around.

PcChongor on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

Sam on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

Hideki Oshiro on: DP/30: I AM, director Tom Shadyac

The Pope on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

KrazyEyes on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

movieman on: BYOB 111614

cadavra on: BYOB 111614

movieman on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

Kristopher Tapley on: BYOB: MIke Nichols

Brady on: Netflix, Nielsen, and The Elephant In The Room

“Teaching how to make a film is like trying to teach someone how to fuck. You can’t. You have to fuck to learn how to fuck. It’s just how it is. The filmmaker has to protect the adventurous side of their self. I’m an explorer, I’m an inventor. Doc Brown is the character I relate to the most and he’s a madman. He’s a madman alone, locked up with his ideas but he does whatever he wants. He makes what he makes because he wants to make it. Yes, the DeLorean has to work in order for him to be a madman with a purpose—the DeLorean should work—but the point is I think everyone should try and find their own DeLorean. When Zemeckis was trying to get Back To The Future made, which he was for seven years, he was trying to get a film made where basically a teenager gets in a time machine, goes back to 1954 and almost —-s his mother. That pitch is extremely subversive and twisted in a way. My point is, he had a fascinating idea that no one had done before, but was clearly special to him and he stuck to it and made it what it was. When you do that you can create culture, but I think a lot of movies are just echoing culture and there’s a difference.”
~ A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night Filmmaker Ana Lily Amirpour

Six rules for filmmaking from Mike Nichols
1. The careful application of terror is an important form of communication.
2. Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
3. There’s absolutely no substitute for genuine lack of preparation.
4. If you think there’s good in everybody, you haven’t met everybody.
5. Friends may come and go but enemies will certainly become studio heads.
6. No one ever lost anything by asking for more money.
~ Via Larry Karaszewski and Howard A. Rodman On Facebook