Trailer – The Lone Ranger

Better. No?

12 Responses to “Trailer – The Lone Ranger”

1. StellaPD says:

Better for sure, but what’s it about? Depp mentions justice and some bad guys are briefly glimpsed, but what the hell is the story? Or is that for the next trailer?

2. Sam says:

Very glad the trailer DOESN’T give away the story. Why do we even want that?

This was an A+ trailer. Lots of money shots, a glimpse of actual acting and character stuff. I still can’t imagine this being anything better than a fun time quickly forgotten, but this trailer sure sells it.

3. StellaPD says:

Yeah hints at a story in a trailer, so useless. Don’t know what I was thinking.

4. Smith says:

The first trailer hinted more at the story, didn’t it? Definitely seemed like the Lone Ranger and Tonto would be teaming up to take on a corrupt rail road tycoon or something close to that. Emphasis more on the origin story this time. Anyway, this looks like a lot of fun, and its a thrill to see a western getting the ultra big budget blockbuster treatment, but Disney, Bruckheimer, and Depp are all still warning signs.

I like the bit with the horse in the tree.

5. Joe Leydon says:

Stella: A Texas Ranger is the sole survivor of an ambush that leaves his fellow rangers dead. (Which is why he’s known as — wait for it… it’s coming — The Lone Ranger.) He’s befriended by an Indian (or, if you prefer, Native American) who advises him to wear a mask to help sustain the ruse that he is dead. Then the two guys team up to shoot people and blow up things, presumably as part of a plan to bring the ambushers to justice.

Now, really, what else do you need to know?

6. StellaPD says:

Jesus I thought it was a harmless query. Clearly not. That’s what I get for posting my first knee-jerk reaction to the trailer. And I can barely remember the first trailer.

7. Joe Leydon says:

Stella: We kid, because we love.

8. StellaPD says:

Well as long as it comes from a place of love, there’s no way I can object.

9. Krillian says:

Better. Still wouldn’t surprise me if this is an awful movie. Depp and Bonham Carter need to stop being in so many movies together. Watch her worm her way into Pirates 5.

BUT!…. I agree it looks like it could be popcorn fun, too.

10. Js Partisan says:

A much better trailer and a movie that’s coming across as a crazy ass western. Seeing as I love these characters and crazy ass westerns, this makes me doubly excited to see this movie.

11. anghus says:

Better until the final shot where the train gets thrown up into like a terrible computer generated clusterfuck a la Super 8, which still contains the most laughable train wreck in the history of film.

other than that, i’m interested.

12. StellaPD says:

More laughable than Under Siege 2: Dark Territory? And are there still werewolves in The Lone Ranger or were those cut when they trimmed the budget?

Kyle Buchanan: I think the deal with a lot of white, male critics is there’s a very empirical way that they write that they write their movie reviews that always puzzled me. Movies are such subjective things. Back in the day, I used to be the film critic for The Advocate, and it was really striking to me when I would go into screening rooms and I was by far the youngest. They were filled with old white men. And when you watch a film like Black Snake Moan, that’s playing with a whole lot of gender and race issues, I was like, Are like 70-year-old white men like really the sole voices that I want to hear on this movie? It just didn’t feel right.

Jen Yamato I’ve been very pleasantly surprised to see the receptions Moonlight has gotten. But one of the films that I was disappointed to see not get more traction was American Honey. I distinctly remember sitting in a screening room full of mostly older white guys and thinking during the film, How are any of them going to relate to this movie?

~ Taking On The “Old White Guys”

“I was frustrated, a bit angry even. There should be no need for winning in the arts. Awards condition people into thinking that art is a competition, that good cinema is prize-winning … that a filmmaker must win an award or two to be considered finance-worthy. It enables the slow death of many and lack of support for most. My films do not ask to be liked. In fact, my films actively seek to be disliked. It seems that I have failed at this goal. What does it mean to be political in the time of Trump… in the country of Duterte? I dedicate the film to all the outsiders of the world: kids, midgets, freaks, paralytics, prostitutes, scoundrels. These are my people. I make outsider films that talk about the pain and joy of not belonging, of always being on the outside peering in.”
~ Prolific Philippines Filmmaker Khavn de la Cruz On Getting A Prize From Geneva Int’l Film Fest